random Shutdown

TheMYsterio

Hi all,

i have a windows 7 pro. I have a very strange problem. My windows keeps shutting down once in a while when its in the middle of something. I tried looking @ the event viewer but no help.

has anyone faced this before/

cheers,

One man's 'shutdown' is another man's 'unexpected restart'...

Is the OS logging you off and then shutting the PC down? (graceful shutdown)

If yes, do open applications prompt to save any work before exiting, or Windows present a message that it is waiting for programs to exit?

Or is it bugchecking (bluescreening) and then restarting? (bucheck, kernel exception)

Or is it spontaneously restarting? (hardware issue, or dump options are disabled/too quick to see)

Or is it spontaneously powering off the PC instantly? (hardware/BIOS/heat issue)

When the PC starts up again:

Does it report that the last shutdown was not fully successful, and presents a boot menu with the Safe Mode option?

Are there no "the previous shutdown was unexpected" events logged?

Its a Shutdown

- System just shutdowns within 5 seconds, no Logoff

- NO prompt for opened applications/browsers

- No Blue Screen

- No Restart just shutdown

but what i have noticed is laptop is quite hot during that times. I am not sure why this is getting heated up like this. never happened in Vista before

thanks for your reply

One man's 'shutdown' is another man's 'unexpected restart'...

Is the OS logging you off and then shutting the PC down? (graceful shutdown)

If yes, do open applications prompt to save any work before exiting, or Windows present a message that it is waiting for programs to exit?

Or is it bugchecking (bluescreening) and then restarting? (bucheck, kernel exception)

Or is it spontaneously restarting? (hardware issue, or dump options are disabled/too quick to see)

Or is it spontaneously powering off the PC instantly? (hardware/BIOS/heat issue)

When the PC starts up again:

Does it report that the last shutdown was not fully successful, and presents a boot menu with the Safe Mode option?

Are there no "the previous shutdown was unexpected" events logged?

- System just shutdowns within 5 seconds, no Logoff

- NO prompt for opened applications/browsers

- No Blue Screen

- No Restart just shutdown

but what i have noticed is laptop is quite hot during that times. I am not sure why this is getting heated up like this. never happened in Vista before

Smells like classic overheating to me (a bugcheck would for sure do a restart or remain on the blue screen, not perform a shut down).

As drivers communicate with devices to control them, they can have an impact on how hard they are worked or when fans should kick in, for example - so it might be worth checking up on chipset driver versions from the manufacturer's support page.

Sometimes it's a very low-tech problem - I've seen laptops with the air intake grill blocked up with dust bunnies, meaning no fresh, cool(er) air going in, leading to a temperature rise outside of tolerance range.

The BIOS might be "pulling the plug" because it thinks there is a problem on the horizon too, such as a temperature reaching a threshold, and it is trying to prevent a problem.

Usually in the BIOS settings you can view hardware temperatures and set thresholds, I would check these first.

There is software such as Everest and Speccy that can display temperature info in Windows

http://www.lavalys.com/products/everest-pc-diagnostics

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Is this a custom built pc or one from a manufacturer, you should contact them if it turns out to be a hardware problem.