Help Video Card Resolution Problem

mmarable

Okay, I'm stumped.

I have 3 computers, a Shuttle K45, an old Dell Demension and a custom built machine. They are all going through a KVM connected to a Viewsonic 23" LCD.

The native resolution of the monitor is 1920x1080.

The Shuttle and the old Dell both use on-board Intel graphics chips (a 945 for the Shuttle and a 915 for the Dell). Both of these drive the monitor at the 1920x1080, 32bit color at 60Hz beautifully.

The custom machine started with an ATI 3450 that couldn't push it beyond 1680x1050 (32bit color @60Hz) without all sorts of what looks like "interlaced" video that gets worse towards the bottom of the screen.

I replaced the ATI card with an nVidia GT240, but it does the same thing.

I just don't get it. I'm using the latest drivers.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Cable length, shielding, quality (some cables are absolute junk), what other cable(s) run along it (interference) and many other things may affect it, as well as the card's design itself (impedance mismatch, design of the DAC's output filters, etc) and a whole bunch of other problems. VGA is notorious for problems with longer cables and high resolutions.

Either ways, DVI (or HDMI) normally looks far better. DVI KVM switches have come down in a price too, you can get a basic 4 port DVI KVM (with USB) for like $200, or about $300 for a HDMI model. Well, it's cheap, unless you ever decide you need more than one DVI port, or that you need dual-link DVI ports, it that it has to be a multi-user switch (and forget about digital audio altogether).