Win XP Booting Problem

novicee

WIN XP Booting Problem - 5 May 10

I have a problem starting Win XP (Home Ed).

Win XP is installed on a first hard disk drive (HDD1) and Ubuntu 9.10 on a second (HDD2).

The dual boot worked well up until one day I used a Gigabyte utility called “Easy Tune 6”, installed under Win XP, to change CMOS settings. Now when I choose Win XP from the dual boot menu, the boot process gets as far as displaying the Win XP flag page for about 5 secs and then changes to a blue screen on which flashes a message too fast to capture and then my computer restarts. Ubuntu 9.10 continues to boot without any problems.

Questions I would appreciate help with are :

1. At what stage of the Win XP boot process is the Win XP flag page displayed ?

2. Do I need to reset the Master Boot Record on HDD1 and reinstall Win XP?

3. On which HDD is the dual boot menu located? Win XP was installed to HDD1 before Ubuntu 9.10 was installed to HDD2. The Unbuntu 9.10 install created the dual boot menu.

- Novice

Edited by novicee

See if you can boot XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the flag page. Then open System Properties (right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings-> System Failure -> Untick Automatically Restart and restart the PC), so there is a chance you can see that BSOD page and tell us exactly what it says. Make sure to write down a line like this "***STOP 0x0000007B (0xF789E63C, 0Xc0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)" and the name of the error, for e.g. "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Edit: Welcome to MSFN :)

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

See if you can boot XP in Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the flag page. Then open System Properties (right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings-> System Failure -> Untick Automatically Restart and restart the PC), so there is a chance you can see that BSOD page and tell us exactly what it says. Make sure to write down a line like this "***STOP 0x0000007B (0xF789E63C, 0Xc0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)" and the name of the error, for e.g. "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Edit: Welcome to MSFN :)

If he can't get to Windows, you can disable the automatic restart on failure right on the F8 menu itself.

WIN XP Booting Problem - 6 May 10

Thanks for the suggestion to try F8 before the Win XP flag page appeared.

I was able to get the F8 menu but when I chose the “Safe Mode” option the BSOD flashed past in the usual way and my computer restarted. I then tried the “disable automatic restart on failure” option on the F8 menu and this stopped the boot process at the BSOD and at last I could read its message.

MESSAGE DISPLAYED ON BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technicial Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524, OxC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

END OF MESSAGE

I Googled 0xBACC3524 and at

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/438085-windows-service-pack-2-issue.html

I found this entry :

STOP: 0x0000007B

Some Common reasons for this could be:

1) This is the most common reason. The Operating System, in this case

Windows XP does not have working a driver for the controller card that is

being used in this system.

2) This can be caused by boot sector viruses. So make sure that the system

is scanned for viruses before starting the SP installation.

3) The volume could be corrupt and is not readable. When trying to read the

volume it is not finding the data on it or the data is illegible.

4) The registry may be corrupted.

5) Drive Translation is being used that is not being understood.

Given my problem started with using Gigabyte's “Easy Tune 6” to change CMOS settings I am guessing something in the MBR no longer agrees with the CMOS settings.

- Novice

The mode for the Mass Storage Controller changed. For example, if you originally installed your XP with the HDD set for IDE in the BIOS, then went to the BIOS and change it to AHCI or RAID, you will get this message. Check your Drive setting in the BIOS.

• 3 weeks later...

WIN XP Booting Problem - 22 May 10

Tripredacus, thanks for the info in your post of 6 May. It is exactly what I did. I installed Win XP with the BIOS set for IDE and subsequently set the BIOS for AHCI.

I found the following at http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

“The problem is that if you installed Windows in IDE mode (ie you didn't use F6 and supply a driver disk), then simply changing the BIOS setting to AHCI mode and rebooting will cause Windows to fail and will require a repair install. Most people have been advising to reinstall Windows if you want AHCI enabled.”

I have read that Win 7 supports AHCI “out of the box” so instead of re-installing Win XP I may try to install Win 7 to replace Win XP.

I had previously installed Win XP then Ubuntu 9.10 which created a dual boot menu. If I install Win 7 the order will be Ubuntu 9.10 (which is already present on my HDD2) followed by an install of Win 7 to my HDD1.

Any ideas on whether this will work would be appreciated.

- Novice

Edited by novicee

You can install the right driver post install allright.

1. Go to the BIOS, set the drive in IDE mode.
  2. Read the post you found:
  3. http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
  4. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444&st=589
  5. Install the driver as detailed there.

WHAT is the problem? :unsure:

Getting the data to write the small .reg file?

jaclaz

23 May 10

Clarification

Apologies. I did not make it clear what I was asking.

I do not want to revert to Win XP. Instead I want to replace my Win XP / Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot with a Win 7 / Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot.

In the best of all possible worlds I would leave my BIOS unchanged with its current AHCI setting and install Win 7 which would subsitute itself for my disabled Win XP in my dual boot menu. However I have a feeling it will not be that simple. I suspect installing Win 7 (assuming that is possible on top of a disabled Win XP) will mess up my dual boot menu which was created by Unbuntu 9.10 when it was installed.

My questions are :

Q1. Can Win 7 be installed on top of a disabled Win XP ?

Q2. If yes and I install Win 7 will it mess up my dual boot menu or simply substitute itself for Win XP in the menu ?

Any help in answering these questions would be appreciated.

Enabling AHCI on Win XP without reinstalling Win XP

I am not sure I could implement the solution at http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=444831 .

One reason is I do not understand a basic premise of the solution. For example, it begins:

“1. Go to Intel's download centre and download the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (7.6.0.1011, 8/2/2007 at time of writing) for your OS:”

Where do you go FROM to get to Intel's download centre ? My Win XP will not start in “Safe Mode” so what is the environment in which the solution can be implemented?

- Novice

“Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler” - Einstein

@novicee

In your words your XP install worked until (though a gigabyte utility) you changed the BIOS settings, simply re-enable IDE mode at BIOS and XP will work as before.

What do you mean FROM?

If you can boot Linux, use Linux, if you cannot, use another PC....

Not necessarily you have to go to Intel download center, the linked to thread is for a specific chipset/motherboard which EXACT motherboard do you have?

It is possible that the drivers are on Gigabyte's site or anywhere else on the internet.

About installing Windows 7, I don't see the problem, if you want to install it INSTEAD of XP, but right now you failed to provide ANY useful information on how you set your existing dual boot.

Which is your PRIMARY bootloader?

Which MBR code are you using right now?

Which "menu" are you talking about?

A dual boot XP+Linux can be set up at least as:

1. Standard XP MBR->Standard XP bootsector of Active partition->NTLDR->BOOT.INI->whatever
  2. Standard XP MBR->bootsector of Active partition->whatever bootmanager
  3. Bootmanager MBR->whatever

An install of Windows 7 will probably only "recognise" #1 above, integrating it in the new install without "user intervention".

jaclaz