Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288 v3) not being integrated under Vista

Killgore

I've noticed it when trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express as it demands 4.5 (and on fresh Windows install says it's not installed).

I've checked Windows Installer files in sourcess folder and they are in 3.1 version. Then I looked in hsflip script and saw that WI 4.5 is integrated only when HOSTOS is XP. Why? Is there some workaround?

Here is log.

Host OS - Windows Vista

HFSLIP Version - 1.7.10H, build 100227

HFSLIP Path - D:\KG\SysIMG\HFslipXPSP3ProfCorp\

OS in SOURCESS - Windows XP Professional SP3 Polish

Drivers - SPX.CAB Added

CD Install Path - Default

CDTAG - win51

===============================================================================

Files in your HF folder:

WMP11\control.xml

WMP11\eula.txt

WMP11\KB925749.cab

WMP11\LegitLibM.dll

WMP11\mymusic.inf

WMP11\Revert.wmz

WMP11\setup_wm.exe

WMP11\skins.inf

WMP11\syncpl01.wpl

WMP11\syncpl02.wpl

WMP11\syncpl03.wpl

WMP11\syncpl04.wpl

WMP11\syncpl05.wpl

WMP11\syncpl06.wpl

WMP11\syncpl07.wpl

WMP11\syncpl08.wpl

WMP11\syncpl09.wpl

WMP11\syncpl10.wpl

WMP11\syncpl11.wpl

WMP11\syncpl12.wpl

WMP11\umdf.exe

WMP11\WindowsXP-MSCompPackV1-x86.exe

WMP11\wmdbexport.exe

WMP11\wmfdist11.exe

WMP11\wmp11.exe

WMP11\wmpappcompat.exe

directx_feb2010_redist.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB976662-x86-PLK.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-PLK.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB980302-x86-PLK.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB981332-x86-PLK.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-PLK.exe

rootsupd.exe

windows-kb890830-v3.7.exe

WindowsMedia11-KB929399-v2-x86-INTL.exe

WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB923561-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB941569-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

WindowsXP-KB946648-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB950762-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB950974-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB951066-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB951376-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB951748-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB951978-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB952004-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB952287-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB952954-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB956802-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB956803-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB956844-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB958869-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB959426-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB960859-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB961501-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB967715-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB968389-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB969059-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB969947-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB970238-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB970430-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB971468-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB971657-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB971737-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB972270-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB973507-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB973815-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB973869-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB973904-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB974112-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB974318-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB974392-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB974571-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB975025-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB975467-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB975560-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB975561-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB975713-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB977377-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB977816-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB977914-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978037-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978262-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978338-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978542-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978601-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB978706-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB979306-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB979309-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB979683-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB980232-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB968816-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-PLK.exe

Files in your HFCABS folder:

LegitCheckControl.cab

MUAuth.cab

MuCatalogWebControl.cab

muweb_site.cab

SWFLASH.CAB

wbemoc.cab

Files in your HFGUIRUNONCE folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

WindowsXP-KB968389-x86.reg

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder:

WindowsXP-KB969084-x86-plk.exe

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW2 folder:

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

boot.bin.bak

HFANSWER.INI

HFANSWER.INI.bak

mkisofs.exe

MODIFYPE.EXE.bak

wget.exe

Files in your REPLACE folder:

===============================================================================

HFSLIP run time: 13m33s

Hi!

I'm using it on my Sun VM to test all kinds of stuff i have interest in. BUT I would have many more applications for HFSLIP if you allowed commercial use. Which brings me to this question: why have you disallowed commercial use in the first place?

In beta thread I see you complaining about not getting any donations. Right now hfslip is very donations unfriendly. Software project that mostly IT people can benefit from that doesn't allow them to use it in their work and doesn't even have paypal link on its website.

Allow commercial use so that every IT technician that uses it can go to his boss and say: "this script will be extremely useful for us, let's make a monthly donation". You can even set a monthly goal like many projects have.

You have created great piece of software that I'm sure is used right now by thousands of IT guys violating your licence. You can get frustrated about it (and eventually stop hfslip development) or you can make profit from it. Your choice.

Just my 2 cents maybe not entirely on topic ;)

Edited by Killgore

It's not unfrieldly to give donations. All you gotta is email me, sorry if that's not straightforward enough. As far as corporate/business use, suppose an IT person used the software to load up all the machines at his place of employment. Then, under some strange circumstance, something doesn't work 100% correct. I'd be responsible and the corporate legal hawks will be flying to my front door. Besides, anyone working as an IT person will certainly have some MSCE training and certificate, for whatever it's worth. I'm sure slipstreaming is part of the class as opposed to 8 weeks of double click this and double click that. Then again, in the business and if anyone is actually a person, there is something called ethics. HFSLIP displays that it's for personal use all over the place. The user has to have the software terms and conditions file in order to run it.

I'm sure a majority of the programs here on msfn aren't for business use. Nlite isn't and nlite is a supurb piece of software. There's lots of topics on this same thing there. The topic was beaten to death on several topics here as well.

It's not unfrieldly to give donations. All you gotta is email me, sorry if that's not straightforward enough.

All I'm saying is that there are much more efficient methods. And that by disallowing commercial use you cut most of potential donations off.

As far as corporate/business use, suppose an IT person used the software to load up all the machines at his place of employment. Then, under some strange circumstance, something doesn't work 100% correct. I'd be responsible and the corporate legal hawks will be flying to my front door.

You know it's not true. Software fails all the time. Even Microsoft patches that your script slipstreams sometimes introduce bugs. Every software I know has this disclaimer that author is not responsible for anything blah, blah, blah. Why yours should be different?

Besides, anyone working as an IT person will certainly have some MSCE training and certificate, for whatever it's worth. I'm sure slipstreaming is part of the class as opposed to 8 weeks of double click this and double click that.

Well, besides the fact that patch integration is not the same thing your script does (as it does much more), do you really think that every computer technician has MSCE, MCP or CCCP? Like in computer store or something? But let's don't get distracted by unnecessary details.

Then again, in the business and if anyone is actually a person, there is something called ethics. HFSLIP displays that it's for personal use all over the place. The user has to have the software terms and conditions file in order to run it.

Yes, but the fact is you created script that is mostly useful in small firms. Not in large businesses where they have deployment servers, and for sure not at home because who needs e.g. multiboot CD at home? I mean XP home BOX for daddy, XP Home OEM for mummy and HP Pro for granddaddy? I know, there surely is this 0,01 % of home users that need things like this.

So, you've made a tool that is mostly useful for technicians in small firms and you've disallowed them to use it.

It's like making a cake, putting it in the shop window and saying "you can lick it through the window".

It's a torture.

You are torturing these poor people including me. Think about that.

I'm sure a majority of the programs here on msfn aren't for business use.

Why HFSLIP can't be different? Look, latest beta version was downloaded by almost 250 people. Let's say these are most active users. And let's say that half of them would like to pay some amount of money (maybe some small monthly donation - you can put it in "terms of use") for business use. Even few dollars times 100 gives few hundred dollars monthly. I know in USA it's not that much, but it's something (you could at least buy gas for your Hummer ;) )

Torture I must. Nuhi tortures his followers with Nlite. The next time you manually install a msft update, take a look at those terms and conditions. Live with it dude. I think that a malfunctioning OS is a far cry from a malfunctioning program you would install afterward. A fix for an HFSLIP'd OS is a complete reinstall. It's not as easy as you think.

Why should I continue this hobby as a non-paying job, huh? Let's see.... 2 years strong and not a single donation. I suppose it's not as helpful as I thought. Tell me, would you write a some code that some business would use against terms and conditions and then when something is at fault they would turn around and sue the pants from you? It could happen, but I'm protected by terms and conditions specified. And yep, they could have done so without even donating a single dime.

Try asking the same question on the Nlite board about using Nlite for corporate use. You'll get far more friendly messages from the nlite users.

Edit - on second thought, you bring up a good point. There is no need to look at a cake and lick it through the window. The cake is thrown away. I've discontinued support and any related downloads of the program. Have a nice day.

Edited by tommyp

Hi!

First - sorry for the long delay in replying.

Second - that's sad news. I'm by no means entitled to induce you to keep writing, after all it's your free time you spend on this project, but maybe you should reconsider your decision?

I think that a malfunctioning OS is a far cry from a malfunctioning program you would install afterward. A fix for an HFSLIP'd OS is a complete reinstall. It's not as easy as you think.

Well, we are not talking about mission critical, space shuttle controlling, life saving solutions, aren't we? These big fishes have their tools. We are talking about disposable virtual machines, small computer shops or small IT businesses.

Complete reinstall - no big deal, just back up Outlook, Documents and Favourites.

Why should I continue this hobby as a non-paying job, huh?

In fact you shouldn't. As I've said before I encourage you to introduce obligatory donations for business use.

Tell me, would you write a some code that some business would use against terms and conditions and then when something is at fault they would turn around and sue the pants from you?

To be honest, I don't entirely understand how have you come up with this being sued scenario. Have you heard about something like this? Like company suing MS or Adobe or even someone smaller because their application collapsed taking some precious data with it, which accidentally hasn't been even backed up?

Every IT guy should take his tools (including OS) with very limited trust. If he doesn't he will suffer. It's his job to protect users from malfunctioning tools. Errors happen. Databases get corrupted. No one sues database producer or failing driver producer or whatever failed this time for bugs in their software. Just repair, restore and go.

Another solution, if you are entirely fed up with hfslip, would be to release it as Open Source to let community continue your work.