Windows 2000 on AMD 790GX/SB750 & 890GX/SB850 motherboards.

...Again great work.

I dont have 'very' up to the minute CPU's most are a few years old,

but reading your posts keeps me happy that I can update and not have to loose 2k,

because its still the only M$ OS I am happy with.

I did put a 32 bit version of XP sp2 C2D box for testing and it 'still' does loads of things I dont want it to,

but I might have another look to see if its worth the time ...one day.

Now it's time for FDV/HFslip magic? :P

Very interesting thread you've got here.

I'm going to install Windows 2000 on my HP netbook 1030NR, for app compatibility and 2d performance reasons, will let you know how I fair.. AFAIK most drivers from XP will work in 2000 on this system but it's going to be an interesting journey.

You've inspired me to kick xp/7 again on one of my systems! :)

Although I couldn't replace 7 on my network at home anymore, it's just so much less complicated getting some tasks done.

Win2k was much easier to install on my Asus M4A78T-E (790GX/SB750), operation is flawless and without any limitations.

Installation details from my notes and Nlite's LAST SESSION.INI:

First, open registry before install and enable 48-bit LBA as described here in post# 18

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/75713-48-bit-lba-on-win2k-setup/page__view__findpost__p__590337

Then I used nlite to slipstream as follows:

SP4 and Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4\Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE

Also slipstreamed from the Asus CD for M4A78T-E, in Drivers\XP directory:

\IDEATA133\amdhdc.inf,PCI_IDE

\IDEATA133\amdhdc.inf,SATA_IDE

\SMBUS\SMBUSati.inf,0

\SB700USBF\USBFilter.inf,0 (I doubt this one is needed)

\EPU\Acpi\WIN2000\ATK2000.INF,0

\Lan\x86_x64\Win2K\l1e50x86.inf,0

and blackwingcat's AHCI and video drivers mentioned earlier in this thread:

\ahcix86-2k3_2_1540_53\ahcix86.inf,Napa_i386_ahci8086

\ati1010w2k\CX106098.inf,0

After installation I applied blackwingcat's 'Logical CPU Limit Break' Windows2000-KB979683-v2-x86-ENU.EXE

That's it!

But if you want an easy one-step install then use a mobo with NVIDIA chipset, like those I mentioned above.

//

• 1 month later...

Done, Win2k on GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H. I even loaded the AHCI driver but performance is no better than "Native IDE" mode.

untitled.GIF

Also, I prefer the way NVIDIA video drivers display fonts. If you look at the image above, the ATI driver makes font look washed out.

Problem fixed, for the best possible font display, download gdi++/FreeType from here:

http://www.cobyx.com/software/gdi/

is much better than Windows XP ClearType, and comes with a font tuning utility. More info here:

http://offset.skew.org/wiki/User:Mjb/GDI%2B%2B

wiki here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww18.atwiki.jp%2Fgdiplus2%2F

and blackwingcat's latest tweaked ATI video driver, version 10.11 for win2k, I can tell the difference :D thanks bwc

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/571484.html

//

• 3 months later...

You did well, sir, con gratulation

Now could you tell me how to install, or what changes to make if I simply replace the hard-drive with one that has NT 5 installed on it ?

The machine I would like to install win2k on: Compaq Presario CQ56, AMD V160

Since 2006 I used Win2k on a Toshiba Satellite A110. I made the installation disk following Fred Vorck's instructions, to make it IE-less. (the lid of this laptop is cracking, need to replace machine)

Why do I use NT 5 ? Because it is the last version over which I may have some control. After removing wininet.dll, shdocwv.dll, urlmon.dll I can go online without firewall, without virus protection-- not that I go online using windows too often.

It is bad enough that I had to pay for XP and 7, I don't have to use them.

(On this Presario win7 is about as slow as ME on Pentium I.)

• 1 month later...
I even loaded the AHCI driver but performance is no better than "Native IDE" mode.

Ahci uses to make a huge improvement by enabling parallel requests to the disk - something Nt4 and Nt5 do all the time, more so the Prefetch of XP and followers.

Did you observe performance with the right tool? HdTach, HdTune, CrystalDiskMark and others won't tell you, as they issue one request at a time.

IOMeter is the tool of choice to see Ahci at work; AttoDisk is less good but easy to use, as opposed to IOMeter.

...replace the hard-drive with one that has NT 5 installed on it ?

If I understand properly, you have a W2k installed on a disk on a different machine and hope to transfer the disk and W2k...

This operation is well-known to be less than obvious! On all Nt-series Windows, including W2k.

The essential reason is that Nt-series load the driver for the disk host (often called: disk controller) as they boot.

So if the source and destination machine have the same host, or maybe the same host driver, I've seen it work up to now.

If the host differs, the transfer fails.

Many processes have been invented, each needs about one page to explain. :wacko:

The most straightforward - but I haven't tried it - should be to transfer the disk, start the W2k install Cd, feed it with the F6 diskette and ask the Cd to "repair Windows".

It uses to keep your data but lose some of your settings, and your Windows updates if your Cd isn't slipstreamed.

The mode that repairs only the start files could keep more of your installation.

Dumb and oversized method, but it takes 20min, less than other methods take to understand.

First I tried to boot from the installation CD. It did not work. All I got was a blue screen

Then I removed the hard-drive, put it in the older laptop; installed w2k on it; then put it back in the new machine; tried to boot, expecting safe mode; no; only got a blue screen, again.....

Neither does the live XP CD work.

I can boot the Presario DOS 7, using a memory stick.

First I tried to boot from the installation CD. It did not work. All I got was a blue screen

Then I removed the hard-drive, put it in the older laptop; installed w2k on it; then put it back in the new machine; tried to boot, expecting safe mode; no; only got a blue screen, again.....

Neither does the live XP CD work.

I can boot the Presario DOS 7, using a memory stick.

What mobo are you using? If you try my post #33 above it may work fine.

• 3 months later...

What mobo are you using? If you try my post #33 above it may work fine.

PCA UMA sytem board

AMD V-160 processor, 2.4GHz, 512-MB L2 cache, 1066MHz, 3.2GT/s, single core, 25W

250GB, 7200rpm hard-drive

bash-3.1# lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge Alternate

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)

00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)

00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)

00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller

00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller

00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 42)

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)

00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller (rev 40)

00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)

00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller

00:16.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:16.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] DRAM Controller

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control

00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Link Control

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9712

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4727 (rev 01)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

This operation is well-known to be less than obvious! On all Nt-series Windows, including W2k.

The host is obviously different, and I get the blue screen

Is there a way to boot the machine in Linux and copy whatever files needed, to the right places ?

Other question:

So the live XP cd which I made a few years ago on the Toshiba Satellite A110, does not work either, because the motherboard is different ?

Edited by 789

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know from where to download ahcix86.sys

or how to disable native SATA support in BIOS ?

found one---

http://www.sysfiles-download.com/phome/?phome=DownSoft&softid=2165&pathid=0&pass=fb92fd764ef001a1d4385d7429dff2b4&p=:::

No need to disable SATA, use Nlite to slipstream any hardware drivers you need, see my post #33 above. Just google for blackwingcat's AHCI and video drivers -- "ahcix86-2k3_2_1540_53" and "ati1010w2k".

Or you can just run Windows 2000 in a virtual machine with 64-bit Ubuntu Linux as host, in which case no hardware drivers are needed because the guest OS uses the host's resources.

//

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with BlackWingCat's graphic drivers (I hope he reads this this topic ;)) and PAE.

They just simply don't work! There's no problem when PAE is disabled but as soon as I enable PAE and reboot, the screen doesn't show up. Monitor just goes off after bootlogo. Everything starts working properly only if I disable PAE again...

I tried both 10.x and 11.x vesion of the drivers but there's no difference :(