How is Windows 7 Backup & Restore

jiewmeng

with windows 7 backup and restore able to create a full system image that can be restored, is there any reason to use 3rd party tools like acronis trueimage? is the backup and restore process similar to a 3rd party tool? i guess to restore an image i boot into windows 7 or pe to restore it? hows the compression also? do i need to wipe my hdd before creating an image?

00ing out a drive may as well be useful for use with some cloning/imaging utilities that may not consider a non-indexed-in-the-file-system sector as "blank" if not all made of 00's or F6's.

It works fine but only makes a backup of the system partition, it does not have the option to backup secondary data partitions if you've created them. 3rd party software can also image an entire drive including all partitions and other filesystems.

with windows 7 backup and restore able to create a full system image that can be restored, is there any reason to use 3rd party tools like acronis trueimage? is the backup and restore process similar to a 3rd party tool? i guess to restore an image i boot into windows 7 or pe to restore it? hows the compression also? do i need to wipe my hdd before creating an image?

00ing out a drive may as well be useful for use with some cloning/imaging utilities that may not consider a non-indexed-in-the-file-system sector as "blank" if not all made of 00's or F6's.

you can use the software ghost

It works fine but only makes a backup of the system partition, it does not have the option to backup secondary data partitions if you've created them. 3rd party software can also image an entire drive including all partitions and other filesystems.

for now, i am only intending to backup my windows partition so i guess its still ok. i will consider trueimage, seems more popular of late