Access Denied Problem

dexterdoo

When I enter the Configuration Utility via msconfig and make a change I get an “Access Denied”error saying I need to log on as an Administrator - when I AM logged in as Administrator ! I’ve been reading for hours and it’s driving me nuts. Probably because I don’t understand how this all works (permissions, etc.)

I tried logging in as “Administrator” with a blank password but still get the “access denied” message. I live a stone’s throw from the Golden Gate Bridge so if someone can’t help me with this, I’m going over the rail ! LOL :D

Ok just want to make sure you are running Windows XP. Also is it Home or Pro, or are you on a Domain or is this computer part of a domain but logged in locally? Are you having problems opening any other programs, such as Task Manager or MMC.EXE? Some viruses will do behaviour like this.

Also if you are just trying to get at the startup list, you can also get there with CCleaner. That being said, I'm not advocating that CCleaner is a workaround if there is a problem with your system, but if you are troubleshooting an issue, this may be a quick fix and then work on fixing the MSCONFIG problem after.

I'm using XP Pro and I'm logged in locally. I can open Task Manager and anything else. Seems like even though it says I'm an Administrator,I'm still denied access, especially if a registry change is involved, like when I tried to install MS Office. There are a couple of users designated as administrator but none of them can gain access. Will the "real" Administrator please stand up?!!!" LOL

I ran MalwareBytes and it found 19 infections and and removed them all. The computer has McAfee Security Center on it so I run a scan in Safe Mode now.

Actually,I was going into boot.ini to set it for Safe Mode since I was already in Windows. But I'm denied any changes. There must be a hidden Administrator or something. I can't believe I'm going to have to reinstall all of the software because of this ...... :(

Edited by dexterdoo

net user administrator

Can you run this command for me and tell me what comes up in the 'local group membership' line. It wouldn't be too hard for a virus to change your group membership. Being Administrator isn't much use if you are not in the 'Administrators' local group. Ideally, this is what you want to see near the end of the command.

Local Group Memberships      *Administrators

I ran MalwareBytes and it found 19 infections and and removed them all. The computer has McAfee Security Center on it so I run a scan in Safe Mode now.

You know the saying, where there is smoke .....

Any chance you can take the HDD offline and run your scan from a different computer or winPE. This way any rootkits are not loaded into memory and hiding from your scanners.

I have the same behaviour when modifying the boot.ini but the changes will be done after the error message.

By the way it might be faster to edit it with notepad after removing R, S and H attributes from command line:

attrib -r -s -h %systemdrive%\boot.ini

Then editing with notepad:

notepad %systemdrive%\boot.ini

the safemode swith must be added like this: /safeboot:minimal

And in the end adding back R H S attributes.

attrib +r +s +h %systemdrive%\boot.ini

Edited by allen2

Mr.Jinje, I ran "net user administrator" and did get Local Group Memberships *Administrators

I can't run the HDD offline right now.

Tripredacus, GPRESULT said a whole lot ! What should I be looking for ?

For both COMPUTER SETTINGS and USER SETTINGS, The values of "Group Policy was applied from" and anything under the "Applied Group Policy Objects" section. It may either have content (including a domain which you can edit the name of if you wish) or it may say N/A.

If you do not see this, use GPRESULT /R.

For example, I am using a computer that is a domain member, but I am logged on as the local administrator. Under COMPUTER SETTINGS, the Group Policy Was Applied From shows the domain controller. My Applied Group Policy Objects are:

Default Domain Policy

DST Registry Update and Refresh

WSUS

However, under USER SETTINGS, I have N/A for both of those. Even so, since I am using a computer that is joined to a domain (even if not using it) the Computer Settings GPOs still are in effect.