Computer starts up automatically...

Rick

I am working on a computer and I am stumped. The lady claims that the computer just turns on automatically at all hours of the day and night. I was concerned that somebody may have have hacked her computer and put some type of prog on their with a timer for the computer to come on but I can't find any trojans or virii. Does anybody have suggestions that may help me out here?

BTW--She's running WinME and also is on AOL cable modem.

Rick

:)

SHe might have wake on lan in her BIOS that might be causing the PC to spontaneous awake.

That would be my guess. Other than the faulty power switch as Reverend suggested.

Have you tried a system restore? Have you varified that indeed the Pc does come on spontaneously?

Tell her to upgrade to XP..... ME sucks a**.

BB

Maybe she has that annoying Windows schedule running...i know that you can set it to turnon your comp in the middle of the night and run things like scan disk, defrag and antivirus s***....but my brain is a bit rusty as to where you can modify this little app.

-Drew

I was thinking about the wake on modem and wake on PCI in her BIOS. I didn't even know these things existed until I discovered them last night. I disabled them, I disabled everything that has to do with power on in the BIOS. I have not checked on the M$ scheduler but the computer just comes on, it doesn't run any tests. She sent her computer off to Gateway not too long ago and they put a new power supply in there and could not replicate the problem of it turning on automatically. The only difference being that it was not connected to a cable modem @ gateway. These are the progs that are running when her computer comes on...sound familiar? Monwow, Csinsm32, and Csinject. I think it is wake on lan but I just don't see another place in BIOS to turn this off so I assumed that the wake on PCI must have been it.

Rick:rolleyes:

I would bet that this is a power supply issue. Try adding another power supply one with an external switch, the one that you have to turn on in the back before the PC button switch will work!.eg265pxvb.jpg I would imagine that this would fix the issue.

However,

this might also....

Csinsm32 , CLEANSWEEP, CSINSM32.EXE

CSINSM32.EXE Norton Cleansweep Install Monitor. Requires CSINJECT.EXE. This also runs MONWOW in the background.

Delete norton and see if this s*** stops.... seems like that might be the culprit.

additionally check the CMOS battery, make sure its not dying.

Big Booger

I put Norton on there when I was there. I am thinking power supply but I can't imagine telling Gateway to put one of those PS's in there. It is under warranty and I doubt that she will want to void the warranty by spending money on a PS. Gateway should have fixed this. I still believe it has to do with wake on lan but I will never be able to prove it! Darn! I am going to ask her to unplug her modem and see what happens.

Rick:eek:

I think it might tell the voltages of the PC, that will let you know if the PS is working properly. Other than that, I'd tell her to ship it back to Gateway and give me a replacement unit. If they don't agree, then I'd file a complaint with the BBB, and I would take them to small claims court.

BB

• 2 months later...

You haven't got Kazaa installed by any chance?

The spyware it contains ('Brilliant something') can turn on your PC, from what I've heard.

If you have, remove it, and use Kazaalite instead at kazaalite.com

I think this is a very simple problem Many OEMs, in order to comply with Micro$oft rules, have to set the power switch to go to Stand-by rather that OFF when pressed. I am thinking that when the power button ispushed, it puts the computer into S3 stand-by which creates a very easy 'wake-up' situation. Go into the BIOS setup and see if there is a Power Button Setting - bet it says stand-by rather than off.

LS

Funny! I haven't talked about this in a long time but it is still a problem. Yes, I checked the BIOS to make sure it was not going into standby and everything. It's not. Very strange...but if it were mine, this prob. would be fixed because Gateway would have shipped me another computer to shut me up! LOL I have asked her to go ahead and upgrade her computer to WinXP but she is waiting for me to come up there and do it. I think that will solve her prob. We shall see.

Rick:cool: