Email encruption - has anyone actually done it?

I'm having to send some legal-type emails and I'd like to have a signature and encrypt them. The private key/public key scheme is not practical. So I'd like to use an authority like Verisign - I can't find my notes today but I think you get a signature thru them and w/ a signature you can encrypt?

Has anyone actually done this and have a recommendation for which authority is easiest/friendliest for the average joe or jane?

There was a thread I found on my search here today re email encryption , pgp or other email security solution ?, but firefox wouldn't take me there. Kept saying "firefox has determined this redirection will never complete".

The problem is you're not talking about encryption through a provider like verisign, that's tunneling and means nothing for mail (I'm guessing your link is simply invalid). If you want encryption with a public PKI (which you would undoubtedly want for external mail recipients), you would want something like this.

Thanks cluberti,

Yes, I think that's what I need to get - a public PKI. If I'm remembering correctly, you can encrypt email using a public/private key - but then you have to get the private key to anyone to whom you want to send an encrypted email - somehow in a secure manner. I thought the second way was to have a verified signature - thru VeriSign or another method, but maybe I've got the different ways you can get a verified signature confused w/ the different ways you can encrypt email since VeriSign or another authority can be used for both.

I was wondering if anyone has actually done this - gotten a verified signature or encrypted their email. Just reading about it can be very different from actually doing it . Currently I'm not using Outlook 'cause it keeps crashing, so it's moot at the moment.