KB978207, Why?

bynkook

I found the Mimo's advice that extract the shdocvw.dll from KB978207 and put it in the REPLACE/i386.

Why we have to do this? I can see that KB978207 is already in the /HF folder since Jan.2010.

Go here, and read for about a page. It involves a bug with the install of IE8 that MS has known about. The version of shdocvw.dll is not correctly installed, which causes problems - "When Organize Favorites is selected from the Menu Bar (Favorites > Organize Favorites) in any explorer window (except IE), I just get a blank window. This does not happen when IE8 is installed manually using the installer after XP is installed." In addition to Mim0's suggested fix, you'll also find an alternate fix by tommyp. You'll also notice that Mim0 suggests using a particular version of KB978207.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

In addition to Mim0's suggested fix, you'll also find an alternate fix by tommyp.

This still an open point for the XP-list (and the file-checker). I will add tommy's alternate solution also.

In short: In the IE8-version of KB978207 the current (fixed) shdocvw.dll is not included, only in the IE6-version of KB978207. That's the reason for using both versions when slipstreaming IE8. :)

• 2 weeks later...