Graphics card for Windows 98SE

CharlesF

Hi,

what could be the best graphics (video) card available for Windows 98SE?

The computer is a Dell:

- Pentium III 500 MHz processor

- PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

- 384 MB SDRAM DIMM

- Chipset Intel 440BX AGPset

- PCI 100MHz - 512 Ko cache

- DirectX 9.0c installed - KernelEx

- current card is NVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 AGP 2x (32 MB).

Thanks by advance for your help. :hello:

Hi,

what could be the best graphics (video) card available for Windows 98SE?

The computer is a Dell:

- Pentium III 500 MHz processor

- PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

- 384 MB SDRAM DIMM

- Chipset Intel 440BX AGPset

- PCI 100MHz - 512 Ko cache

- DirectX 9.0c installed - KernelEx

- current card is NVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64 AGP 2x (32 MB).

Thanks by advance for your help. :hello:

What is the Dell model number of the computer? And does it have an AGP slot or only PCI?

With the 440BX chipset, it is most likely you are limited to the earliest Geforce series of videocards.

Here is a Google search list I did for you: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=440bx+best+video+card&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I have a 98SE setup on a Hewlett Packard 1.0 GHz Pentium III, with 384-512MB PC133 and i815 chipset. The best videocard I have (which I got for free) is a Geforce Fx-5950 Ultra. This is an 8x AGP card, but it runs fine in the 4x AGP slot on that HP motherboard. You just have to make sure the powersupply is strong enough to run the videocard.

What is the Dell model number of the computer? And does it have an AGP slot or only PCI?

The Dell is a Dimension XPS T500

It has an AGP 1.0 slot (used by the current graphics card).

Thanks for the Google search, ...but the threads are so old, I won't be able to find (and buy) those models anymore. ;)

I have found anyway a beginning of answer here: http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html:

Intel 440BX fit to AGP 3.3V Motherboard and won't accept more than AGP 2x.

'AGP 2x' graphics cards are not easily available anymore.

So I assume, I will have to use a PCI card.

Will they all recognize the 440BX chipset and Windows 98?

For instance, in a (french) seach engine here, I have found for PCI cards:

- TWINTECH GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR-SDRAM (PCI)

- SPARKLE GeForce 8400 GS Passive - 256 MB GDDR2 (PCI) (SF-PC84GS256U2LP-P)

- SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD2400 PRO - 512 MB GDDR2 (PCI) (11151-00-20R)

- ZOTAC GeForce 5200 - 128 MB DDR (PCI) (ZT-52FPB2N-HSL)

- CONNECT 3D ATI Radeon 9200 Low Profile 128 MB DDR (PCI)

Does anyone knows how to choose between them? :unsure:

Is the more RAM it has, the better it is?

For instance, in a (french) seach engine here, I have found for PCI cards:

- TWINTECH GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR-SDRAM (PCI)

- SPARKLE GeForce 8400 GS Passive - 256 MB GDDR2 (PCI) (SF-PC84GS256U2LP-P)

- SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD2400 PRO - 512 MB GDDR2 (PCI) (11151-00-20R)

- ZOTAC GeForce 5200 - 128 MB DDR (PCI) (ZT-52FPB2N-HSL)

- CONNECT 3D ATI Radeon 9200 Low Profile 128 MB DDR (PCI)

Does anyone knows how to choose between them? :unsure:

Is the more RAM it has, the better it is?

With PCI, you must remember that bandwith of this bus is shared with other PCI devices, when AGP is for graphic card only.

Another thing is, that AGP 2x rate is equal to 533 MB/s when PCI is just 133 MB/s.

You can't even dream about 512 MB on the card - it's not resolved issue with Win 98.

For newer PCI graphic cards (like HD 2400 Pro or GeForce 8400 GS) at least Windows XP is required - no drivers for older sytems.

I would recommend you to keep graphic card which you have or buy better motherboard/CPU/RAM, etc.

Edited by rainyd

I think the GeForce 5xxx series was the last one that had official drivers for Win98. I don't know about Radeon.

If you are going to to upgrade the graphics card to a more powerful one you should consider upgrading the CPU as well to get the most benefit out of it. A Pentium III 500 MHz is marginal at best.

Is your PIII a slot 1? If so, 1000 MHz is as high as you can go and 1000 MHz slot 1 CPUs with a 100 MHz FSB are kind of scarce and not cheap. Your second best bet would be a PIII 850 MHz (not too common either). That is unless you go for a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter.

All this upgrading would soon add up to some money. Sometimes you can buy an entire and later model computer (including a graphics card) for less than the price of a graphics card for your system alone.

On the other hand, a lot of hardware from the 440BX era is getting thrown away. If you are lucky you may be able to pick up the parts you need for next to nothing.

Charles, why don't you try eBay? There are plenty of AGP 2x cards there, used, refurb or sometimes new.

Here is one link, currently about 60-70 different cards: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Graphics-Video-TV-Cards-/27386/i.html?_nkw=AGP+2X&_dmpt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

I have bought a couple of old cards there in the last 1-2 years, one was a fanless Geforce2MX AGP (has a DVI port I needed) and a Matrox Millenium PCI card. Both are currently running in rigs. I don't know your location, so use the correct eBay for your country. And use eBay's "Buy It Now" if you don't want to bid.

I think an AGP 2X Geforce2MX should meet your needs (and maybe later models perhaps), though you'll need to once again check specs.

Here's another link (Dell forums): http://en.community.dell.com/what-do-i-buy/f/3510/t/18830932.aspx

Are there any other specific reasons you want to upgrade video other than just trying to max out potential video card specs for the T500?

Edited by technoid

Radeon 9700 Pro is the best option that I've found for 3.3v AGP slots.

Edit: I think 9800 Pro or 9800 XT may also work, but I never had one to try :-(

Good luck!

Edited by Bleeder

Radeon 9700 Pro is the best option that I've found for 3.3v AGP slots.

Edit: I think 9800 Pro or 9800 XT may also work, but I never had one to try :-(

Good luck!

Yes those Radeons do work in 98, but it can be tricky. There are no 98 drivers for the X series, I tried the X1650 PRO HD and no luck with drivers.

• 3 months later...

I know its a little old, but here is an idea of cards that will work in that slot with win98 drivers

Radeon 9700, Radeon 9500, Radeon 9000 anything Radeon 8xxx and older

GeforceFX 5800, GeforceFX 5600, GeforceFX 5500, Geforce FX 5200, Geforce Ti 4600 non SE, Ti 4400, Ti 4200 not AGP 8x card, any Geforce4MX, or Geforce3 or older have proper AGP2x support.

As for upgrades for it, 440bx supports up to 1gb of Ram, and if you can find a powerleap PL-iP3/T this allows you to run up to a 1.4ghz Celeron Tutalin Processor on that 440bx. The 1.4ghz Celeron has 256k L2 and 100mhz bus, think of it as if Coppermine when to 1.4 lol. Then get 1gb of PC-100 and a Radeon 9700pro and play FarCry at medium :D

Another good option to look for is a Radeon 9700TX, its a Radeon 9700 non pro but made for AGP 2/4 mode instead of AGP 2/4/8 and runs more stable in a 2x slot. This is a Dell OEM card but works fine, I used to have one

Edited by candle86

Just picked up a copy of WIN98SE and an old p4 for $5! Thought I'd play around with it and was delighted to see the amount of online life this old system still has:)

Anyway,

It's interesting that the omega drivers seem to indicate that they support hd2k and hd3k in win98? I have an agp hd2600 but it's 512meg and I think is causing some issues? It appears as a pci card in my device manager. The omega drivers give me a cannot find driver inf when I try run it.

I'll be looking to pick up a more compatible agp card if all hope is lost getting this one running, my current ti4200 is struggling with some newer titles.

It's interesting that the omega drivers seem to indicate that they support hd2k and hd3k in win98? I have an agp hd2600 but it's 512meg and I think is causing some issues? It appears as a pci card in my device manager. The omega drivers give me a cannot find driver inf when I try run it.

Latest ATI Omega Driver for Win98 is a modified Catalyst 4.2, so it won't support HD2K and HD3K.

Latest ATI Omega Driver for Win98 is a modified Catalyst 4.2, so it won't support HD2K and HD3K.

I thought as much but when I saw that page and cards supported I hoped for the best. Back to the ti4200.

I thought as much but when I saw that page and cards supported I hoped for the best. Back to the ti4200.

y not grab a cheap 9800XT?