Remote Desktop issue

jackinv

There's probly and easy solution to this one but I can seem to string the right words together to find my desired answer. I'm trying to remote connect into my home XP machine from my XP/Win7 laptop(I have the same issue either way). Now remote desktop works perfectly but when I disconnect either from the start menu or by clicking the X the remote computer flickers then goes to the user account I was working on and stays on, meaning whoever wants to mess with my account can. Obviously not something I want. Is there a way to disconnect and have the remote computer kicked to the user switch screen but stay logged on. Meaning that someone could click on that account and have to put in the pass or be forced to use a different account where as I if I wanted to could just remote back into it at another time? Thanks.

There's probly and easy solution to this one but I can seem to string the right words together to find my desired answer. I'm trying to remote connect into my home XP machine from my XP/Win7 laptop(I have the same issue either way). Now remote desktop works perfectly but when I disconnect either from the start menu or by clicking the X the remote computer flickers then goes to the user account I was working on and stays on, meaning whoever wants to mess with my account can. Obviously not something I want. Is there a way to disconnect and have the remote computer kicked to the user switch screen but stay logged on. Meaning that someone could click on that account and have to put in the pass or be forced to use a different account where as I if I wanted to could just remote back into it at another time? Thanks.

I've reduced this issue to being that if I start my computer, and log into my account at the user selection screen then regardless of whether I select "switch user" and leave the account on or leave the account on the desktop then RDP into it then disconnect it will show my desktop to everyone. However... it seems that if I start the computer and use RDP FIRST to log onto the account then disconnect it will kick back to the user selection screen.

I then got to wondering, ok, what if I login on the remote computer first, then RDP into it, then disconnect, then reconnect and finally select log off. This of course gives me the dreaded "Maximum Connections" problem. And supposedly I should be able to log in with my administrator account via mstsc /console (RDP console) but this ALSO does not work. Regardless if I try to use my user account (which has admin privledges) or the hidden Administrator account that I set and pass up for. Either way it still gives me the "Maximum connections" problem.

I've used the following in Command prompt: mstsc /v:SERVERNAME /f -console (where servername is ip or name), mstsc /console, and mstsc /admin. None of these worked :\ Any one have a solution to either of these problems.

Yeah I've thought about using other softwares to sidestep it. I guess really what it comes down to is don't log into your account locally if you're going to log into it remotely later. And if you do decide to log into it remotely later, don't press log off or log off locally before logging in and out remotely at a later time. This hopefully won't be an issue when I'm gone because I'm the only one with access to that user anyhow.