KernelEx question

I'm having an issue with KernelEx and some fonts (I didn't want to add to the KernelEx thread because I'm sure I'm just missing something). I'm using 4.5 Beta 2 and Firefox 3.5. Fonts on menus, dialogs, and webpages are completely missing in Firefox, and on some installers there are blocks instead of characters. I suspect it has something to do with unicode support. I've installed all the available updates for 98, and I've tried adding and replacing some of the fonts. I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas? A screenshot is attached.

post-275175-127036494121_thumb.jpg

I'm having an issue with KernelEx and some fonts (I didn't want to add to the KernelEx thread because I'm sure I'm just missing something). I'm using 4.5 Beta 2 and Firefox 3.5. Fonts on menus, dialogs, and webpages are completely missing in Firefox, and on some installers there are blocks instead of characters. I suspect it has something to do with unicode support. I've installed all the available updates for 98, and I've tried adding and replacing some of the fonts. I've searched the forums but can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas? A screenshot is attached.

Hi

I have the same issue with some application some weeks ago;

there were some fonts files that were corrupt :wacko:

I resolve this with restoring the original fonts of W98 from the install cd ;

You can try this to restore the original fonts of W98 with this tutorial:

How to Restore the Windows Default Fonts in Windows 98

But first uninstall KernelEX and reboot you computer; after restoring the original fonts you can reinstall KernelEX

;)

I have also seen this error. I did not post about it because I do not have any screenshots from it, I was only testing KEX in a VM for the first time. I was running a clean install of 98SE with only Plus! 98, DX9 (Dec2006), IE6SP1, WMP7.1, and specific updates required for KEX installed.

I was using Firefox 3.0.18, and no text would be visible at all in the menus, or on visited websites. What was more bizarre, is if I watched very closely, when I first opened Firefox, the text would be there. Then it would shrink down into the "underlines" as if it were being squashed :w00t::lol:

Rebooting the VM would sometimes partially fix the text, but "null characters" would still be visible in some places, especially in the menus, there was always one at the end of each item in a menu.

No text in Firefox is VPC video driver specific bug afaik.

I was running VMware Workstation when I saw the error. (May use the same driver(s) as VPC, I'm fairly new to VM's so I don't know, :unsure: , thought I should mention it though.)

@mjdbb1

Please specify whether or you were running in a VM or a real machine. :)

I should have specified, I'm running in a VM (VPC 2007 to be exact). It's very possible that it's a driver issue, but I don't think anything can be done with the video driver in VPC (?). If I had something compatible with 9X I'd try it in a real machine. Also, if it makes a difference, Firefox 2.x builds don't have this problem.

@patclash:

Thanks for the idea. I gave it a try restoring the fonts but it didn't fix this issue.

First of all: Sorry for my bad English!

I'am using VPC 2007 SP1 all Updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC#Microsoft_Virtual_PC_2004_.2F_Virtual_PC_2007

Maybe you haven't got the Hotfix Rollup?

I have Windows98SE as Guest.

98 SE SP 3.0 BETA 4, Directx 9 Dec 2006, KernelEx 4.5 Beta2,

My workaround for missing Fonts with Firefox 3.5.8:

Changing the Screen Resolution of Win98 before running the Firefox.

But it do not help against NULL-Characters at the End of menus for example.

I never got Fonts problems with programs that have official support for Win98, like Firefox 2, Seamonkey 1, KernelEx-Installer,...

Nevertheless the emulated Graphiccard and the VMAdditions-Driver for it is just "bad".

Even simple 2D-Games do not run like Warcraft2 Battle Net Edition or Command and Conquer 1 for Windows.

Games are not the porpuse of these Virtualizer.

I hoped to get a chance playing old Windows 95/98 Games that do not run properly with Windows XP.

Really off-the-wall but...

You say you're using VPC2k7. Have you installed the Add-Ons from VPC2k4sp1? You "may" need that (Add-On's from 2k7 are not supported). Download from MS (a ZIP file needing extracted), then extract the MSI inside (however you wish; UniExtract works on the MSI file). In the VM (after up-and-running the Guest), use the "Capture ISO Image", navigate to the Additions ISO extracted and run it.

Don't know if this will help as I currently don't have any "fixes" on my VM-98SE to check it out (or even know if you've tried this already).

Fonts on menus, dialogs, and webpages are completely missing in Firefox, and on some installers there are blocks instead of characters.

I suspect it has something to do with unicode support.

My 2 cents:

1°) Have you got installed 'Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95, 98, and Me Systems' ?

You have to drop the 2 files in your Windows\System directory.

Last version is 1.1.3790.0.

2°) I had your problem with last version of VLC media player (= 1.0.5).

Have a look in the 'KernelEx 4.5 Beta 2' thread for the workarounds I had tried:

http://www.msfn.org/board/kernelex-beta-t130936-page-480.html -> Post 482 & 486-488, 491

http://www.msfn.org/board/kernelex-beta-t130936-page-520.html -> Post 531, 532

HTH

Edited by CharlesF

I've tried the VM additions as well as the unicode and other fixes suggested...same problem. I'm willing to chalk it up to crummy video driver support in VPC. I haven't read anywhere of this same problem on a real machine. I'm open to any other ideas...

Seems like some other unofficial extension which you've installed is conflicting with KernelEX. Please state what extensions you've installed. Does that happen when you install Firefox 2.0?

BTW what is your Windows 98's locale?

I had my Chinese IME broken whenever I install KernelEX(All versions after 0.36a?), and had to disable KernelEx extensions for firefox.exe for it to work though.

My 2 cents:

1°) Have you got installed 'Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95, 98, and Me Systems' ?

You have to drop the 2 files in your Windows\System directory.

Last version is 1.1.3790.0.

From what I remembered: It MUST be v1.1.3790.0. No other version would work, and may cause crashes.

about unicows.dll

maybe there are many more unicows.dll files on his virtual harddisk.

The VPC2007SP1 VMAAdditions and the latest Java Runtime comes with outdated versions of unicows.dll.

I deleted the VMAAdditions unicows.dll and I updated the Java-Unicow.dll with/in? the MS-Dos-Mode of Win98SE.

Changing all fonts in the Display-Appearences? to Tahoma(Western) and the Null-Characters in Firefox 3.5.8 are gone.

It is really a scavenger hunt to make a modern Browser plus the latest Java and Flash running with Win98.

Java: Installing halts, you have to install the jre1.6.0_19.msi in the Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_19-directory manually.

PS. easier way: With no internet connection the Install do not halt. I tested it with the latest JAVARuntime 1.6.0.20!

unchecking the Java-Next-Gen plugin in the System-Appearences/Preferences? of JAVA.

The next-Gen-Plugin of Java do not work with Win98. And Firefox 3.6 only supports the Next-Gen-Plugin.

But Firefox 3.5 supports the classic-Java-Plugin.

Flash is easier:

you have to get the latest NPSWF32.dll and flashplayer.xpt file.

Maybe from existing installation, or by extracting the Flashinstaller(Opera,Firefox,..) with 7-Zip.

Then copy these two files into the Firefox/plugins-Directoy.

And at last:

With

general.useragent.override

and

general.oscpu.override

in the prefs.js-File of Firefox

you can show that you are using Win98.

KernelEx sets the Useragent and OS-Cpu to Windows NT5.0(Win2000) in Firefox 3.5 by default.

You can check it here

http://browserspy.dk/useragent.php

http://browserspy.dk/browser.php

http://browserspy.dk/os.php

But only for Firefox itself, not for the Java-Plugin for example.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

My english is to bad to explain these features, but just google for it.

Edited by WIN98SE

It is really a scavenger hunt to make a modern Browser plus the latest Java and Flash running with Win98.

:whistle: With Opera (last version) everything is running like a charm :yes:

It has his own java system, all add-ons are included, and it is one of the faster browser :D

You only have to install the Flash plugin (with KernelEx, if you want the last version) or to use the 2 files as you said.

:whistle: With Opera (last version) everything is running like a charm :yes:

It has his own java system, all add-ons are included, and it is one of the faster browser :D

You only have to install the Flash plugin (with KernelEx, if you want the last version) or to use the 2 files as you said.

I have no experience with Opera!

I read this:

http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/375/

Opera uses the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on your system directly instead of using the plug-in to run Java applets. It is not possible to use the Java plug-in with Opera.

JRE can be downloaded from:

http://www.java.com/getjava/ (Multiple operating systems)

Follow the instructions on the Sun page to install JRE. When the installation is complete, you need to restart Opera to be able to use Java applets.

And with Opera 10.51 i get this with opera:plugins

Java Platform SE 6 U19application/x-java-applet

application/x-java-bean

application/x-java-vm

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1

application/x-java-bean;version=1.1

application/x-ja$

C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npjp2.dll

That's the Java Next Gen Plugin!

How can you convince Opera 10.51 to use its own "Java-Runtime", or the classic Java Plugin?

With Opera 10.10 this testsite give me a tick for the Java_plugin

http://pluginchecker.com/

With 10.51 it is the same not working javaNextGen_plugin-thing like Firefox 3.6.