WinSxS and DriverStore Driver Removal

Hey guys, I've been working trying to Lite my Windows 7 Installation for the past few days with a lot of trial and error (just like everyone else I'm sure) Anyhow, I've got it to where it'll pretty much install with everything I need but now I'm trying to get over the hump of removing Printer, Camera and Modem drivers in WinSxS and DriverStoreFileRepository from a mounted image. But I haven't exactly found how nor what exactly I'm supposed to delete. I'm guessing that since I'm trying to get it off the image itself I should be dealing with the .Wim file in dism. Any clues about how to go about doing this? Or is a better method to find all dupe files in WinSxS and delete them?

Hey guys, I've been working trying to Lite my Windows 7 Installation for the past few days with a lot of trial and error (just like everyone else I'm sure) Anyhow, I've got it to where it'll pretty much install with everything I need but now I'm trying to get over the hump of removing Printer, Camera and Modem drivers in WinSxS and DriverStoreFileRepository from a mounted image. But I haven't exactly found how nor what exactly I'm supposed to delete. I'm guessing that since I'm trying to get it off the image itself I should be dealing with the .Wim file in dism. Any clues about how to go about doing this? Or is a better method to find all dupe files in WinSxS and delete them?

You have to delete files both in file respiratory and Winsxs to recover space. First u need to take ownership of both file respiratory and winsxs folder ownership. Then delete prn for printers,wia for Camera and mdm for modem related entries from both folders.In winsxs it is prefixed with x86 for ex x86prn.

You have to delete files both in file respiratory and Winsxs to recover space. First u need to take ownership of both file respiratory and winsxs folder ownership. Then delete prn for printers,wia for Camera and mdm for modem related entries from both folders.In winsxs it is prefixed with x86 for ex x86prn.

Very good, I found most of the stuff I was looking for. But I've tried taking ownership, and it supposedly says it is successful yet still gives me the "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder" and thus can't delete anything.

Who is this trustedinstaller? And how do I kill him? :D

edit: I first did the take owner ship through a context menu registry hack, I did it through Command Prompt this time and now it says that "You require permission from (my pc's name that just took ownership) to make changes to this folder. This seems like a problem with me perhaps trying to edit within VMWare perhaps? Is it impossible for the virtual machine to take ownership?

Edited by jackinv

You will need to use the Win6x registry tweak. Basically download this. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=27216

Extract it to a folder then change the .exe's name to tweak.exe .

Load a cmd window from the location of the files you extracted by holding shift and right clicking the window and it should be in the context menu.

When the cmd is open type in "tweak.exe /m" without the quotes then it will ask for the location of the MOUNTED wim.

You will need to use the Win6x registry tweak. Basically download this. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=27216

Extract it to a folder then change the .exe's name to tweak.exe .

Load a cmd window from the location of the files you extracted by holding shift and right clicking the window and it should be in the context menu.

When the cmd is open type in "tweak.exe /m" without the quotes then it will ask for the location of the MOUNTED wim.

I'll try that out. I got sidetracked for a moment. I decided I couldn't rip Win7 down enough so decided to install XP Tablet Edition for my new Tablet PC and then realized either due to XP itself or some driver issue it's TERRIBLE compared to Windows 7 in regards to pressure sensitivity accuracy. So now I'm back to square one.

Anyhow another problem. I know how to go about adding and removing packages in dism. At least the basic packages. But how to I end up and remove packages like Hyper V, Business Scanning etc?