Windows 7 connecting to NT4 PDC

ElGranDoofus

In a small shop with an NT4 PDC, I've been trying to connect some new machines. The clients are Windows 7 professional, 64-bit. Trying to map a network drive from the PDC fails (invalid username/password), so does trying to join the domain. I've tried user-pass, user/domain-pass, etc., no luck.

Finally, I went over to the NT4 server, and took a look in the event log. No reports of any failed logins at all. Now I'm confused.

I made sure that the Win7 clients have the client for Microsoft networks, and that they have file sharing enabled. Just for fun, I even tried with their firewalls turned off. No luck.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Well, I guess that's what I was missing. Thank you!

Rumor is some people are joining older domains using XP Mode, from Windows 7. With app integration, I imagine it would be seamless.

EDIT: Looks like Cluberti's beat me to it....

Edited by MrJinje

It is, but it puts all of your NTLM data in clear text out on the wire - not that the NTLM hashing in NT4 is great, but it's something. Cool that someone figured it out, not cool what it takes to make it happen ;).

Good catch awergh, forgot all about nitro's method Here is a quick re-cap. (in case that link ever stops working in the future :whistle: )

open secpol.msc and change the highlighted setting

secpol.png

You need to "Enable" that setting. (it should be disabled by default)