XP on a bootable DVD ? DVD-RW ?

unisev

I've got a newbee question :

Is it possible to do nLite the XP CD to a DVD ?

With this way there will be no more avaliable storage probleme ?

In the same way, is it possible to do a bootable DVD-RW ? or a bootable CD-RW ?

To do not have to burn a new CD just for testing drivers install !

Sev.

You don't have to burn CDs/DVDs to test installs; make an ISO with nLite and test it on a virtual machine. You will find VMWare, VirtualBox and/or VirtualPC will do the trick. As to burning your setup to a DVD, sure you can do it. I put my XP install on a DVD with loads of add-ons and programs to install from RunOnce. The end result is ~4GB.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Thank you Sp0iLedBrAt, for your answer, I'll now use DVD. And what about RW DVD and CD ?

For the Virtual Machine, I've just tried it (VirtualBox) and some results are diferent on the real machine and on the VirtualBox.

Few examples :

- I'm encountering a bug with XP theme that comes back after the first reboot (I've open a specific topic about it)

- Display config (resolution...)

- Specific machine drivers

- Drivers not usable without specific programs

Sev

Very much true unisev. Virtual machines obviously do not have the same hardware as your PC, but are an excellent way of testing the actual install process, the RunOnce process (if there is one), the unattended process and the possible bugs or errors, and a great way to prevent them from arising in your live install.

As to rewritable media, I'm not really sure, as I haven't used one, and I can't say whether a RW CD/DVD becoming bootable and its closing (not using it for burning anymore) are related. Wait around for an answer from somebody else.

All the best,

Thank you Sp0iLedBrAt, for your answer, I'll now use DVD. And what about RW DVD and CD ?

For the Virtual Machine, I've just tried it (VirtualBox) and some results are diferent on the real machine and on the VirtualBox.

Few examples :

- I'm encountering a bug with XP theme that comes back after the first reboot (I've open a specific topic about it)

- Display config (resolution...)

- Specific machine drivers

- Drivers not usable without specific programs

Sev

unisev, I use DVD+R/W and quit making coasters. Like Sp0iLedBrAt my ISO is large (>3 GB) and I have reused DVDs many times and never had a problem. As he said, you can test drivers under a VM only in a limited way. I have a USB attached printer and was able to test the drivers under VM (VMware Server). Except for drivers, I have ever found behavior different under VM and HW. I have not used VirtualBox, but my display configuration works just fine after Windows installs. It does look funny during install (small). I did have problems with the ISO creator in nLite when it got over about 2 GB and now I always use ImgBurn (free) to create ISO and burn DVD. Enjoy, John.

I´ve been facing some problems with some LG drives booting dvds

I built some xp cds with nlite and burned them with imgburn onto dvds, and with some LG drives it doesn´t work.... it crashes at the moment you have to choose the hd, partition (actually, this screen doesn´t appear, it crashes on a black screen with a blinking dot at the upper left)

has someone faced this issue too?

And what about DVD-RAM ? could they be bootable ? Could make XP CD install with DVD-RAM ?

Yes, burn a bootable ISO image to DVD-RAM. Install XP from DVD-RAM.

Maybe burn the files and not an ISO...

DVD-RAM won't be bootable, adding single files to a random acceess DVD-RAM.