Restore7.exe - Application Error

dezeul

When I start boot from recovery disc everything seem fine loading it... But it stop... Error said

"This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs" then i click OK.

Then I got another error saying

"restore7.exe application error.

The instruction at 0x740105ef referencced memory at 0x00000114. The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program"

each time I click Ok it reboot and error still there, I thought might RAM error so I run HIMEM test, everything PASSED

FYI- when i create recovery disc everything seems fine, all my 2 disc sucsess verified...

Plsss I still stuck in here, please help me....

INFO: HP PAVILION TX2000, Vista Home Premium, my warranty already xpired.

The restore7.exe fail is partially because it's poorly written, but technically it isn't built to handle running when the BIOS check for whether or not the recovery DVD is running on a system it's not designed to run on (I'll get to that in a second). The error you're getting is simply a programming error, and the .exe is trying to read from Virtual Address space (not memory like RAM) within the first 64K of the process space, which is marked PAGE_NO_ACCESS specifically to catch bad math. Ultimately, that isn't your problem.

Your problem is the error "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs" when you boot with them. The HP recovery software does a BIOS check to make sure the recovery is being done on a system that it is supported on, and for whatever reason it is failing. Have you upgraded the BIOS on this system in the past, or have you had any other BIOS issues on this box? Ultimately, to fix this you'll have to contact HP - and given that this is out of warranty, I'm not sure what you should expect. However, if the recovery software is creating DVDs that can't be used on the machine, and you haven't done anything to change the system so that the BIOS check would fail, I'm not sure they shouldn't still fix it for you anyway.

Question here... have you done anything to your hard drive at all? Replaced it or something else? The HP Recovery discs made by the media creator reads information from the Hard Drive to make sure it is allowed to recover there. I can't really tell you more than that.

Thanks for the quick respond,

Yes, before this I updated my BIOS from hp website... the reason I update it, my internal wifi is not working(not detect in device manager). Should I restore back my BIOS? How it can be done?

At first, My harddisk is ok, when i try restore using F11 fail... i try to make recovery disk, then i try boot with Recovery Disk, then error come out... I thought that the error come out coz of system file in harrdisk.... I feel everything gonna be fine, as long i got recovery Disc, I format the hardddisk for the fresh start...

Now i try to recover back data in harddidsk, especially Recovery Partition. Hope it can rcover

But I just wonder if somebody harrdidsk is damage, eventhough we have recover disc. Are we still need to send to hp?? :(

Hi are you sure you got the right bios for the system from hp.On a HP it makes no difference if you change the drive or anything else really its in the motherboard bios. HP restore can be run from f 11 at boot with no restore cds as long as the recovery partition is ok. If you use a new hard drive and the restore cds they will first create a partition for the recovery install all files to the recovery partition and install windows from that recovery partition, so the restore cds actually recreate the restore partition on a new drive.

Hi are you sure you got the right bios for the system from hp.On a HP it makes no difference if you change the drive or anything else really its in the motherboard bios. HP restore can be run from f 11 at boot with no restore cds as long as the recovery partition is ok. If you use a new hard drive and the restore cds they will first create a partition for the recovery install all files to the recovery partition and install windows from that recovery partition, so the restore cds actually recreate the restore partition on a new drive.

Im really sure bout the bios that i update from hp. And my F11 also failed to boot. So I just have HP Recovery DVD 2pcs, that I create by myself. Im also think it gonna be fine... but now... :( im totally blank...

fyi: i just format my harddisk completely... so no more recovery partition...

When HP created your computer, when they made the recovery partition, it writes data to a part of the hard drive. This is a "lock" or a bit of data that the recovery software (either the partition or the media) looks for before recovering. If that data is not present, it won't recover! Depending on how you formatted the drive, it may have removed this data!

You may be able to find some way to put that data back onto your hard drive (look in the HP Recovery Partition cannot be found thread) by using MBR tools. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what that data is or where it goes. This process will require a bunch of learning, which you can see there is a lot of stuff in that thread. I can't do much for you except lead you in the right direction.

EDIT: I forgot to add this. If the data on the hard drive is not there, it should not make the recovery media give you an error like that. It should just give you a simple message like "you are not allowed to run recovery on this machine" or something along those lines.

• 3 months later...

This is a very common problem. The recovery disks that HP provides with their new PCs do not work if you replace a hard drive or remove partitions and format your existing drive. HP has set up their BIOS and hard drives with check keys. This allows them to make sure that you cannot go to the store and buy a hard drive, but instead must call HP and purchase a hard drive directly from them. Alternatively you can purchase the recovery CDs from HP which (they claim) WILL work with a store bought hard drive for and then you must wait for them to ship the CDs to you.

It is unfortunate when a company goes out of their to make it difficult to use their products and tries to nickle and dime their customers. I am p***ed that in order to get my under warranty system back up and running I have to spend 1hr on the phone with support and then pay for them to ship the recovery CDs that (they claim) will work with a new hard drive.

What a pain. I will recommend that my clients avoid HP computers until HP works out these issues. Dell computers do not have this problem. I do NOT like that a less than one year old computer that is under warranty cannot be rebuilt without extra payments to HP and days of shipping time. Caveat Emptar.