Windows Installer Problem

Hello to all.

Apon trying to install ISA Server, im given error 1719 from Windows Installer, after using google for a bit, i've uninstalled the MSI App, then re installed it, with no success, im still getting error 1719.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, thanks in advance :)

Ethan..... :)

Enable Windows Installer verbose logging (the article is for XP, but any XP/2003 system with MSI 3.1 or newer can do this) and check the resulting log file in %temp% for actual verbose failure information.

It is worth noting that error 1719 means "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.", so making sure the installer service is installed and registered properly is a good idea, and upgrading to 4.5 isn't a bad idea either if you haven't done so already.

I assume this is happening with all MSI and not just the ISA server.

Is this SBS 2003 + ISA 2006 by chance ?

Just Tried, and its with all MSI packages, tried office 03 and ISA, and its Server 2003 Standard SP2

I would perhaps enable verbose logging first and try ANY MSI install again, and see if the log file gets created in %temp%. If not, you'll know it never got far enough to even start the service and create the log - but if so, it might give some info as to what's happening. The error does state that there's a problem with the service, but it doesn't say what (nor is it anything but vague), so there may actually be a problem with the service that a log will display. I wouldn't recommend reinstalling SP2 on the server unless this machine was recently built and isn't in production (of course at that point, I'd recommend reinstalling the whole OS - it'd be quicker).

Here is a link on how to enable logging...

Open the registry with Regedit.exe and create the following path and keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Reg_SZ: Logging

Value: voicewarmupx

I've enabled it, and its created a log file, which is huge, 161Kb text file, and i dont know how to decode it.

So i'm stuck again! :}