Websites say to install IE8, but I already did.

adrian2055

Hi everyone,

Lately I'm getting a error message with IE8. Everytime I check my e-mail or go to certain sites it tell me to upgrade my browser to IE8, but IE8 is already installed. Even windows update tells me to install IE8. Why is that? I downloaded it from microsoft's site, but i get a message saying that a newer version of IE8 is installed (I attached the pic). Is there a way to remove IE8 so I can re-install it?

BTW...I'm running vista ultimate sp2 32-bit version.

Are you viewing the site in compat view? If so, it sends the user agent for IE7, not IE8 - you might want to take a look at a network trace when visiting some of these sites to see what user-agent your browser is sending to these sites. If it's MSIE7.0, you're viewing the site in compat view (another hint is if the little broken page icon to the right of the address bar disappears when visiting a site - that's a possible indication that the site is being viewed in compat view).

Thanks cluberti! That was part of the issue. After I disabled compat view through the group policy I don't get the error messages on websites anymore, but windows update still asks to install it. Maybe it will go away after a few restarts.