[SOLVED] Boot XP Install

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a multiboot USB flash drive from which I can select OS to install. I have been reading this & boot-land forum for almost a week but couldn't make it. Main reason that I couldn't do it is that I want to do it manual way (no automation programs). Currently I have successfully installed GrubForDos onto flash and it is working. Now problem is that i can't start xp setup. The closest thing i came was this thread (post & beginning)

but file that modifies boot files can't be downloaded. So first things first:

1. Is it possible to make USB with grub4dos or any other boot loader that can install Xp32 Attended/Unattended/SataDrivers & Windows7 from usb?

2. Can i make folder structure like this or i need to have xpXX folders in root of drive (I renamed i386 folders to xpXX)

/

grub

windows

xp00

setupldr.bin

ntdetect.com

xp01

3. Can you tell me or point me to information on how to start XP installation.

Thanks!

Edited by zveljkovic

I want to do it manual way

You are sure?
for almost a week
Expect some month to create a fine solution.

There are two modes at XP install: from (USB) CD and from local internal hard disk

A CD solution won't work at hard disk.

XP setup dosn't support a USB hard disk.

You have to cheat XP setup to use a USB mass storage devive.

Apporaches has been discussed here "Install Windows from USB". Read all previous messages here.

Read some history first

If you boot from USB and like to run setup:

Setupldr.bin is the setup loader. To run setup chainload setupldr.bin.

Or boot a PE and preapre local internal hard disk intallation.

Edited by cdob

Hi again. I have read the matter and i have a problem with creating boot files for xp. Problem is that i have windows7 and cant execute xpSource/i386/winnt32.exe /create.. /noreboot command

1. Is there other way to obtain required files?

2. If xp source is nlited or with integrated drivers, does it affects something?

Thanks

Edit:

Going through usb_multiboot.cmd i found that it creates $WIN_NT$.~BT by copying files from [FloppyFiles.Number] where Number is not 'x'. Can someone confirm me this?

Edit2: Still figuring out the other folder but usb_multiboot.cmd is best tutorial i could find. Thanks!

3. And one more question. It seems that everyone is using ntldr with boot.ini as first loader and if needed they load a grub4dos. Is it possible to load everything from grub4dos (xp/7 installation, linux installations, other boot disks)?

Edited by zveljkovic

Hi again. I have read the matter ...

No, you haven't :(, at the most you have quickly skimmed through them.

Unless you are (choose one) Flash Gordon or Superman :w00t:, it's simply not possible that you have actually read and understood the given links in a few hours.

1. Is there other way to obtain required files?

WHICH files?

2. If xp source is nlited or with integrated drivers, does it affects something?

Yes/No.

Last time I counted them (very approximately) there were at least 12^15^2=2,37376E+32 ways to nlite/integrate an XP source, and this without counting OEM sources.

3. And one more question. It seems that everyone is using ntldr with boot.ini as first loader and if needed they load a grub4dos. Is it possible to load everything from grub4dos (xp/7 installation, linux installations, other boot disks)?

This has nothing to do with XP install and a lot to do with grub4dos:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/Grub4dos.htm

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/install_windows.htm

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/boot.htm

jaclaz

No, you haven't :(, at the most you have quickly skimmed through them.

Unless you are (choose one) Flash Gordon or Superman :w00t:, it's simply not possible that you have actually read and understood the given links in a few hours.

I didn't express my self clearly. I have read the info to the time where I need to get boot files. There i got the problem.

WHICH files?

I thought that the

i have a problem with creating boot files for xp. Problem is that i have windows7 and cant execute xpSource/i386/winnt32.exe /create.. /noreboot command

will pinpoint the problem but couldn't remember the correct name for first argument... So i have problem doing this :

"in the XP setup folder \I386 run winnt32 /makelocalsource /noreboot" mentioned here,here and here because i got error that OS in cd is older than current and can't be run. (Tried compatability settings for XP)

I have read all those links few days ago and there are no information about how to start a Xp or any other system installation. They are about how to install grub and how to run systems (allready installed) from grub. My question was about is it possible to start XP/Win7/Linux OS installations from grub4dos or I need to use multiple boot loaders...

P.S. If i need to choose, i'll be Flash Gordon ;)

You can start installation from grub4dos by chainloading the appropriate file.

2000/XP/2003-->setupldr.bin

Vista/7-->bootmgr

Linux-->kernel & initrd files

For 2000/XP/2003 default MS method when installing from HD-like media ( winnt.sif-->'data' section-->msdosinitiated=1 )is use of ~BT (boot) and ~LS (local source) folders. However, there are number of glitches on the way, which were somehow sorted out or workarounds found while this project was being developed. There are still limitations, which cannot be overcame, at least not easily. All are mentioned several times in the "historic" thread and scattered around this subforum. That's why now you can find several improved methods in the pinned topics.

If you want to go the path which took several forum members many months experimenting and finding resolutions- sure, why not, there is a lot to be learned, in many areas. But do not expect this to go easy as 1,2,3, boot files are just the first problem, many other to follow ;) At least now we have answers for all or most of them, so you would not be banging your head wondering why the heck something is(not) happening.

If you search the subforum a bit you will find a few posts of mine where the whole procedure is summarized, step by step, and where the issues are.

If you want to save yourself time and headaches- use well tested method in any of the pinned topics and focus on it, why not even on improving it.

Added:

I didn't express my self clearly. I have read the info to the time where I need to get boot files. There i got the problem.

Yep, but you see, this is not a "recipe" or "tutorial", in which you have to follow a given number of steps in a given order, you need to read an understand the "whole" before attempting re-creating it.

WHICH files?

I thought that the

i have a problem with creating boot files for xp. Problem is that i have windows7 and cant execute xpSource/i386/winnt32.exe /create.. /noreboot command

will pinpoint the problem but couldn't remember the correct name for first argument... So i have problem doing this

Well, that is not doing it "manually", if you read attentively the link on flyakite's site:

http://flyakite.msfn.org/xpprosp1.htm

Creating the Boot Folder

Thanks to gosh from the MSFN forums, I have discovered a much better way to obtain the boot files. While this method is a slight pain, it ensures that everyone has the proper boot files for their DVD. Go to Start -> Run and type or paste the following command with the correct drive letter of course:

D:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP\Professional\i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot

Windows XP setup should come up. Choose "New Installation" and go through the options as usual. Do NOT download updated setup files. At the "Setup Options" screen, click on "Advanced Options" and make sure "copy all installation files from the CD" is checked. If it is grayed out don't worry about it.

Setup should create 2 folders in the root of your main drive. They will be hidden so make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is enabled.

$WIN_NT$.~BT - the boot folder

$WIN_NT$.~LS - installation files folder

Delete $WIN_NT$.~LS that was just created. All we're concerned with is the boot folder.

Rename $WIN_NT$.~BT to PRO1 and move the entire folder into the AIO-DVD folder.

It is just a handy way to:

1. create two folders
  2. copy to them a number of files from the source \I386\

If you check the "previous" version of flyakite's guide (on msfnhosting.com instead of msfn.org, but you couldn't have this info :)) still available here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/xpprosp1.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20040209050256/http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/xpprosp1.htm

and you read here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2362

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2254

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

you will see how the "circle is closing itself".

As said, the rabbit hole may be deeper than you may think. ;)

It is strongly recommended that you use an install of XP in a VM in order to do experiments, if you don't have an actual machine running XP.

I have read all those links few days ago and there are no information about how to start a Xp or any other system installation. They are about how to install grub and how to run systems (allready installed) from grub. My question was about is it possible to start XP/Win7/Linux OS installations from grub4dos or I need to use multiple boot loaders...

Well, the link you posted:

step 3 is an example of grub4dos directly chainloading SETUPLDR.BIN (which is the SETUP LoaDeR for NT 4/5.x, also used in any PE 1.x, like Bart's PE or for the Recovery Console).

In NT 6/7 BOOTMGR is used BOTH for booting the actual installed system AND the SETUP.

So, yes, grub4dos can directly chainload SETUPLDR.BIN and BOOTMGR, thus it can initiate an install allright. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

You can start installation from grub4dos by chainloading the appropriate file.

2000/XP/2003-->setupldr.bin

Vista/7-->bootmgr

Linux-->kernel & initrd files

For 2000/XP/2003 default MS method when installing from HD-like media ( winnt.sif-->'data' section-->msdosinitiated=1 )is use of ~BT (boot) and ~LS (local source) folders. However, there are number of glitches on the way, which were somehow sorted out or workarounds found while this project was being developed. There are still limitations, which cannot be overcame, at least not easily. All are mentioned several times in the "historic" thread and scattered around this subforum. That's why now you can find several improved methods in the pinned topics.

If you want to go the path which took several forum members many months experimenting and finding resolutions- sure, why not, there is a lot to be learned, in many areas. But do not expect this to go easy as 1,2,3, boot files are just the first problem, many other to follow ;) At least now we have answers for all or most of them, so you would not be banging your head wondering why the heck something is(not) happening.

If you search the subforum a bit you will find a few posts of mine where the whole procedure is summarized, step by step, and where the issues are.

If you want to save yourself time and headaches- use well tested method in any of the pinned topics and focus on it, why not even on improving it.

You said that very smart. I have a problem that its harder for me to learn new stuff from all-ready made thing then to try to do that and learn along the way. Maybe is best that i put my time in learning of tested methods and to improve them then to reinvent the wheel. Thank you for good advice.

Regards