*Fixed* Problems with fresh install on new build

the_vandyl

I see your point, but wouldn't it be quicker to just get his XP CD and try installing that.

Sure, why not. Not sure if it would be any faster mind you.

If installation is successful, that proves that the hardware is working, without him actually having to do any hardware testing.

It wouldn't prove it completely works (it often installs just fine with bad RAM, etc), but it would be a decent test too for sure.

i'm testing a RAID array now, there is a science to this stuff, and admittedly I have lost a bit of knowledge and know-how as XP has been my OS for quite sometime now....I've tried numerous BIOS settings for the HD controllers, AHCI, ACPI S1/S3, RAID-IDE...I've gotten rid of all hardware short of essentials....i don't have another system to benchmark it from since the systems I have are all 5+ years old (AMD X2 based, plain old DDR memory, SATA 1.5) the new tech is totally different...I'm comfortable with what I already had, but the games of today are lacking on my old systems.

Hey, as it turns out the OCZ Solid 2 had some corrupted data on it, did a command line "clean" "clean all" and alignment on it and the install went fine....I read that these steps were not necessary for the newer OCZ SSD's and mine has the latest firmware so i just ignored the possibility altogether....thanks for all the help, it's been a very frustrating week!