• Single core Pentium IV 3.0 GHz with Hyperthreading
  • Intel 9G965RY motherboard
  • ATI HD 4830 512MB video card
  • 2.5GB DDR2 RAM @533MHz
  • 80GB IDE HDD + 80GB SATA HDD + 500GB SATA HDD
  • Samsung T220 22" LCD
  • 500 Watts PSU
  • Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)

I am looking to upgrade the processor and motherboard to a 64-bit system. Which processor/mobo combination do you recommend, keeping in mind that I will probably not change this again for the next 2-3 years, and that one of my main reasons for the upgrade is gaming? I am looking for at least a Core2Duo. Also it would be nice if you add the approx cost too of your suggestions. While I don't have a specific budget in mind, its not going to be too high.

Related question: If the processor+mobo go 64-bit, will my 32-bit Windows still work as usual or do I need to install a 64-bit version?

*Edited post to correct motherboard version*

Edited by indianarchie

32Bit Windows works fine on 64Bit hardware, although it would make be better to run 64Bit so you get the benefit of more then 3~3.5GB RAM.

I would look past Core 2 Duo because it has been replaced by Core i3/i5/i7.

You will probably need a new PSU though because the newer motherboards take an 8 pin connector instead of a 4 pin connector and you haven't specified what your PSU is.

I would probably be thinking of

Core i5 750

Gigabyte 1366 Motherboard (Depends on what you want whether you want 2 onboard NICs ect, you might prefer ASUS but Gigabyte is my preference)

4GB or 8GB DDR3 RAM

AMD is probably an option to but I'm not very familiar with AMD, something to do with the only AMD CPU I have ever used being an AMD K6-2 350

Not sure what prices are at the moment and I doubt it would be in the right currency if I did, I'm sure someone else can help

Unfortunately, as far as current product goes, no current Intel boards are going to work with 533MHz DDR2. Everything is either 667 or 800. If you want to use your current RAM, you're going to need to look at other brands. Otherwise if you are looking for new RAM, definately get something with DDR3. Good examples would be any of the Intel X series boards which use DDR2, and can make use of a Quad Core or Xeon CPU. Here are a few boards I've dealt with:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=41162,42486,36888,33394,

It totally depends on your budget and which games you'd want to play and all that. Then again, I can't find any information about this motherboard whatsoever, so it's just about impossible to know what it has or supports. The best we can do is guess what it might support, based on guessing it most likely has a Intel 965G chipset.

Either ways, your main limitation for mostly anything seems to be the CPU. You *might* be able to drop an inexpensive dual core CPU on there. Even a $50 E3300 would be a huge improvement over a P4 3GHz (about 4x faster or so), but again I have no idea if your board would support anything newer than a P4. You will have to find out what it supports first, or buy something hoping it might work (bad idea), or buy a new motherboard and CPU.

As for buying a new CPU and motherboard, there's a LOT of options...

I would look past Core 2 Duo because it has been replaced by Core i3/i5/i7.

You will probably need a new PSU though because the newer motherboards take an 8 pin connector instead of a 4 pin connector and you haven't specified what your PSU is

I wouldn't personally be buying something based on Socket 775 + DDR2 indeed. But the i3 isn't exactly a great value IMO, and i5/i7 doesn't seem exactly what he had in mind ("While I don't have a specific budget in mind, its not going to be too high.").

Price of a basic i3 upgrade:

Absolute cheapest (and slowest) Core i3 (530): $120

Basic Gigabyte 1156 motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H): $105

4GB (2x2GB) DDR3: $100 or more depending on brand and speed/voltage/timings

Total: $325 or more... No need for a new PSU with that board (assuming it's a decent 500W)

If you want a i5 750, just replace the i3 for the i5 750 (it's also 1156, not 1366), and you're up to $400+.

As for AMD, you'd likely go with a socket AM3 board & DDR3 RAM. Same prices for RAM, and a decent board would cost about the same too. The main difference is the CPUs have more value for your money. In general, you can have the same performance as the i3 for about 60% of the price.

AMD are a somewhat better value (performance/price). Intel is a better pick if you want the really fast CPUs though.

It totally depends on your budget and which games you'd want to play and all that. Then again, I can't find any information about this motherboard whatsoever, so it's just about impossible to know what it has or supports. The best we can do is guess what it might support, based on guessing it most likely has a Intel 965G chipset.

That's because the OP has made an error. There is no 965GNT board, but there is a 945GNT:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D945GNT/

• 2 weeks later...

@Tripredacus

You are right, I did make a mistake. My current board is an Intel DG965RY.

I would attach the manual here, but it says I can upload only 500k and its 4.7 MB.

Here's the link:

DG965RY motherboard manual

If its possible to upgrade only the processor, without upgrading the motherboard, I would consider the Core2Duo or even a Quad. Any good, fast processor suggestions that will last me comfortably for the next 2 years or so? As mentioned, I would like to be able to play the newest games too, so that would be one consideration.

I think i3 or i5 would probably be too expensive, and then I would need to get a new motherboard for those too.

Then it's an easy enough answer. See the list of supported CPUs here.

Long story short, nothing beyond an old P4 is supported (besides a couple marginally faster Pentium D perhaps, which won't be significantly better at anything, especially gaming). Nothing good nor fast. You're in for a new motherboard.

Thank you for that list. I went through it and found this as well:

What do I make of the processors on this list...will they work with my mobo? Also, is there any Quad core processor that works with this mobo?

Well, it seems to be a BIOS problem, like Coffeefiend said the chipset isn't the problem but Intel brand motherboard are just no go when it comes to upgrading.

You are better off swapping that mobo, CPU and RAM, kick out the 2 80GB drives or leave them in for backup or so and use the 500GB as your system drive. That video card is still not much outdated and will do fine at high settings for most games, if not maxed out.

If you gave us a budget we could push you in the right direction ;).

Either ways, your main limitation for mostly anything seems to be the CPU. You *might* be able to drop an inexpensive dual core CPU on there. Even a $50 E3300 would be a huge improvement over a P4 3GHz (about 4x faster or so), but again I have no idea if your board would support anything newer than a P4. You will have to find out what it supports first, or buy something hoping it might work (bad idea), or buy a new motherboard and CPU.

Indeed, that board will not do any 45nm based CPUs, just the 65nm and up.

Unfortunately, as far as current product goes, no current Intel boards are going to work with 533MHz DDR2. Everything is either 667 or 800.

Yes you can use 533MHz DDR2 for CPUs with a 800 or 1066MT/s Bus ;).

Thank you for that list. I went through it and found this as well:

What do I make of the processors on this list...will they work with my mobo? Also, is there any Quad core processor that works with this mobo?

Well, it seems to be a BIOS problem, like Coffeefiend said the chipset isn't the problem but Intel brand motherboard are just no go when it comes to upgrading.

You are better off swapping that mobo, CPU and RAM, kick out the 2 80GB drives or leave them in for backup or so and use the 500GB as your system drive. That video card is still not much outdated and will do fine at high settings for most games, if not maxed out.

If you gave us a budget we could push you in the right direction ;).

Indeed, that board will not do any 45nm based CPUs, just the 65nm and up.

Unfortunately, as far as current product goes, no current Intel boards are going to work with 533MHz DDR2. Everything is either 667 or 800.

Yes you can use 533MHz DDR2 for CPUs with a 800 or 1066MT/s Bus ;).

What is the BIOS problem you refer to? Can I install an updated BIOS for it to support these processors?

Looks to be so. Check this list, it shows what CPUs this board supports and also what BIOS or hardware Rev is needed in order to use them:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965ry

The Hardware Rev is a number printed on a white sticker on the board, usually near the memory slots. You can use this tool if you can't find it:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012681.htm

In the picture on that page, It says "Board Version" and has a number that ends in -201. The -201 in that picture is the board rev or revision.

Looks to be so. Check this list, it shows what CPUs this board supports and also what BIOS or hardware Rev is needed in order to use them:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dg965ry

The Hardware Rev is a number printed on a white sticker on the board, usually near the memory slots. You can use this tool if you can't find it:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012681.htm

In the picture on that page, It says "Board Version" and has a number that ends in -201. The -201 in that picture is the board rev or revision.

I ran the tool, and these are my details:

Board Model: DG965RY

Board Version: AAD41691-301

BIOS Version: MQ96510J.86A.1687.2007.0510.0258

post-25120-127187440481_thumb.png

What is the BIOS problem you refer to? Can I install an updated BIOS for it to support these processors?

The BIOS will not accept any 45nm fabrication process based CPUs, I also presume that the VRM (Voltage regulator module) on that motherboard doesn't support the right voltage and power. In short, you need to find an outdated CPU to place on that motherboard, you are better off upgrading the motherboard too. A E3300 CPU (45 USD) with a simple 45USD motherboard will give you a great upgrade for 90USD.

OK, so we now know your BIOS version: 1687

and your rev: 301

Based on this guy (yes I look at these often)

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15056/eng/DG965RY_TechProdSpec.pdf

It makes no mention of any problem with board revs, which matches the processorfinder. This means the best CPU you can get is the E6700, 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZF

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S7

EDIT: I wanted to add that you do not need to do a BIOS update. The processorfinder does not show any BIOS requirements to be higher than 1687, so you should be good.

Thanks! Does that mean I can go ahead and get the C2D E6700? I wouldn't want to first buy this and then find out it doesn't work with my mobo and I cant give it back. Also, how much of a performance boost would I get over the P4 3.0 GHz?