BAD_POOL_CALLER during windows XP instalation

BandofBrothers

im not 100% sure this is an Nlite issue, but i was trying to install XP on a computer, and i used Nlite to install the drivers for both Intel and AMD hard drive >Intel< and >AMD< I was able to do it with my XP 64 bit edition with just the intel drivers on my computer, but doing the same thing with my 32 bit version, and both drivers (after i found out her computer is the AMD set) it will BSOD with BAD_POOL_CALLER after it trys to load the drivers, and before you get to the screen to format the drive.

my question is, could this be because i added all the drivers (AMD + Intel) or somthing else, i can post any logs you want in about 2 hours, as i am in school at the moment

Edited by BandofBrothers

I tryed installing the ISO i made with the nlite files on a virtualbox and now i get BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen at the same spot, im going to test to see if the original iso i used to extract the files was messed up.

Yes, i used the 32bit drivers on a 32bit installation cd, and the error code was 0x000000c2

Edited by BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers, there are lots of hits here and on Google. Probably a bad driver. Did you see my question about 32/64 bit? Is the code 0C2? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Just saw your Last Session - was not up when I last replied. I suggest that you determine exactly what HW she has and include only the driver you need. The problem with text mode drivers is that if the driver file (xxx.sys) name is the same in more than one driver set, then the last one that gets there is the one that will be used. You can look at the drivers and see if this is true. Also running nLite under VISTA (or W7) to create an XP ISO is asking for trouble. Sometimes it works and sometimes not - especially when an SP is integrated.

Edited by johnhc

EDIT: Just saw your Last Session - was not up when I last replied. I suggest that you determine exactly what HW she has and include only the driver you need. The problem with text mode drivers is that if the driver file (xxx.sys) name is the same in more than one driver set, then the last one that gets there is the one that will be used. You can look at the drivers and see if this is true. Also running nLite under VISTA (or W7) to create an XP ISO is asking for trouble. Sometimes it works and sometimes not - especially when an SP is integrated.

well, i am installing XP into a virtualbox, ill try and make the XP cd that way, and when i tryed adding the text drivers for AMD there was only one added (might conflixt with the intel ones i added) ill make a new cd this way and report back!

BandofBrothers, if you are getting the error in a VM, then it can't be a text mode driver problem. Are you? Please do look at your *.sys files (you can use Search) and see if any have the same name - if error on HW. Are you? Enjoy, John.

BandofBrothers, if you are getting the error in a VM, then it can't be a text mode driver problem. Are you? Please do look at your *.sys files (you can use Search) and see if any have the same name - if error on HW. Are you? Enjoy, John.

well, i just installed XP on the VM with out the drivers and it worked just fine.

well, i just installed XP on the VM with out the drivers and it worked just fine.

Text mode drivers do not get tested in a VM since it does not have access to the real HDDs. Where did you get the 0C2 - VM or HW? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I just checked that you are using Vista x64 to run nLite. Can you use XP - even under VM?

Edited by johnhc

1) it was in HW (on her physical computer)

2) vista? i am 100% sure i'm not using vista, but windows 7

3) i am going to test making a install disk with nlite in XP in the VM with and without the drivers

Edited by BandofBrothers

as of right now, it is over half way copying system files over, i used my cd with NO extra drivers and it is way past where i was before, im wondering if adding the drivers on windows 7 caused the problems? o well, ill report back if anything happens now.

BandofBrothers, the code 6.1.7600.0 is the same for Vista and W7, so I cannot tell which it is. Are you installing on a SATA drive in AHCI mode or on a RAID? Then you need added text mode drivers, otherwise, not. It is still possible that you will crash with a 07B error. Have you ever tried to install on the HW with no text mode drivers after nLiteing under W7? As I said initially, I cannot predict if making an XP ISO under Vista/W7 will work properly and I don't think I have seen building a 32 bit ISO under 64 bit, but that should probably work. Enjoy, John.

Same problem here BSOD with BAD_POOL_CALLER before the hardrive detection, (AMD & Intel latest drivers integrated)

I had a great thought "use the old drivers!!" (8.9.0.1023) so i decided to try it and for a strange reason I decided to take off the AMD drivers

I was really surprised when the problem seemed to be fixed xDD

using the old intel drivers without the amd worked fine.

Greetings from Mexico!

Edited by Fabiola

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same exact problem. I tried the CD on several machines (with various intel and non-intel chipsets), no testing was performed in a virtual environment. It turns out that the Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 drivers were causing the BAD_POOL_CALLER STOP 0xC2 BSOD every time. I tried creating a CD with and without the AMD SATA drivers, but there was no difference. The BSOD occurred on both XP SP3 and XP x64 SP2 CDs when using nlite to integrate the Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 drivers.

I corrected the BSOD by using the older Intel MSM 8.9.6.1002 drivers. Additionally, using the Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 drivers after Windows installation is fine (using the iata96cd installer).

A side note to Fabiola and other users: I would stay away from the 8.9.0.1023 drivers if you are using any sort of RAID configuration. Those drivers have a bug that randomly flags drives in a RAID array as "bad", even when the drives have no fault at all. I've experienced this issue on 100% of systems using that driver and RAID arrays. The bug happened on a variety of chipsets, operating systems, and hard drives.

Edited by SADtherobot