Why I Believe Printers Were Sent from Hell

I stopped using printers at home because I was fed up to buy a new cartridge everytime I have to print two pages of text.

For some reason I never found my printer with not empty cartridges in it.

It now costs me a fraction of the money and the time to go to the copyshop downtown.

Edited by Fredledingue

I stopped using printers at home because I was fed up to buy a new cartridge everytime I have to print two pages of text

I used to have that problem a LOT. And to add insult to injury, it was far too often "fatal" to the printer. The print heads are sometimes on the printer and not on the cartridges, and the fix isn't a new cartridge but a new head for the printer (which usually costs more to replace than the printer was worth new).

That's half the reason I had moved to a laser. But then again, the kids need colors for school stuff, so I got another inkjet a couple years ago and I've been very lucky so far. The ink cartridges are $6 too (separate, only change those which need it)

It now costs me a fraction of the money and the time to go to the copyshop downtown.

Well, I'd rather get photo prints on a nice silver halide printer (like a fuji frontier) and great paper than doing it myself. That is definitely a LOT cheaper than buying a $1000+ wide photo-quality printer (like an Epson Stylus Pro 4880), along with pricey archival ink (usually over $100 a cartridge, and 8+ cartridges isn't uncommon) and fancy paper, only to have to fiddle with the color calibration, gamut mapping, max printable highlight, dot gain depending on paper used and what not including the crappy dialog settings (my usual place will reproduce my work with colors that are spot-on, both in RGB and CMYK, and in sRGB/Adobe RGB/SWOP v2 color spaces). As for plain paper stuff, some printers aren't that expensive. And (assuming it doesn't dry up) the convenience is nice, like being able to photocopy or print something quick for the kids' homework or whatever (without spending a half hour in the traffic and $5 in gas to get to a copy shop)

My printer was dirt cheap ($50 for a printer/scanner/fax combo thing that can photocopy, has useless memory card slots and everything else -- a nice ethernet port too!) and it does the job fine so far. It's a somewhat better scanner than the old one it replaced (saves desk space!), it prints text and basic graphics (charts, etc) alright. I'd never print photos with it though (not that I'd want to). So far I might have spent about $25 or so in ink over a couple years so not too bad.

A color multifunction laser would be nicer, but the nice ones aren't exactly cheap nor cheap on toner :(

Still, most printers are a real PITA.

I have an awesome printer that I've printed maybe 5 pages ever with. The ink is probably all dried up. I don't really have a need for printing, almost a waste but it has a scanner on it too, which I use all the time! :rolleyes:

I too bought a scanner/printer with off-PC copy function. Great stuff if you print or copy everyday especialy when you need to do copy without having to turn the pc. But it's more like we used it once a month... and the cartridges were always empty.

Now I use it only as a scanner because the printer is broke or clogged with dry ink.

I too bought a scanner/printer with off-PC copy function. Great stuff if you print or copy everyday especialy when you need to do copy without having to turn the pc. But it's more like we used it once a month... and the cartridges were always empty.

Now I use it only as a scanner because the printer is broke or clogged with dry ink.

Yes plus the printer at the office is way better anyways! :whistle:

• 1 year later...
Guest Robinwood

Yes plus the printer at the office is way better anyways! :whistle:

Ya ! because it does not cost us a single penny ! :whistle: