how much to open source it ..

dexter001

Hey,

I'm wondering how much is everyone willing to put to opensource the nlite code. I'm hoping that if enough is made maybe at least 50% of the guys who were willing to put money for it to actually put the money in to make nuhi make it opensource. This way, maybe someone else or others will be willing to contribute to make it the ultimate tool for XP.

I'm in with 200EUR. Anyone else ?

Adrian.

The "source" of nlite is already, in a way, out there. I suggest you simply add further tweaks and batches that run after or on a nlited install to do more changes then what nlite can do. If you also look on a wider scale at programs that you install upon your windows install. F.ex the elusive Adobe CS series. I have mentioned this quite a few times, but there's thousands upon thousands of files in such a program package that you can remove.

Not only that but also then windows registry references. Also look at .net Framework, several of the windows services that are installed with can be deleted, its files deleted and the registry parts nuked.

I would program such a tool, if i only knew programming and had the time to learn so.

Hey,

I'm wondering how much is everyone willing to put to opensource the nlite code. I'm hoping that if enough is made maybe at least 50% of the guys who were willing to put money for it to actually put the money in to make nuhi make it opensource. This way, maybe someone else or others will be willing to contribute to make it the ultimate tool for XP.

I'm in with 200EUR. Anyone else ?

Adrian.

I guess you have it wrong. :unsure:

I don't think nuhi did (and hopefully does and will do ;)) this for money.

He never got a penny for all the work he put on it, since anyway nlite is free (as in free beer) to anyone non-Commercial to use.

Personally, though I do like nlite and the very good work nuhi put in it, I don't like the way he carries it on (all by himself and largely in a "secretive" way), but the actual point is that there is very little to release a "Open Source", nlite is mostly a collection of tweaks and hacks, "glued" together by a very simple .NET :ph34r: "wizard like" app.

Anyone with some time can collect the things nlite does and create a similar engine, don't think that this would take that much more time than the time needed to get familiar with nlite source.

You just put together FDV's files and BoldFortune's batches/tweaks, you add some of the info available here on MSFN and it will be mostly done.

Usually the problem is finding someone willing to actually spend his/her time in maintaining a program, not finding the money to "buy" the Source Code.

If I were you, instead of trying to raise the money, I would try to form/find a team of "credible" maintainers....

:)

jaclaz

Ok, I wasn't trying to make it look like we'd buy the code .. but I'm sure nuhi wouldn't mind some kind of venue ! I know I'd feel better if people paid me to do "free-food-and-beer" work ! The money could also be used for a list of contributors needs .. if that were the case .. I'm just thinking of a way to make someone ( or a group ) to improve it and get it to more up to day tweaks and stuff included in it !