Missing IESHIMS.DLL & WER.DLL

brutus1234

Here you have my latest hfslip.log.

Going to slipstream a lot...

Edit:

I always remove SOURCESS folder in order to re-start the whole process. Is there a way to (save some time) / (skip some part) / (keep some old file)?

HFSLIP.LOG.zip

Edited by brutus1234

Have you tried putting one file back at a time and test out which one causes the prob?

Hey, wait a little, playing this game is not so fast! :P

After selecting the next hotfix to integrate I have to:

- slipstream (this takes half a hour)

- create a VM (a couple of minutes)

- install windows (more than half a hour)

- perform some test

Waiting in most of the time...

Here some results:

WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ITA.exe

wmp9 runs flawlessly

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ITA.exe

wmp9 run flawlessly

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-ITA.exe

!!!!!!!!!!

Error during install: in the very first stage (text only) setup complains IEFRAME.DLL is missing. Anyway it goes on when I select "ignore". Install completes, wmp9 runs flawlessly BUT ie8 DOESN'T start at all!!! Furthermore, the default theme is "windows classic", not "Luna". "Luna" is present and I can select it but it's not selected as default theme.

Side note: since when I removed "Q282784_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe", qfecheck.exe is not available anymore. Since it's not related to wmp business, I will include it again from now on.

edit:

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB968816-x86-ITA.exe

wmp9 is working again, ie8 starts again, installation shows no errors.

Edited by brutus1234

I know the pain it is with troubleshooting. I've been doing it for the past 5 years and cooked a few hard drives while doing so. Time is limited for me, and I can't troubleshoot. I've done very limited testing with the prob you have. I'm pretty sure that the correct part of the wm9 hotfixes are indeed placed into the sourcess folder. The QFE checker you mention isn't needed for hfslip. But if you want to have a few worthless binaries on your machine, then I suppose you can include it. Results could be bad though. I wouldn't recommend using it because it's not needed at all, besides, it's an sp1 thing.

The KB954155 hotfix has only one DLL in it for wm9. You can extract it to see what I mean. If you can't extract it manually, then you got a bad download. Bad downloads happen. In fact most of the WM9 hotfixes you mention are just one or two dlls and that's it. They're codec fixes.

Finishing the big work...

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ITA.exe

All went ok, wmp9 is running.

wmfdist95.exe

Same result, everything was fine.

Bad downloads happen.

Maybe this was the case. I re-downloaded the file, then slipstreamed again (alone) and everything worked, wmp9 and ie8, with no errors during setup.

Conclusion: each hotfix added alone doesn't cause system corruption (and now I'm sure they're NOT corrupted), so the next step is to slipstream the whole thing again using them all together.

I want to tell you about my last trial.

I slipstreamed everything but wmfdist95.exe, the new system appeared working into the VM, wmp9 running, ie8 running and much happiness was in the air.

Viewing some embedded content was the next challenge. Well, the embedded videos did not appear but a warning popped up about an ActiveX control needed to be run in order to the whole page to work: the component was a "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim" which is related (thank Google) to KB891772. I did run the needed control and the embedded contents worked.

But what was I missing without wmfdist95.exe? I installed the exe and nothing changed: I mean, everything still worked as before.

New step. I installed again this new XP (wmp9 worked, ie8 worked), then installed wmfdist95.exe, just to be sure nothing was missing on this system. Then, surfed to some embedded content again. Again, I had to run the activeX control about "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim" and the embedded content was enabled.

Now, about wmfdist95.exe I will investigate what I miss without installing it.

Note: about the needed ActiveX control, the warning says it is already on my system (it was installed by some other package), it just need to be run in order to provide its functionality. Maybe there is a way to run it during system installation to avoid the pop-up to appear?

So to be clear, the ONLY difference between your post #22 and post #24 is:

1) in #22 you let HFSLIP slipstream wmfdist95.exe and wmp9 didn't work,

2) in #24 trial 1 you didn't install wmfdist95.exe and wmp9 worked (after running the ActiveX), and

3) in #24 trial 2 you added wmfdist95,exe post install and wmp9 worked (after running the ActiveX).

ABSOLUTELY NO other differences? Everything else works perfectly? I'm not sure what the implications are of having wmfdist95.exe or not, but maybe this will trigger recognition by someone more knowledgeable than me. I've read that it might enable recording in Windows Media Audio format. There was also an exchange between Tomcat76 and tommyp here - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/63802-winxp-wmcsetupexe-and-wmfdist95exe/ about different versions of wmfdist95.exe being installed for a particular installation Tomcat76 was working on (back in 2005), so maybe the functionality of wmfdist95.exe gets added through another Add-On or Hotfix whether you specifically include wmfdist95.exe or not? Keep us updated with your progress.

Cheers and Regards

Sorry, no good news.

Latest trial using all the updates together brought the same old story: wmp9 doesn't run, it says it's not properly installed.

What now?

Hi brutus1234,

I had the same problem some time ago, and I discovered it was caused by "WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ITA.exe".

Maybe HFSLIP 1.7.9. & 1.7.10. beta x do not correctly handle this update in respect of WMP9: at the end of the slipstreaming process (XP PRO SP3 "clean", IE6, WMP9, security updates only), I noticed that in SOURCESS\i386 folder, the files WMP.DLL and WMPDXM.DLL (contained in KB973540) are updated to version 10, not 9.

So, after installation, they are not recognized as components of WMP9, which refuses to start.

Problem solved putting KB973540 in \HFSVCPACK_SW1 (or, alternatively, to recover the existing installation, by extracting files for v. 9 and overwriting existing ones in \SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE and \SYSTEM32 folders of the installed XP).

:hello: Ciao

Lions

Now, about wmfdist95.exe I will investigate what I miss without installing it.

The following files are installed by wmfdist95.exe:

DRMUPGDS.EXE

UWDF.EXE

WDFMGR.EXE

WDFAPI.DLL

WMDRMDEV.DLL

WMDRMNET.DLL

WMVADVD.DLL

WMVADVE.DLL

WPD_CI.DLL

WPDCONNS.DLL

WPDMTP.DLL

WPDMTPDR.DLL

WPDMTPUS.DLL

WPDSP.DLL

WPDTRACE.DLL

Further, I have:

MSOOBCI.DLL into "{programs folder}\Windows Media Player"

and

WPDUSB.SYS into "{windows folder}\system32\drivers"

The installer contains indeed many other files but these appear to be already installed in updated versions by other packages and so they are not replaced.

I think I can live without these files, unless someone knows they provide very VERY important features.

The intent of the wmfdist was to slipstream WM codecs. I was using that method for a number of years ago to SS codecs but sometime around 3 years back I stopped using that package. Not sure why though. Whatever the case is, it's not necessary.