Login fails and suddenly logged out.

johnhc

I am running XP x64 with SP2 and all current critical updates and IE8. Off and on for some time I cannot login without clearing my cookies and cache. During a reply attempt today, it took three logins to complete. Without leaving the site I found myself logged out when I tried to reply once today. It seems to be worse today, thus this topic. Hope there is some help for us. Thanks, John.

This is likely more of a software problem than a board problem. Have you tried another browser yet?

Tripredacus, I Have tried no other browser. I suspect it is a SW problem on the board considering that I did not have this problem before the big change and I do not have the problem on any other forums, including the ones that use the same basic SW. Thanks, John.

The only time I remember people complaining of this problem after the changeover was when the MSFN cookie wasn't deleted from the browser's cache - the old cookies "sort of" work, but this is the behavior you run into. Have you cleared out the cache completely for the browser to be sure you're not using the old cookie?

Firefox 3.6.3 w/ NoScript, BetterPrivacy, LinkAlert, WOB & java plug-ins on wink2k sp4

I had the same thing happen to me today - when the logged-in page loaded it immediately went back to the log-in page. Except that I'm posting on the problem of being unable to log out, so after it toggled between log-in and logged-in [without me ever entering un&pw, just clicking the log-in link], I simple clicked on Enter the forums and I was logged in.

I've got both reg and flash cookies set to clear on closing firefox. I'm going to try and find where cookies are stored on the hdd or if I can view the cookies thru firefox like I could w/ IE back when I used IE and see if they are really clearing.

The only time I remember people complaining of this problem after the changeover was when the MSFN cookie wasn't deleted from the browser's cache - the old cookies "sort of" work, but this is the behavior you run into. Have you cleared out the cache completely for the browser to be sure you're not using the old cookie?

Thanks for your reply. I have cleared cache (completely) many times and deleted all msfn cookies. What has helped is that a few days ago the forums were unavailable for some time. I have had no problems since. I usually never log out. Thanks, John.

Firefox 3.6.3 w/ NoScript, BetterPrivacy, LinkAlert, WOB & java plug-ins on wink2k sp4

I had the same thing happen to me today - when the logged-in page loaded it immediately went back to the log-in page. Except that I'm posting on the problem of being unable to log out, so after it toggled between log-in and logged-in [without me ever entering un&pw, just clicking the log-in link], I simple clicked on Enter the forums and I was logged in.

I've got both reg and flash cookies set to clear on closing firefox. I'm going to try and find where cookies are stored on the hdd or if I can view the cookies thru firefox like I could w/ IE back when I used IE and see if they are really clearing.

Thanks for your reply. It seems like whenever anyone has a problem with a browser (or other applications), people suggest another bowser. My son is trying to talk me into using Chrome, and I have tried it and like it (fast) except for some things I am used to having in IE. I have used Firefox before IE did tabbed browsing and liked it except for the fact that there were several sites I visited regularly that did not work and forced me to go back to IE. This quickly led to shortcuts being out of sync and other settings problems. I do not think I am going to change browsers just because one of the forums I visit has a problem. The fact that it has gotten much better since this forum was down several days ago, and it happened to you, tells me it is a forum problem and not mine. It may have something to do with my settings, but then it should be consistent. Thanks, John.

[GRUMBLE MODE]

I'm still having login problems since the forum changeover and since

the "Logon problems"-sticky has been locked I have just given up. :whistle:

By examining the traffic (with Fiddler) it looks like my IE7 perfectly

accepts the cookies it gets from the forum (valid until now + 1 year),

but when sending them back, they automatically get cleared because they

are not being accepted :unsure:

Somehow I'm now browsing and replying here using some sort of session-

mode, but that only lasts for around 30 minutes, so when posting a rather

large reply, I get kicked out and I need to re-login.

Ah well... since this is the only forum that's always in a fight with IE

(tested in multiple configurations and computers) I just accept it, because

I don't want to switch to another browser.

(...and frankly: I also always find it a lousy advice given by others to change browsers

if a certain site doesn't want to work with my mine) :angel

One other thing I don't like here is the GoogleAPI/Ajax/scripting that's in

use here: it makes the forum terribly slow :(

[/GRUMBLE MODE]

Greetz, ;)

Peter.

Yesterday i used few hours for extensive testing of login/logout feature. Used IE8, Firefox 3 (Newest and without any script or addon), Opera 10 and newest Google Chrome. Everything worked fine. Tried every single browser several times. Not a single issue.

Google API? As for AJAX/JS, that's the way forum is made. Blame IPS. Forum now running fine.

Yesterday i used few hours for extensive testing of login/logout feature. Used IE8, Firefox 3 (Newest and without any script or addon), Opera 10 and newest Google Chrome. Everything worked fine. Tried every single browser several times. Not a single issue.

Google API? As for AJAX/JS, that's the way forum is made. Blame IPS. Forum now running fine.

xper, I agree that the forum is now working fine. As I posted above, since the last outage a few days ago, I have been continuously logged in with no problems. Somehow, something is getting out of whack, causing our problems. After the forum is restarted (or whatever causes the outage) I am fine till the next rash. I suggest the next time people report these problems, do your testing right then! Waiting till after the restart has corrected the problem teaches nothing. Thanks and enjoy, John.

VideoRipper, [GRUMBLE MODE]<- great idea!

This was huge upgrade and we needed some time to get things right. You will not believe if i say that we still work on optimization, issues etc.

This was huge upgrade and we needed some time to get things right. You will not believe if i say that we still work on optimization, issues etc.

Thanks, xper. I don't think any of us are saying that this should be easy and know that it was a huge change. We are just hoping that the login/logout problems can be corrected if they are not already. Things are real stable right now, so perhaps it was fixed recently. I will post again if and as soon as I see a problem. It is really exasperating to click Add Reply, then be told that I am not logged in. Thanks and enjoy, John.

• 4 weeks later...

We made it almost a month, but I am getting logged out and having login failures again. This started about an hour ago. Hope someone will take a look and see what changed recently. Thanks, John.

Edit: I was just logged out again. 6.1.2010, 07:17 PM

EDIT: Just happened again but this time I could not login without clearing the IE cache and deleting MSFN cookies. 6.1.2010, 08:05 PM

Edited by johnhc

• 1 month later...

I was required to login when I powered up this morning (I did not log out yesterday) and again just now after returning to the MSFN site. It looks like the logged out portion of the title is back. John.

• 4 months later...