Looking For Freeware

morland

Looking for good freeware for the following purposes:

1) Generates a report of all installed sofware. It would be ideal if it can somehow read the registry and also generate list of software which are no longer installed but have their traces in the registry

2) A freeware which will allow me to capture the text displayed in error messages/dialog boxes.

Thank you

1. Would be practically impossible, since software can write data into virtually any part of the registry.
    It would mean that a database would have to be maintained (at the manufacturer's site of the tool) with all
    possible registry-entries for all (known) applications around (and there are millions of apps...)
    Though not impossible, I doubt such a free tool exists that can 100% clean your registry :no:
    It would be easier to make a snapshot of your registry before installing an application and see what changes
    have been made once it's ran and uninstalled again.
  2. Uhm... PhotoShop, PaintShopPro or the "PrintScreen"-button on your keyboard ;)
    It not entirely impossible do get the plain message, though...
    Such a tool needs to grab a handle of that error-message- or dialog-window and let you select its message,
    but since not all compilers use Windows internal MESSAGEBOX'es it would not always be able to distinguish
    "Custom-made" error-message or dialogs.
    However, you could use a tool like Greatis Windose to select a window and its texts and copy that to your
    clipboard for further processing :yes:

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Thanks VideoRipper :) Appreciate your reply.

1. Would be practically impossible, since software can write data into virtually any part of the registry.
    It would mean that a database would have to be maintained (at the manufacturer's site of the tool) with all
    possible registry-entries for all (known) applications around (and there are millions of apps...)
    Though not impossible, I doubt such a free tool exists that can 100% clean your registry :no:
    It would be easier to make a snapshot of your registry before installing an application and see what changes
    have been made once it's ran and uninstalled again.

I agree but I'm sure that must be some freeware available which allows generation (and saving) of reports at least for the currently installed software.

1. However, you could use a tool like Greatis Windose to select a window and its texts and copy that to your
    clipboard for further processing :yes:

Windose sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Many thanks for sharing :thumbup

To get the text from a standard messagebox, type Ctrl + C to copy to clipboard. Open a text editor and type Ctrl + V to paste the contents of the clipboard into the text editor.

Great tip MHz! :thumbup

In all those years, I never knew this could be done :blushing:

MHzError.png

CTRL+C or CTRL+Ins results in:

---------------------------

MSFN Test-message

Let's see if MHz is right...

OK

Learned something new today :hello:

Greetz,

Peter.

@morland

Have a look at SIW 2010, it may offer most of what you want in a report.

The freeware version allows for the creation of an 'html' report only. I wanted a list of all installed updates, I like

the final product. The 'html' file is easily edited if you don't like a few of the additional bits of info, including a

'banner ad' and a request for a cup of coffee if you like the program - both as links. The 'Report' list can be modified,

go to 'Tools' - 'Options' - 'Report', or click 'Options' and check / uncheck what you would like the report to include.

You can see a comparison of features between the free and pro versions.

I like the standalone (portable) version - 'siw.exe' - no installer. Anyway, have a look if interested. :)

...Comparison - Pro vs. Free

...Downloads

Thanks morland and peter, but I will add to the topic. :)

I agree but I'm sure that must be some freeware available which allows generation (and saving) of reports at least for the currently installed software.

To track changes in the registry, yes. These are technical tools so I hope not above your level of knowledge, morland.

A good tool is RegShot. Click the green button here to download RegShot. Now I am not sure if it still exists but a Russian developer did his version of RegShot and it has more to offer but russian language etc. on webpage so is hard to find. These tools can export a difference file of registry changes. Numerous programs exist that can record registry differences but may have a cost.

Another that may help is from Nirsoft. Nirsoft has many good portable utilities including RegFromApp and MyUninstaller. The 1st I have not used but it sounds of interest for your query. The 2nd is a informative uninstaller and it does have export capabilities (as with many of the NirSoft apps).

If you just want a registry cleaner, then try CCleaner. It has been safe to use so far with registry entries that I have observed to this day. Get the slim version here (no toolbar)

• 2 weeks later...