Opinions on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Has anyone here tried this program? I'm looking for a new anti-virus/malware/spyware program. I've been a loyal panda antivirus user for years, but the new 2010 version slows down my laptop. Too much stuff running in the background and I reccently encountered the malware vista security 2010 and panda couldn't remove it. I'm also looking to ditch lavasoft ad-aware as ever version past 6.0 has been awful. Too buggy and has too much running in the background lke panda. I would prefer to have an all in one program. Is Malwarebytes a good choice?

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus replacement. It is an anti-malware application. I use it strictly as a cleaner, ie only used on an infected system. I also often rename it before running. I like it a lot, and it may be good to run once in a while, but definately do not recommend you have it do an active scan.

Microsoft has a free antivirus program that is less resource hungry than Panda. Also, MSE is not only free, but it is not a "limited" free version where you have to pay to get the real version. Only drawback is that MSE will NOT run if you have Windows Updates turned off. If you can live with them turned on (I have it set for download but let me choose what to install) then this should work out for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus replacement. It is an anti-malware application. I use it strictly as a cleaner, ie only used on an infected system. I also often rename it before running. I like it a lot, and it may be good to run once in a while, but definately do not recommend you have it do an active scan.

Microsoft has a free antivirus program that is less resource hungry than Panda. Also, MSE is not only free, but it is not a "limited" free version where you have to pay to get the real version. Only drawback is that MSE will NOT run if you have Windows Updates turned off. If you can live with them turned on (I have it set for download but let me choose what to install) then this should work out for you.

Thanks for the recommendation. I totally forgot MS had a antivirus program and didn't realize Malwarebytes was just an anti-malware app. I'll give MSE a try. I have auto update, but I'll use the setting you use so I can be picky about what gets installed.

I'm of the opinion right now that MalwareBytes is my current favorite. My old favorite used to be Giant Anti-Spyware, which used to be the #1. But then Giant got bought by Microsoft and eventually became Windows Defender and now MSE. I do not know if MSE's Anti-spyware component (yes it does this too) is better than MalwareBytes, but I haven't gotten infected with anything since installing MSE. It is possible that I'll never have to use MalwareBytes on my PC as long as MSE is installed but that's probably wishful thinking. :yes:

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have Windows automatic updates turned off, yet MSE updates automatically, hence that is not an issue

Which is the overall best performing package for AV + Internet Security - I have narrowed down on Kaspersky, Avira and Avast - I am looking at one which could support root cleaning meaning CD based / DOS based cleaning. This is really useful incase you cannot boot into Windows for any reason where in a Virus is involved.

Only drawback is that MSE will NOT run if you have Windows Updates turned off. If you can live with them turned on (I have it set for download but let me choose what to install) then this should work out for you.