Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Corsair Dominator 4gb

4x WD 640Gb Black Edition Caviars in RAID 10

OCZ Solid II SSD 120gb as system drive

Corsair HX750 PSU

2x XFX Radeon 5870 XXX edition

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit OEM

the problem:

I get to the end of the second step "expanding system files" and it BSOD's with the following stop error 00x00000024, which is a NTFS.sys issue according to all I can gather. I have changed ACPI to S3 and S1, I have changed the SATA drives to ACHI, I have removed 1 stick of RAM, I have removed all the other hard drives...I am pulling my hair out trying to crack this stupid error. I have never had anything on any of these drives, they are new, as is all of the other hardware. I have checked guides for installing the OS on an SSD, still nothing...is there something I am missing???? Please HELP!o.O

Edited by the_vandyl

Oh you should probably change it back to S3 for Windows 7. THis would definately appear to be a problem with the HDD and not the other components. Unfortunately, I do not know much about installing Windows (any version) on an SSD.

MrJinje, why would i need to burn an ISO? I paid for a DVD from microsoft, there shouldn't be a problem with it.... I will have to try downloading the ISO...what a pain....Okay, I give, where do i get an ISO of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit???? arrgggghhhhh....!

Tripredacus, I put it back in S3 suspend mode, never made a difference... :}

Edited by the_vandyl
Removed unecessary profanity -- see the forum rules

If you have a second computer available, you could try to do an offline installation using imagex from the WAIK. This basically does the boot.wim portion (which is causing your error) without having to actually boot from the DVD.

Here is the syntax. Change the D:\Sources\Install.wim to match your DVD path, and change E: to match your SSD's drive letter. The '4' indicates imagex to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64. After the image has been laid on the SSD, then you can boot from the SSD and the installation should continue. Not the ideal solution, use it or don't, it's just an idea.

imagex.exe /Apply D:\Sources\Install.wim 4 E:

@Gosh, I don't think this is a driver issue. The fact that he was able to start the installation proves that the boot.wim could recognize the SATA controller. Normally missing drivers generates the 'no hard drives detected' error and stops the installation cold.

MrJinje, I am new to imagex and WAIK....I have XP pro SP3 on my machines, my familiarity with Vista was limited to a laptop that took 4 minutes to login, so it was sold. I joined this forum in '05 to make a nLite disk for my XP builds and technology has since passed me in a few light years....wish me luck :)

Okay, nothing is working, imagex is too new for me...i'm lost, i understand the syntax, i'm missing a step somewhere and this whole fiasco is yet another bitter pill brought to me by micro$oft. I need to know where to get the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ISO from now so i can burn a new disk, i have the OEM disk that is bunk....any help????????

:realmad:

We WILL NOT help you with any source to get "The Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ISO" from. other than to say you can only get it from an official source like a MSDN account or buy it from a retailer...

i see....thanks. I am not phishing for a bootleg here, guess I'll have to study up on WAIK a bit....just really, really frustrated is all.

I paid for a DVD

if you can, I would return to your retailer and tell them to exchange your DVD for one that is not scratched. Tell them the **** thing is not installing and raise bloody hell. They will likely swap you out, just to shut you up.

But if you bought directly from Microsoft, you might be S.O.L.

Edited by MrJinje

I'm not totally sure it's the DVD that is bad. Chances are that some of his new hardware is defective (it happens). The first thing I would do is trying to swap some parts out (like trying to install on a plain old HD instead of the SSD just to see if it still crashes, then if that fails run memtest86+, checking the PSU voltages, temps, looking at available BIOS updates, etc). It could even be the optical drive itself that is bad (I've seen a fair amount of them that didn't play nice with some system configs before too)

I paid for a DVD

if you can, I would return to your retailer and tell them to exchange your DVD for one that is not scratched. Tell them the **** thing is not installing and raise bloody hell. They will likely swap you out, just to shut you up.

HAhhahh...yes, I actually just got off the phone with Microsoft and I wasn't very happy, I have a work ticket and the returns department is supposed to call me in the morning. I found it ironic that they have zero knowledge base about this issue, yet it is known in the tech community... :wacko:

Okay, nothing is working, imagex is too new for me...i'm lost, i understand the syntax, i'm missing a step somewhere and this whole fiasco is yet another bitter pill brought to me by micro$oft. I need to know where to get the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ISO from now so i can burn a new disk, i have the OEM disk that is bunk....any help????????

:realmad:

found the missing step...WAIK cannot be used on XP machines....i don't have server 2003, vista or 7...so i am screwed

I'm not totally sure it's the DVD that is bad. Chances are that some of his new hardware is defective (it happens). The first thing I would do is trying to swap some parts out (like trying to install on a plain old HD instead of the SSD just to see if it still crashes, then if that fails run memtest86+, checking the PSU voltages, temps, looking at available BIOS updates, etc). It could even be the optical drive itself that is bad (I've seen a fair amount of them that didn't play nice with some system configs before too)

I see your point, but wouldn't it be quicker to just get his XP CD and try installing that. If installation is successful, that proves that the hardware is working, without him actually having to do any hardware testing.

Work smarter not harder.

found the missing step...WAIK cannot be used on XP machines....i don't have server 2003, vista or 7...so i am screwed

It should work from the Vista WAIK... (it installs on XP SP2) if you want to go that route.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=94BB6E34-D890-4932-81A5-5B50C657DE08&displaylang=en

Edited by MrJinje