1 server 2008 AD & 1 server DNS/DHCP

Kenmasters

Hello guys I need your help to create my LAN on VMware

I want to create a LAN with:

- 1 DC Server AD with Windows Server 2008

- 1 Network Server DNS/DHCP with Windows Server 2008

- Clients on XP

I don’t understand where I must begin. For example, I saw that AD role include DNS role but I don’t want the DNS role in my Domain Controller server. I want DNS role on my network server. Can I do that?

It’s possible to create this LAN on VMware without communicates/disturb my Home LAN?

I set 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 on my Active Directory Server and 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0 on my Network Server but What I can set for the Gateway? I need absolutely a router or I can do it without a router?

For example, I saw that AD role include DNS role but I don't want the DNS role in my Domain Controller server. I want DNS role on my network server. Can I do that?

DNS is required for Active Directory...yes. It doesn't HAVE to be on the DC, but it's recommended since it makes the environment more complex if you don't. I agree with MrJinje...make both servers DCs with DNS, then setup DHCP on one of them.

It's possible to create this LAN on VMware without communicates/disturb my Home LAN?

I set 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 on my Active Directory Server and 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0 on my Network Server but What I can set for the Gateway? I need absolutely a router or I can do it without a router?

Are you configuring this in a test environment but don't want it to talk to the rest of the network, but do want it to get to the Internet?

It's possible to create this LAN on VMware without communicates/disturb my Home LAN?

Inside of VMware you will need to edit your virtual network (VMware Menu > EDIT > Virtual Network Editor). From there you can control what access to your home lan each virtual network will have (or if it is isolated) Also you can control if DHCP is present on the virtual interface.

333zh.png

Instead of using NAT, or Bridged or host only, what you are looking for is a "custom" network. (use vmnet2 if available). Custom networks by default do not have local access to the network, they are isolated. (but you can change that later if you want)

58303556.png

Edited by MrJinje

...make both servers DCs with DNS, then setup DHCP on one of them.
Actually, is there any reason you'd recommend making both AD and DNS redundant, but not DHCP? Install DHCP on both and split the scope at least 80/20.

Thanks you guys. :)

I must install DNS and DHCP only on the Network Server and Active Directory only on the DC server.

Actually my virtual LAN is now Host-only in VMware with :

AD server : 192.168.2.2

Network server (DNS/DHCP): 192.168.2.3

I have disable firewalls and now I can ping each others. :)

Now I try to configure my DNS Server. I think it's not configured properly because when running DCPROMO Windows Wizard doesn't find my DNS server. :(

So when I try to connect my Network server in the Domain I got a DNS failure.

I have Set 127.0.0.1 in DNS address on Network server and 192.168.2.3 on AD server.

Edited by Kenmasters

...make both servers DCs with DNS, then setup DHCP on one of them.
Actually, is there any reason you'd recommend making both AD and DNS redundant, but not DHCP? Install DHCP on both and split the scope at least 80/20.

Well, now that you mention it there's no reason not to do that as well... smile.gif

Edited by nmX.Memnoch