Will Only Go On Standby 1/2 The Time

gac

Help. I have a problem that has me very puzzeled.

My computer (Windows XP) will only go on stand by 50% of the time.

After using my computer I attempt to go on standby and it hangs on the screen..."preparing to stand by." I have to hold the power button in and reboot it, then go to stand by.

However the next time I use the computer it will go to stand by with no problem at all. Then the next time I use it it will hang again when I attempt to go to stand by. Again I have to hold the power button in and reboot and then go to stand by. The next time I use it it goes to stand by with no problem.

So you see it is doing it exactly 50% of the time.

I have no problem with shutting it down though. It will shut down every time I choose that option....it never hangs when I do that.

Any suggestions / solutions would be very appreciated.

My computer is less then 1 month old. I'm using the stock graphics card and driver that came with it.

This problem of only going on standby 1/2 the time started about 2 or 3 weeks after I got the computer.

I have a Compaq Presario with an Intel Celeron 1.3 Gigahertz Processor. 512 Megabytes Of Memory. And A 40 Gigabyte HD.

In addition to Rev's comments, I would like to add the following:

Its a "Compaq Presario!" All jokes aside, have you tried a BIOS update for your MOBO? Have you tried to upgrade all of your drivers? If not I suggest you do so.

If you'd give a model number, series etc... I might be able to help you further.

If you need to know your system information without opening your Computer and by the way voiding your warranty,

I suggest you use Belarc Advisor:

http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe

There is the download, very small. It will open up a webpage with all your info. Copy down all the hardware information. Including your cdrom, Motherboard, NIC, etc...

Then go to the manufacturers website and download the latest firmware, drivers etc...

Also, check the compaq site

http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp?cat=Desktop

Find the latest files for your PC there.

Further check the site's FAQ and support for further information concerning your PC.

If none of this works, never go into hibernation.

Big Booger

One other thing, how much free disk space do you have available? I believe AFAIK that Hibernation needs a minimum of 200MB, but again I am not 100% positive.

BB

as you can see by the following, it would seem that some compaq models have problems with hibernation in XP

SP19866.EXE - 1607K - November 26, 2001

TITLE: Presario 2700 Series Notebooks System ROM Update

VERSION: F.08

LANGUAGE: US English - Reduces the time to resume from Suspend(S3) mode. - Fixes the F5 & F6 no scan code issue. - Fixes incorrect reporting by power meter applet. - Fixes the Hibernation looping issue.

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows 2000

SUPERSEDES: SP19569

To refer to the associated text file for more information, click here

Big Booger

Hibernation Does Not Work on a Portable Computer After Windows XP Upgrade and RAM Increase (Q305905)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS

If you install Windows XP on a portable computer whose primary partition is formatted with the FAT16 file system, the computer may no longer hibernate after you increase the random access memory (RAM) and then restart the computer.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs if the computer runs out of hard disk space for the hibernation file on the primary partition.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, free some additional space on the hard disk.

STATUS

This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION

The space that the hibernation file requires is directly related to the amount of RAM that is in the computer. If you add more RAM, the Hiberfil.sys file must grow to match the total RAM. Adding more RAM also automatically increases the size of the Pagefile.sys file, which by default is 1.5 times the amount of RAM. Adding 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM increases the Pagefile.sys file by 384 MB.

If the Hiberfil.sys file grows by 256 MB and the Pagefile.sys file grows by 384 MB, the free space on the hard disk shrinks by 640 MB. There must still be at least 740 MB of free space to allow hibernation