windows 7 x64 error when playing audio and video

wildthing423

My wife installed adobe premier elements 8.0 on my computer. While I appreciate the gesture, I do not like the program. using the control panel programs, add remove program features, I removed the program, was prompted to restart and i did. now the computer will no longer play and media files what so ever. not avi, not dvd no music nothing. I attempted to use the built in trouble shooter but it detects no problem. I get so many error messages when trying to play music and video that it numbers into the hundreds. the messages are related to ffdshow and direct show and direct 3d and other error messages related to the functionality of various media playing codecs and software. quicktime, itunes, powerdvd, cinema 3d , vlc media player nothing will play a media file of anytype. I even set a previous restore but it still will not play. I am thinking that my wife associated all the files by default to adobe premier elements and some how this has screwed the system. However, I thought that setting a previous system restore point would have fixed this built it has not. I know that this can be repaired but i am UN-familiar with windows 7 x64 functionality as this is the first computer I have owned that has it installed natively. I know that many of you have extensive knowledge in this area , specific to the media playing [video,audio] Can anyone here provide some assistance. This computer is only 2 days old and an insurance replacement for one I lost in a fire. It is not an exact replacement as my previous one was a dell and this is a gateway.

this is what it is:

PC Wizard 2010 Version 1.93

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Microsoft

Organisation: Microsoft

User: mark

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7600

Report Date: Thursday 22 April 2010 at 09:23

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Gateway RS780

> Chipset : AMD 780G

> Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 2600 MHz

> Physical Memory : 8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

> Hard Disk : WDC (1000 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

> DVD-Rom Drive : VKFA 5EZW5E3 SCSI CdRom Device

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N ATA Device

> Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP w2338h - 23 inches

> Network Card : MV88SE614x PCIe to SATA2 controller Yukon 88E8071 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller

> Network Card

> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7600 (x64)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 4.2

***** End of report *****

I have been unable to find a repair for this, though I have found reference to similar issues being resolved but they come up in the google rankings as a pay for view site there for I can view the answer without paying 40.00 usd to enter. I would appreciate any assistance that you all may be able to offer.

Mark

Edited by wildthing423

Have you considered going back to a restore point prior to the installation of Adobe Premier?

I even set a previous restore but it still will not play. I am thinking that my wife associated all the files by default to adobe premier elements and some how this has screwed the system. However, I thought that setting a previous system restore point would have fixed this built it has not

Yes, I have. Likewise I ran system file checker from elevated command prompt, run as administrator. and chkdsk /s/r wihich checkes the entire disk for errors and likewise recovers all freespace. This computer came with hd and true video functionality and tv and cable video viewing. In therory , if the uninstall process had deleted files not specific to the adobe install but the build of my computer, sfc should have recovered them. Several of the errors i get have to do with class not registered and or missing registry entries, which adobe un-install should never have removed, UNLESS, my wife in her non infinte wisdom associated all the files with the program. Still, sfc should have recovered them as they were part of the build for this machine... I am in a true state here as It also will not play streaming cable tv yet the entire program contents for this tv function appear to be intact. Is it possible for the associations to be changed to the point where I would get an "class not registered" error message?

Mark

Edited by wildthing423

First of all, 7 (and Vista) require proper Video and Audio drivers to be installed to play certain types of media. For example, sometimes if the video card is detected as Standard VGA Adapter, you can get errors like this. Since your report does not show your Audio device, how is it listed in Device Manager?

Try reinstalling your audio and video drivers, but be sure to install the latest ones.

Have you tried a player that comes with integrated codecs? Try Media Classic Home Cinema and see if it can play your files.

If not, Premiere Elements setup messed up the codecs stuff. You can also try to install a codec package like Win7codecs.

If you still can't play media files after this, I would suggest that you reformat the computer and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Provided that you know how and have the time to do it, though.

I use Premiere Elements 8 in my laptop, but it is Win7 x86. I haven't seen any problem with it so far.

I have a desktop with Win7 x64 but I don't use it there. Instead, I have a copy of Premiere Pro CS4.

Some setups can mess with your system. Perhaps that is what happened to you after uninstalling it.

First of all, 7 (and Vista) require proper Video and Audio drivers to be installed to play certain types of media. For example, sometimes if the video card is detected as Standard VGA Adapter, you can get errors like this. Since your report does not show your Audio device, how is it listed in Device Manager?

I thought of this as well. Though I have not update the drivers ..specifically , I re-installed the drivers native to windpws 7 and I used windows update and the gateway driver updater. I have the sneaking suspicion that all the drivers should be checked perhaps with a third party driver checker. The audio was not listed because I cut off part of the summary page because I wasnt sure until I logged back in whether I could use the attachment feature. Once I pasted that part into the post and scrolled down I saw that , indeed, I could have attached the entire doc in pdf format. the sound is a true 7.1 surround 3d. I forget the manufacturer name.in the device manager there are several different and separate listings in there for my audio system..something from phillips and sony.

Mark

Try reinstalling your audio and video drivers, but be sure to install the latest ones.

Have you tried a player that comes with integrated codecs? Try Media Classic Home Cinema and see if it can play your files.

If not, Premiere Elements setup messed up the codecs stuff. You can also try to install a codec package like Win7codecs.

If you still can't play media files after this, I would suggest that you reformat the computer and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Provided that you know how and have the time to do it, though.

I use Premiere Elements 8 in my laptop, but it is Win7 x86. I haven't seen any problem with it so far.

I have a desktop with Win7 x64 but I don't use it there. Instead, I have a copy of Premiere Pro CS4.

Some setups can mess with your system. Perhaps that is what happened to you after uninstalling it.

I received some assistance , finally, from adobe and from the microsoft social network . the uninstaller for adobe premiere took many of the parts that belong to capitivate, contribute adobe media player, adobe acrobat ffdshow and direct 3d.

So, someone from ms social forum sent me a link to down load and reinstall direct show and all associated components. I had to reinstall/ repair all my other adobe products as well as run a repair on ms, I accomplished the windows part by repairing office as I use the full office suite and all the plugins and as it supports the used of streaming media it automatically repaired most of the issues that had gone wrong, everything else was corrected upon the install of vlc media and the afore-mentioned media player classic..home cinema version. all is right with the world now, at least as far as this post is concerned. Thanks all..have a great weekend

Mark