AVG (Free) AV

Hi Guys,

Good day! I would like to ask you input regarding this topic. I have recently installed the latest AVG (Free) AV software on different platforms (XP/Vista/7) and it prompted that it's only a 30-day trial software. If I'm not mistaken before they had a limited AV software that is FREE for a lifetime. Is this is recent change from AVG?

Thanks in advance...

AVG was never a great product anyway. Poor detection rates and perhaps the highest false positive rate I've ever seen in any AV.

*Way* better and free (not a trial, no nags, no "buy me!" popups, no expiration, no buggy bloatware, etc): MSE

Hi Guys,

Good day! I would like to ask you input regarding this topic. I have recently installed the latest AVG (Free) AV software on different platforms (XP/Vista/7) and it prompted that it's only a 30-day trial software. If I'm not mistaken before they had a limited AV software that is FREE for a lifetime. Is this is recent change from AVG?

Thanks in advance...

It still is free! You must have downloaded the trial version by mistake. Get the free version here.

I have yet to try MSE, but I've heard it does a great job. AV Comparatives seems to have avast and MSE on the same levels in most aspects. avast scores slightly higher in a few but that does not rule out the quality of MSE.

I've never cared for AVG and I've tried it many times in a VM. Bloated, resource hog and it has poor detection rates and performance. avast and MSE both outshine AVG easily. Lately AVG has been the Norton/McAfee of the free AVs.

No problems with free version of AVG here, never have seen the problems you two had, Tarun and CoffeeFiend. But, with Microsoft Security Essentials I dropped AVG; best Anti malware in my eyes and for free as well!

MSE eats up a bit more for my feeling; I won't install that on a 256MB machine, besides that, I won't service a PC with less than 320MB (XP start up plus MSE will use 320MB without tweaking).

I have noticed that the MSE engine uses more RAM then I would like but at least its not as bad as my last experience of a computer with AVG.

I could not understand why it would decide my basic C++ program with System("program.exe"); in it set of AVG,

This seemed like the stupidest false positive ever to me