System Hangs during Unattended Install

Re515tance

I am having a problem with the system hanging up @ (registering Compponents) part of Windows XP SP3 install. I have created a good working copy of WinXP SP3 + Critical updates. I tested that installation 3 times in VirtualBox without any problems. The problem started when I added the last 3 add-ons (see Last Session.ini), which are Adobe Reader, Flash + Shockwave Combo Add-on, and Java. All are the lastest ones I downloaded here. When it starts to install these add-ons I can actually see Adobe Reader install because it ask me to install Google thingy, which I uncheck and continue, then I see Shockwave finish its install. Then after that it just hangs up at 13 minutes left - I let it goes for several hours before shutting it down. What am I missing, I don't have much more hair to pull out. Ha Ha

One other question is there a way to stop the google thingy coming up on the AcroRead install?

Also on a side note, I mainly use nLite on a WinXP Pro machine at work. However I tried using it with my Windows 7 Ultimate, creating a WinXP setup and I ran into all kinds of problems (unable to copy files, files inaccessable, etc.). Is this normal? And would it work if I used the WinXP snap-in for Win7 to run nLite.

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by Re515tance

Re515tance, thanks for the Last Session. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once. I cannot answer your questions about the AddOns. I suggest you go to the thread that provided the AddOn and ask him/her. I install Adobe Reader via the GUIRunOnce exit from the Unattended Task and it ask me no questions and I get no tool bars. I'm using the switches "/sPB /rs /msiEULA_ACCEPT=YES" as per Kurt_Aust. There are several problems with running nLite under W7 (and Vista) to create an ISO for XP. Usually when you add an SP the key will not be accepted but I don't think we have heard of all your problems. Again, are you running nLite more than once? You should be able to run nLite under the virtual system in W7 Professional and Ultimate. Please remember to install .Net Franmework. Enjoy, John.

Re515tance, thanks for the Last Session. Have you run nLite more than once against the same source? You should always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once. I cannot answer your questions about the AddOns. I suggest you go to the thread that provided the AddOn and ask him/her. I install Adobe Reader via the GUIRunOnce exit from the Unattended Task and it ask me no questions and I get no tool bars. I'm using the switches "/sPB /rs /msiEULA_ACCEPT=YES" as per Kurt_Aust. There are several problems with running nLite under W7 (and Vista) to create an ISO for XP. Usually when you add an SP the key will not be accepted but I don't think we have heard of all your problems. Again, are you running nLite more than once? You should be able to run nLite under the virtual system in W7 Professional and Ultimate. Please remember to install .Net Franmework. Enjoy, John.

Hmm, please excuse me for asking...So each time I need to create a new Image, I should recreate everything from scratch? So why is there the ability to load up a previous WinXP-SP3 image in the beginning, before loading any of the last session stuff and add-ons? And should I be going in and deleting out the old images from the folder before I redo them?

Edited by Re515tance

Hmm, please excuse me for asking...So each time I need to create a new Image, I should recreate everything from scratch? So why is there the ability to load up a previous WinXP-SP3 image in the beginning, before loading any of the last session stuff and add-ons?

Re515tance, I always do. I use a saved Last Session, but start with a fresh copy of my CD files/folders. As with many things you can get away with some changes to an existing nLite modified source, I cannot tell what you can and cannot do. Perhaps nuhi (author/owner) can, but he has not been seen here for quite some time. What do you mean by "WinXP-SP3 image"? Of course you can start with a CD that has SP3 integrated. And it also true that you can integrate SP3 and save that and go from there. I don't even do that since integrating SP2 (XP x64 - no SP3) goes so fast. Enjoy, John.

Hmm, please excuse me for asking...So each time I need to create a new Image, I should recreate everything from scratch? So why is there the ability to load up a previous WinXP-SP3 image in the beginning, before loading any of the last session stuff and add-ons?

Re515tance, I always do. I use a saved Last Session, but start with a fresh copy of my CD files/folders. As with many things you can get away with some changes to an existing nLite modified source, I cannot tell what you can and cannot do. Perhaps nuhi (author/owner) can, but he has not been seen here for quite some time. What do you mean by "WinXP-SP3 image"? Of course you can start with a CD that has SP3 integrated. And it also true that you can integrate SP3 and save that and go from there. I don't even do that since integrating SP2 (XP x64 - no SP3) goes so fast. Enjoy, John.

I mean the ability to re-use the first WinXP disc copy that I created in nlite.

I mean the ability to re-use the first WinXP disc copy that I created in nlite.

I do reuse this folder but I have written a small batch fie that deletes files/folders and gets a fresh copy from a copy of my CD that I keep on my HDD. The location of the original folder is kept in the nlite.ini file in the nLite folder of Program Files. Alter all of this talk, I suggest you rerun your build with a fresh copy and see if your problems are gone. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

So why is there the ability to load up a previous WinXP-SP3 image in the beginning, before loading any of the last session stuff and add-ons?

Because there is such thing as an original Windows XP SP3 (but nLite won't check if it is an original or not) and also because for SOME operations like adding a driver or some updates in SOME cases you can use a previously nLited source. But... to avoid running into the troubles you have (and that's why you posted here first), you should always start from an original set of files. What you can also do is apply ONLY SP3 (via nLite or with its /integrate switch) to your original set of files and use it as an original SP3 for your next builds.