Need to recover missing folder with all my files

ideas

hi, guys i am using windows 7 and i was installing an application, then i got a blue screen, after rebooting i notice my folder with all my file on the desktop was not there anymore, i tried a few recovery software that's only finding deleted stuffs but still cant find that folder nor my files that was in there, your help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Edited by ideas

Maybe the folder is still there, only it's reference (the shortlinks) got messed up?

If you open Windows Explorer (WIN-btn + E) and navigate to "C:\Users\Documents" is

it still there?

Is the desktop-item selected in "Start button"->"Control Panel"-"Appearance and

Personalization"-"Personalization"-"Change desktop icons"?

I don't use Windows 7 myself, just found these tips using Google.

Greetz,

Peter.

What application did you install? It might have created a log file in the %temp% folder with details about the changes it made to the system. Also it's suspicious to get a BSoD from a program, usually requires a bad kernel driver, or faulty hardware.

The MRU ("Most Recently Used" files) entries in the registry is just a list

with files that... ehm... has been used recently; they aren't the actual files

themselves. :ph34r:

I'm not too familiar with the way Windows 7 organizes files, but if the files

are not where are supposed to be, this can mean a couple of things:

• The files have been deleted; though in that case they *should* show up in
    an undelete utility
  • The files are still there, but references to them (shortlinks) are messed up
  • The files are still there, but aren't visible anymore, because of some virus
    that tries to hide certain folders (and/or files) in Explorer.
    I had one of these nasty viruses in the past and if I recall correctly, I was
    able to show "Hidden" folders using the command-prompt, but not in Explorer.

Greetz,

Peter.

tried recuva, diskgetor, File Rescue Plus, ParetoLogic Data Recovery Pro, Zero Assumption Recovery, Undelet, PC inspector file recovery, R-Studio, Smart Data, Emergency Recover, FileRecovery Angel, GetDataBack, Recover my Files and Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery.

most of which i tried from a live cd.

do you think i may stand a better chance of formatting then try to recover my files?

Edited by ideas

Hmm. By default Previous Versions is enabled on the C partition, and would have made backups daily, including the desktop. Open %userprofile% and right-click Desktop choose Properties, go to the Previous Versions tab, what do you see? Don't restore, but instead double-click on the folders or choose Open.

Have you tried searching for the files?

• 3 weeks later...