Network or Server

I'm not sure if I want my computer ran as a Network so many other computers can connect, or ran as a Server, for the same reasons.

Me personally, I thought they were the same but I was wrong. Now what confuses me, I'm not sure the best way to go. What I mean is

you have Active Directory, DHCP, VPN, DNS, etc.... Now my Network/Server will have Windows 2000 pro on it as the OS.

Other computers will not have access to the machine but will have access to the external devices such as the Printer, DVD-ROM, HDD.

I will be the only with privileges and would like to connect only through VPN. Not sure how the other computer will connect.

VPN only allow one connection at a time, and thats cool since I will be the only one with privileges.

Can somebody help me out?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

you have Active Directory, DHCP, VPN, DNS, etc.... Now my Network/Server will have Windows 2000 pro on it as the OS.

You'd need win2000 server not pro for most of that.

What I means is, I don't want to use them all. I just want to use the best network/server scheme.

I'm sure there's another way instead of buying a win 2000 server disc. I'm not giving M$ no more of my hard earned

so they can kill support for it soon. I'm trying to figure out of the above what type of server/network should I used

along side with vpn. VPN will be mandatory. Thanks

Windows 2000 Professional does not include RRAS, a component mandatory for VPN connections, only the server OS's do.

You are right, but know we are past that beacuse M$ adminpak.msi allows me to use RRAS and other tools such as

FeCERTConsole Certification Authority

FeClusterConsole Cluster Administrator

FeCMAKConsole Connection Manager Administration Kit

FeDHCPConsole DHCP

FeDFSConsole Distributed File System

FeDNSConsole DNS

FeIASConsole Internet Authentication Service

FeIISConsole Internet Services Manager

FeACSConsole QoS Admission Control

FeRSConsole Remote Storage

FeRRASConsole Routing and Remote Access

FeTAPIConsole Telephony

FeTSClientConsole Terminal Services Client

FeTSMgrConsole Terminal Services Tools

FeWINSConsole WINS

FeADTools Active Directory Tools

All I want to do is allow family and friends to connect to my computer and share my files

Now that I have the necessary tools that I need which is the best one to use and secure

for my network/server

DNS, DHCP, VPN, TCP/IP,Active Directory etc......

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

As described in this kb, the adminpack only installs the administration tools, NOT the services! I still stand by my previous post. The administration tools will only allow you to remotely control the respective services on a DEDICATED server OS, not on the local machine running a workstation OS newwink.gif

As described in this kb, the adminpack only installs the administration tools, NOT the services! I still stand by my previous post. The administration tools will only allow you to remotely control the respective services on a DEDICATED server OS, not on the local machine running a workstation OS newwink.gif

Okay, Okay! I have 2000 Pro, I'm allowed 10 connections to my machine.

What method do I use to connect 10 other machines to my computer. Thanks a lot nitropuppy. I'm really

new to the NT world.

After some digging I managed to find these kb's: 1, 2, 3 for you to read. Apparently, my memory got a bit rusty, you are allowed up to 3 connections on a 200 pro machine...

Ok but when I run (Net Config Server)or something It tells me I have 10 user max logon.

I'm starting not to like NT systems or maybe I just need to learn more about them.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to test a client/server environment, know that you can download Server 2008 R2 on a trial basis - that would be my suggestion. Hacking your OS to run as a server is 1. going to be difficult (not totally impossible, but difficult); 2. violate the EULA for use of the client OS; 3. can be done easily with downloadable trial of 2008 R2, so why work so hard to do it the hard way? ;)

If you really want to test a client/server environment, know that you can download Server 2008 R2 on a trial basis - that would be my suggestion. Hacking your OS to run as a server is 1. going to be difficult (not totally impossible, but difficult); 2. violate the EULA for use of the client OS; 3. can be done easily with downloadable trial of 2008 R2, so why work so hard to do it the hard way? ;)

What about if i just get a router and add mac addresses for people to connect. I then should have as many as I

want right?

What about if i just get a router and add mac addresses for people to connect. I then should have as many as I want right?

:blink: That didn't make any sense at all.

Well you should help it make sense.

If you know the solution to the problem then you post it instead of sucking up the bandwidth.

All I want to do is connect multiple computers to my system to share files. I thought a router was a solution but I guess not.

All I want to do is allow family and friends to connect to my computer and share my files

In my opinion, you're going about this all wrong. All you need is an FTP server to share files. Anything else is overkill. What's more, you can install an FTP server on any OS, for FREE (Filezilla works very well).

You just need to figure out how to forward the necessary ports through your router/firewall.