Deploying created image with windows deployment toolkit

Hello all,

I really hope somebody can help me with this problem I'm having.

I am using WDT to install windows 7 unattended and some programs-that works great.

However I would like to create an image with all programs installed and a few registry edits already made and deploy it to other machines.

I can successfully create the image and import it into the deployment toolkit. I create a new task sequence which points to the newly made image. I had to copy the .clg file from the windows 7 cd into that Operating systems folder and rename it so it has the name of the .wim file and then I could open up the Unattended file through the task sequence properties.

When I go to deploy this image, I always get the error message:

"Windows couldn't apply unattended settings during pass [offline servicing]

Setup failed applying image c:\minint\operating system\cepe2\cepe2.wim, rc=31

ZTI error -non-zero return code by LTIApply rc=31

Litetouch deployment fialed, return code=-2147467259 0x80004005"

I've tried several images, all leading to the same results. I have absolutely no clue why, but I have never been able to get a customized image working!! I've search the web hi and low, but can't find someone with the same problem AND a solution!

I'm using a virtual server 2008, 32-bit, standard edition.

I'm trying to deploy windows 7 32-bit

I really appreciate any help offered.

Thank you,

This is saying you have a problem with your XML. Please edit your autounattend.xml to remove the product key and attach it to your reply. We can look at it and find the problem.

Hi Tripredacus. I'm attaching the unattend.xml

Thank you for your help!

Unattend.xml

offlineServicing only thing is DriverPaths

where is the Driver folder located?

do you have Litetouch in that folder?

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by the question, "do I have litetouch in that folder"? I left it as the default .\Drivers. It works for the original install of windows 7. I mean, I can deploy 7 that I had imported from the cd with the same unattend.xml file and had no problems.

Thanks,

when you create a image through MDT, it also creates a lite touch PE to boot the PC with, are you using this PE to boot machines? this contains the client parts needed to find the MDT share to launch the WIM install with windows 7 on it.

when you create a image through MDT, it also creates a lite touch PE to boot the PC with, are you using this PE to boot machines? this contains the client parts needed to find the MDT share to launch the WIM install with windows 7 on it.

Hi, thank you for replying.

I'm using the deployment services pxe boot to start the machines. I imported the litetouch boot image into the deployment services because otherwise it didn't find the share. Is that what I need to change?

Thank you!

Hi,

you have imported a Windows 7 from your DVD.

So please try this:

Create a new task for deploying and capturing just the plain Windows 7. You do not need to use a product key yet.

After this update your deployment share, which may create new boot images. Import them into the WDS and restart WDS.

Reboot your client computer and start from PXE. Run your test task sequence, but do not join a domain. The wizard should now allow you to capture this image. Do this.

After this procedure has run succesfully, you should have a new image which you import to your operating systems. During the import select "Custom image file" and "Copy setup files from specified path", selecting your Windows 7 DVD import.

After this create a new test task deploying this captured image.

If this all work, you should be able to modify your installation.