Top 3 most wanted feats for w7/Serv08R2 install media customizers.

My top 3 wanted for such win7 install media customizer programs.

#1 Ability to change location of program files (x86/x64) / common files (x86/x64), docs&settings, all these type of directories.

#2 Option to import my own tweaks, i have a thousand+ unique tweaks that arent anywhere else, it will never happen that any such program can have all the tweaks i want, so an option to import such data would be nice.

#3 Option to import own removal scripts - with override ability, in case i find something isnt working correctly from the removal in the program, i can make my own mod of it that fixes it.

This way I can also rely on myself. Which would be great, considering my own humble knowledge of what's needed for stuff to work and that a program of this make can never catch up, less i could program myself.

Thanks.

#1 Ability to change location of program files (x86/x64) / common files (x86/x64), docs&settings, all these type of directories.

#2 Option to import my own tweaks, i have a thousand+ unique tweaks that arent anywhere else, it will never happen that any such program can have all the tweaks i want, so an option to import such data would be nice.

#3 Option to import own removal scripts - with override ability, in case i find something isnt working correctly from the removal in the program, i can make my own mod of it that fixes it.

This way I can also rely on myself. Which would be great, considering my own humble knowledge of what's needed for stuff to work and that a program of this make can never catch up, less i could program myself.

Thanks.

IMHO

• #1 Why? I personally have not figured out what advantage that does. I make all my apps save stuff to a different drive so if I need to reinstall which I do quite frequently (If a drive can't handle 200 reinstall's a year then it's not worth having) yes of course I use VM a lot more now testing stuff since it has advanced to a much better level from XP days. It don't matter. I don't lose anything with my applications backup methods. Fox, Tbird, Trillian and any other program I have on. All the settings, reg stuff and so on
  • #2 I have probably the most complete collection which probably surpasses your 1000 by quite a bit but just how many of those work with Win 7? On my back burner I still have a tweaking program but haven't had much time to mess with it so I inclde a folder will run all those .reg, .vbs, .cmd as needed.
  • 3. That would be tough to do since 7 is so new and things have changed quite a bit. With SP1 on the horizon things will most definitely change quite a bit more since MS does that just to mess up all the customizing applications out here. They confused and don't know where they going or how they will get there. Dam, think I work for a place like that

- to circumvent the need to backup stuff from userdata when i reinstall, i have it on a different drive, basically anything that i install on systemdrive can be wiped at anytime, no backup needed, just go for it.

- microsoft likes to name dirs based upon language. I like to be in control of what the location/name is. Call it old habit if you must.

Lol. I'm not talking about just previous tweaks that got integrated to nlite or vlite or such, but my own tweaks that set things my way, as well as scripts that does do cleanups and adjustments otherwise to the system to my liking.

This includes but is not limited to setting up preferences for programs, think of it as beyong silent installs. Complete and utter control and setup of the programs on my system. Tho i mostly run portable apps, at a cleanly installed system, i'm still going to need to set filetypes to run whatever program for given filetype and so forth. So it's a lot more then tweaks as disabling and deleting pagefile and so forth.

Another thing is that were the case many times with previous programs were that the tweak were incorrect or not all alternatives were covered/alternatives werent necessarily preferrable.

#3 Understandable. I'd still think this would be an awesome feature tho. Not to mention easier for users to contribute with their own removals on a community level.

Basically on #2 and #3 i think it could speedup the process on further integrated features in the program.

- to circumvent the need to backup stuff from userdata when i reinstall, i have it on a different drive, basically anything that i install on systemdrive can be wiped at anytime, no backup needed, just go for it.

- microsoft likes to name dirs based upon language. I like to be in control of what the location/name is. Call it old habit if you must

I still don't get it what about stuff programs add to registry and system folder you still need to reinstall most programs.

- microsoft likes to name dirs based upon language. I like to be in control of what the location/name is. Call it old habit if you must

I still don't get it what about stuff programs add to registry and system folder you still need to reinstall most programs.

No i dont i use only portable programs except for Adobe CS, and even that there exists ways to make portable. All games i have are installed with registry data kept from the install media, so i never reinstall any games either. In order to make this happen i of course need a way to import data during install so the operating system is aware of what applications i have already in place on other disks.

John, currently i have rewritten all tweaks so i run everything from command line, i dont use .reg imports any more, its all at the command line. It's not something i write with public in mind. But good news, maxx has his "complete collection", lol.

But good news, maxx has his "complete collection", lol.

well yes I do because being a developer I am a debugger, you take every tweak program on the planet even some before they started selling them and after including X-setup and you trace each and everything they do one or 2 at a time.

You take the group policy things and trace each and everything it does. Thats massive

Kinda fits as urie and I have done same things with well over 1000 applications and many, many different versions of the same. Unfortunately we would edit and update it to new versions not keeping the old in most cases. Also trash the junk apps most definitely.

Spent many hours talking back and forth testing all this stuff, debugging down to last item needed for a good install with serial, files, reg, entire folders to keep our settings.

Thats how we developed the Appswitch.dat used with my program