Batch hotfix downloading

Muppet Hunter

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

using the hf-dl_xxx.bat files (any of them), the files downloaded don't drop the file into any of the HF* folders (with or without the wget.ini). i've tried the following:

If -O WindowsXP-KB950762-x86-ENU.exe is omitted, the file goes into the HF folder as confirmation.aspx@familyid=36b14a81-5979-4e38-9ba3-ed83dfc17adf.

the same occurs if using the hfpicker.xls and copying from column M.

If wget.ini is in place the confirmation.aspx@familyid=36b14a81-5979-4e38-9ba3-ed83dfc17adf file is removed with the following:

Removing HF/confirmation.aspx@familyid=36b14a81-5979-4e38-9ba3-ed83dfc17adf since it should be rejected.

additionally if the '-O' switch is used, the file goes into a download retry loop which fails after a bit.

It seems there may be a conflict with the '-O' and '-P' switches for wget.

does anyone have any solutions other than using mimo's update list or the one bphlpt posted from http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html? i'm used to manual but thought i'd give this one a go and i'm bumping my head on this one. i'd like to see it work to download into the HFSLIP folders...

Edited by turdflinger

Yeah.. I PM Muppet Hunter the problems I was having too.. He responded that he would try to get a fix for those problems. I told him about the endless retry errors.. If you put the direct link in there it will work. And I noticed that wget was choking on the REM at the end of the line also. I copied the direct lines from that site you posted .... in the reg.bat file removed the REM and it works butit still will not put the files in the HF dir. Hopefully he will get around and do a fix on it.

Yeah.. I PM Muppet Hunter the problems I was having too.. He responded that he would try to get a fix for those problems. I told him about the endless retry errors.. If you put the direct link in there it will work. And I noticed that wget was choking on the REM at the end of the line also. I copied the direct lines from that site you posted .... in the reg.bat file removed the REM and it works butit still will not put the files in the HF dir. Hopefully he will get around and do a fix on it.

yea, the '-P' command will work with the http://win-x.co.cc/files/UDC-04.12.11.zip list.

it's just a matter of figuring out what is/isn't in the list compared to the hf-fl_xxx.zip files above as well as what directory (HF, HFCABS, etc) they each need to go.

here's to hoping...

yea, the '-P' command will work with the http://win-x.co.cc/files/UDC-04.12.11.zip list.

it's just a matter of figuring out what is/isn't in the list compared to the hf-fl_xxx.zip files above as well as what directory (HF, HFCABS, etc) they each need to go.

here's to hoping...

Here is my test reg bat file.. the lines that start with small case "rem" is not on that list. This works but will not put the files where they go just in the hfslip root dir.

here's to hoping...

Here is my test reg bat file.. the lines that start with small case "rem" is not on that list. This works but will not put the files where they go just in the hfslip root dir.

Oops.. forgot to attach file...

hf-dl_reg_test.rar

It appears that both of you are correct. The REM's at the end should precede the WGET lines (just descriptives). The lines with ECHO (comments lines) also have some errors that makes the BAT think they are variables, etc.

Interestingly enough, the "chase" sequence isn't being carried out and within the downloaded files (the ones that do download) have the actual location of the given file (they are all the download "confirmation" screens with the embedded "click here if failure" addresses). Not sure why it isn't working (the "chase").

Guess they must have thought this was more convenient than manually adding the true filename paths?

BTW, thx for the investigation and "corrected" BAT file. It supplies some info that I need.

(why are we downloading SP3 by default??? what if SP3 is already integrated?)

Edited by submix8c

New batches posted. Thanks for the feedback, I'll reply in more detail later on.

Just a few points, I think the echo comments in the previous batch might have had problems because they weren't enclosed in double quotes. If the new ones show the same error then please open the bat in notepad and put quotes around the words eg echo "blah blah blah". If it still doesn't work then just delete the echo lines.

I've put a line in to change to the right drive and directory cd /d %~dp0, this was somehow missed from before when I think using a directory of \HFSLIP was a pre-requisite.

I've tested the main aria2 command under linux and it downloads everything into the right directory, the Regular batch took 15mins to download everything (I'm on an 8Mbit ADSL connection). aria2 does parallel downloading (wget is serial), so this works well for any HFSLIP newbies!

All filelists come from the same spreadsheet that I use for my XP update list so (in theory) should be as accurate as that, plus I'm using a nix program called sed to format the lists.

Bigdb, thanks for your help on this. I'll look into tidying up the del commands with the 2> nul later on.

It might be possible at some stage to resurrect using a spreadsheet so people can 'roll their own' update lists.

Edited by Muppet Hunter

New batches posted. Thanks for the feedback, I'll reply in more detail later on.

Just a few points, I think the echo comments in the previous batch might have had problems because they weren't enclosed in double quotes. If the new ones show the same error then please open the bat in notepad and put quotes around the words eg echo "blah blah blah". If it still doesn't work then just delete the echo lines.

I've put a line in to change to the right drive and directory cd /d %~dp0, this was somehow missed from before when I think using a directory of \HFSLIP was a pre-requisite.

I've tested the main aria2 command under linux and it downloads everything into the right directory, the Regular batch took 15mins to download everything (I'm on an 8Mbit ADSL connection). aria2 does parallel downloading (wget is serial), so this works well for any HFSLIP newbies!

All filelists come from the same spreadsheet that I use for my XP update list so (in theory) should be as accurate as that, plus I'm using a nix program called sed to format the lists.

Bigdb, thanks for your help on this. I'll look into tidying up the del commands with the 2> nul later on.

It might be possible at some stage to resurrect using a spreadsheet so people can 'roll their own' update lists.

Sounds Great!!! I'll give it try.. thanks for your efforts for sure!

Sounds Great!!! I'll give it try.. thanks for your efforts for sure!

That appears to work ok ... right off hand I don't see anything wrong with that one.. I was using the regular.bat

Thanks!

Admittedly, aria2 (good find!) appears to be a better option for downloading BUT... I notice that the direct link (within the control file) is now used (as in the aforementioned links method) instead of a "chase" (as was in the previous BAT files).

So far, the major improvement (over "the other one") is download speed.

Noting also this list is for HFSlip usage as opposed to nLite usage (in "the other").

Just pointing this out to prevent any confusion for "newbies"... ;)

Edited by submix8c

That appears to work ok ... right off hand I don't see anything wrong with that one.. I was using the regular.bat

Glad it works! :)

Admittedly, aria2 (good find!) appears to be a better option for downloading BUT... I notice that the direct link (within the control file) is now used (as in the aforementioned links method) instead of a "chase" (as was in the previous BAT files).

I'm still using the wget chase method to get the direct links, so it still has its uses.

So far, the major improvement (over "the other one") is download speed.

The summary at the end is better too. Also, I think aria2 would beat wget even if wget was using direct links as wget gets one file after the other rather than getting several at once. Aria2 also splits up the larger files (40MB+) into separate d/load threads, which is good if you're getting everything from scratch (ie directx redist + SP3).

Noting also this list is for HFSlip usage as opposed to nLite usage (in "the other").

Just pointing this out to prevent any confusion for "newbies"... ;)

You could use the batches for downloading into a single directory, you'd just need to remove all the ' dir=' lines from the filelist. A sed script would be best for this.

I'm trying to do the batch downloading via aria2 but I think it needs the complete link to the file.

I switched to wget but I can't get it to work when I try to download de Spanish locale version of this file (just trying it as an example):

wget -o wget.log -d --referer=http://www.microsoft.com "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/ES-ES/confirmation.aspx?familyid=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=ES-ES"

<wget output>

Deciding whether to enqueue "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=41&SrcFamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&SrcDisplayLang=es&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f9%2f4%2f2%2f942080a4-ba69-496b-a379-d3b26d37b647%2fWindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ESN.exe".

Going to "downloads" would escape "downloads/ES-ES" with no_parent on.

Decided NOT to load it.

</wget output>

Attached the complete log.

It reads the correct link, but it decides NOT to download it, but don't know exactly why..., could any switch do the job?

Thank you!

Edit: uploaded log

Edit2: can't upload log... but that's the important part I think

Edited by dusty

I spent hours recently playing with the wget options and the best I could get was for the files to download with 1/2 the url attached to the front of the filename. Everything worked about a year ago but doesn't now for some reason, either the MS webstite or a wget bug I suspect. I think the crucial settings are for the no_parent and robots to be off and the accept options to be just right.

The batch downloading now uses aria2 instead of wget, but I've managed to use wget to get the direct link (see the attached wget.ini for the options I've used). Using direct links is the best option but the problem for multilanguage support is I'd have to get every link for every file and that will take time. The problematic files are the ones marked ENU on my update list (I'm on linux and can't validate!).

wget.zip