how to hide "select network location" window?

Easiest way is to specify a network location in your XML.

<OOBE>

<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>

</OOBE>

But in case you prefer not to, there is another method. Try running this VBScript from oobeSystem > RunAsynchronous to kill it.

Set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Do While Not Wshshell.AppActivate ("Establecer ubicacion de Red")
Wscript.sleep 1000
Loop
Wshshell.AppActivate "Establecer ubicacion de Red"
Wshshell.SendKeys "%{F4}"

Original source

easiest way is to set a GPO to:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Network List Manager Policies\All Networks. Change Network Location to "User cannot change location"

• 3 months later...

But in case you prefer not to, there is another method. Try running this VBScript from oobeSystem > RunAsynchronous to kill it.

Set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Do While Not Wshshell.AppActivate ("Establecer ubicacion de Red")
Wscript.sleep 1000
Loop
Wshshell.AppActivate "Establecer ubicacion de Red"
Wshshell.SendKeys "%{F4}"

Original source

Having read the blog posting, I still don't know how to import the <RunAsynchronous> section with the WSIM: Microsoft's tool only suggests it for windowsPE, but not under oobeSystem. Any ideas or expertise on how to do this?

And what about the <Path> attribute, i.e. where to put this vbs script within the installation directory structure?

Thanks in advance,

Mikka

Edit:

Instead of oobeSystem it seems specialize will do. But same problem here: How to refer back to the file?

Edited by Mikka

Easiest way is to specify a network location in your XML.

<OOBE>

<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>

</OOBE>

Original source

but some reason even put <NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation> windows launch the select network pop up but if you put

<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> windows dont launch the select network well this work for me if you have a home network or work you can adjust settings in control panel after first logon.

but some reason even put <NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation> windows launch the select network pop up but if you put <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> windows dont launch the select network well this work for me if you have a home network or work you can adjust settings in control panel after first logon.

I tried it with every option, the windows shows up anytime.

but some reason even put <NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation> windows launch the select network pop up but if you put <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> windows dont launch the select network well this work for me if you have a home network or work you can adjust settings in control panel after first logon.

I tried it with every option, the windows shows up anytime.

this is my code in OOBE.

<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation>
<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
</OOBE>

and the select pop up never showed.

if it doesnt work should be something wrong in unattend.xml <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> skip the network selection for sure.

this is my code in OOBE.

<OOBE>
</OOBE>

if it doesnt work should be something wrong in unattend.xml <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> skip the network selection for sure.

I was made aware of this misconception and tried it explicitely with both <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> and <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>. I had the friggin window showing up again, no difference to Work/2, Home/1.

(If I omit the attribute <SkipMachineOOBE>, the "select network location" window won't appear, instead I'm nagged for entering data for a new user account which I don't want either as it breaks my unattended installation.)

Edit: Attached latest Autounattend.xml

Autounattend.xml

Edited by Mikka

this is my code in OOBE.

<OOBE>
</OOBE>

I was made aware of this misconception and tried it explicitely with both <NetworkLocation>Other</NetworkLocation> and <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>. I had the friggin window showing up again, no difference to Work/2, Home/1.

(If I omit the attribute <SkipMachineOOBE>, the "select network location" window won't appear, instead I'm nagged for entering data for a new user account which I don't want either as it breaks my unattended installation.)

Edit: Attached latest Autounattend.xml

<SkipUserOOBE> and <SkipMachineOOBE> are deprecated by microsoft so there is no need to use them still works but you can use others methods to avoid user creation like in localccounts create a new user:

<OOBE>
</OOBE>

and this in useraccounts:

<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value>password-value</Value>
</AdministratorPassword>
<LocalAccounts>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Password>
<Value>password-value</Value>
</Password>
<Description>testing</Description>
<DisplayName>test-user</DisplayName>
<Group>Administrators</Group>
<Name>test-user</Name>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>

try this.

you can create a script to delete or disable any user you create in localaccounts after install windows if you dont want any other accounts.