Opera 10.5 On Windows 95?

Bracamonte

I have a IBM Thinkpad 770 laptop running Windows 95B. I want to install Opera on it as IE5 and FireFox 1 are useless. When I try to install Opera, I get a Error 1723 message saying that a DLL required for the install can not be run. How can I get around this?

I managed to install Opera 10 via the classic installer and it was sucessfully installed. But now, when I try to open Opera, I get two error messages. One saids The OPERA.EXE file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:DuplicateTokenEX and the other saids A device attached to the system is not functioning

Edited by Bracamonte

Too bad! According to my MSFN library (April 2001) this function is not even available in W98, but it runs fine. It seems there is a dummy function available. I hexedited opera.exe (10.51) to load OpenThreadToken() instead, which should always return FALSE, due to a wrong handle type.This edited version still runs fine on my W98SE system, which indicates the function is not really needed. You could try it, if you want: Link

Not that long ago, I had Opera 10.5 running on Windows 95. Then I tried upgrading to 10.51, and I started being prompted by the ADVAPI32.DLL error. Then I tried reverting to 10.5, and that started throwing the error at me as well! Eventually I gave up and reverted to 9.64 as the path of least resistance.

Not that long ago, I had Opera 10.5 running on Windows 95. Then I tried upgrading to 10.51, and I started being prompted by the ADVAPI32.DLL error. Then I tried reverting to 10.5, and that started throwing the error at me as well! Eventually I gave up and reverted to 9.64 as the path of least resistance.

Have you tried 10.52 beta? In seems to be more stable than 10.51 by some references. Or you may try to make a clean installation of Opera 10.5 (remove previous version and all its stuff, then install again). If it worked previously, the clean install should work...