2000 hotfix list

fdv

Hi all, because Tom and I stopped using 2000, the updates to the 2000 hotfix list here have stopped. We keep XP (courtesy of Muppet Hunter) and 2003 (by me) active of course, but we don't want to let the 2000 list go too long (the list stopped in January 2010).

Remember, End of Life is only a few months away. It would be nice to have someone finish this up until MS stops issuing updates. You can modify the existing layout however you wish (as you can see, my 2003 list looks radically different from 2000. Make it how you like).

Any takers, reply here and PM me so I am 100% sure to see your post. Thanks

FDV

Edited by fdv

Remember, End of Life is only a few months away. It would be nice to have someone finish this up until MS stops issuing updates. You can modify the existing layout however you wish (as you can see, my 2003 list looks radically different from 2000. Make it how you like).

Any takers, reply here and PM me so I am 100% sure to see your post. Thanks

FDV

Hi fdv.

Since there seems so far to be no takers, and since I keep my own updated list, I volunteer. It shouldn't be a problem for me to update the 2000 list at your site, for the duration.

If this is still useful to you, please let me know how I go about it.

We have fully transitioned to a new maintainer (bristols) and the 2000 hotfix list is back in operation.

At this point we have maintainers for 2000, XP, and 2003 and all are fully up to date.

http://www.vorck.com/windows/hotfixes_2000.html

http://www.vorck.com/windows/hotfixes_xp.html

http://www.vorck.com/windows/hotfixes_2003.html

Edited by fdv

Has anyone thought about building an updated SP5 once Windows 2000 reaches EOL?

Second question: if a critical vulnerability arises after EOL, has anyone thought about making or porting a hotfix for Windows 2000?

Edited by WildBill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The Windows 2000 Hotfixes page at FDV's website has been updated with April 2010's patches, and a few other changes (see under the "Last update description" heading near the top of the page). Thanks go to Parseus for his help with some of these. Any issues, then please post here (but please PM me to make sure I reply promptly).

Thanks,

bristols

Has anyone thought about building an updated SP5 once Windows 2000 reaches EOL?

Second question: if a critical vulnerability arises after EOL, has anyone thought about making or porting a hotfix for Windows 2000?

Two things.

One, you might be in luck in some sense; MS released a few critical fixes for NT4 after its EOL. It is possible however that since the NT and 2000 architectures were similar that it wasn't terribly much to ask of MS.

Two, the real problem -- there isn't a lot of similarity between XP and 2000 and so hotfixes for 2000 really cannot be ported. As an example, I don't know how true this is though, MS issued TCP protocol stack hotfixes for all OS's -except- Win2000. Someone will have to help me find the KB, but MS made a note that they essentially weren't going to go through the effort since the threat was deemed minor, not critical. But it does point to the problem that 2000 is different enough from XP that porting fixes would probably not be something that's doable. Unfortunately, because I agree it's a great embedded OS at this point.

Any chance I can help also?

If you want to make a win7 hotfix list and stay committed to it, sure.

As with others, you have complete free reign in making it however you like, then email it to me when the monthly patch cycle happens. You have leeway but try to be timely (within that week).

Right now there may be win7 lists elsewhere... but trust me, in no time at all, they'll simply die. It seems odd but my site is the only one I have EVER seen that tracks 2000, XP, and 2003 hotfixes and keeps them current. Every other list I have ever seen stops dead at some point.

If we do an SP5 we definitely should add some new capabilities. Daedalus2 can certainly be added, for instance. There's an open-source WEP/WPA supplicant that works on Win2k, but it needs a little work (it tends to hog the CPU occasionally). It also needs a much better configuration GUI, preferably a Control Panel app. I'm not sure what else is out there, but I'm sure there's a lot that can be done to improve the OS.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

The Windows 2000 Updates (for HFSLIP) page is now maintained by tomasz86 at his website. He'll link to it in due course. Please address queries regarding the page to him.

Thank you to everyone who has until now contributed to the upkeep of the update lists.

Hello everyone,

I want to thank all of the people who have maintained the Updates list so far. From now on it will be available at:

http://www.windows2000.tk/updates

I still need to integrate it better into the main part of my website but I thought that making the list available as soon as possible was more important than that. Everything should be finished in the next few days. You may experience some problems when viewing the list using IE7 or older so it's recommended to use a different browser.

Just a quick note of VERY BIG THANK YOU!! to bristols, and to tomasz86, for keeping 2k up and alive .... and to a long list of other contributors and to msfn board and to ...

Getting that 2k list so well organized, and up and running, involved a HUGE amount of creativity and work ... I'm sure it's greatly appreciated by many, and especially by this one little molecule ...

Edited by Molecule