MDT 2010

Under Boot Images you need to Create Capture Boot Image and then choose the Capture image after sysprep.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320(WS.10).aspx

Scroll down to the section entitled "To create a capture image" for instructions.

Doing so will add another option to the PXE list of choices. Be sure to give a descriptive name so you know which option is your "capture" image.

Under Boot Images you need to Create Capture Boot Image and then choose the Capture image after sysprep.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320(WS.10).aspx

Scroll down to the section entitled "To create a capture image" for instructions.

Doing so will add another option to the PXE list of choices. Be sure to give a descriptive name so you know which option is your "capture" image.

Yes, but that is in WDS?

I have done that before, MDT also have an capture option but that is maybe another thing?

Anyone using MDT 2010 + WDS?

I'm trying to just use the capture process in MDT but it seems that I must do a install with that function?

Yes. You have to create a task sequence for Windows and applications installation first. Than you run this task sequence and for the capturing process the computer must not be joined to a domain. After the installation the computer should be captured, maybe you have to reboot manually to start the capture process.

After this you'll find the captured image in the "captures" folder and you could import this image as a new operating system. Now you can create a new task sequence for deploying this captured image.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to just use the capture process in MDT but it seems that I must do a install with that function?

Yes. You have to create a task sequence for Windows and applications installation first. Than you run this task sequence and for the capturing process the computer must not be joined to a domain. After the installation the computer should be captured, maybe you have to reboot manually to start the capture process.

After this you'll find the captured image in the "captures" folder and you could import this image as a new operating system. Now you can create a new task sequence for deploying this captured image.

You shouldnt have to restart manually.

My method of doing all of this.

1. Import Win7 into MDT using the source files

2. Create standard TS to deploy Win7 to a machine and deploy Win7 to the machine

3. Create a Capture TS

4. On the machine with win7 create a mapped drive to the location that your deployment share is.

5. Open the mapped drive and go into the Scripts folder and open up litetouch.vbs. This will open up an interface much like the WinPE interface for MDT.

6. Go through the steps and select your Capture TS, finish the rest of the steps and it will run the capture TS and it SHOULD restart your machine automatically and boot to WinPE and capture the wim.

Edited by kevschu

If you just want to Sysprep and Capture an image that you have built manually and tweaked, you have to have the machine that you built up and running. Then map to the deployment share in MDT. There is a scripts folder that has a file called LiteTouch.vbs. If you run this file, it will bring up the same GUI as when you boot from the PE media and allow you to run task sequences from the deployment share. Assuming that you have already set up a task sequence for Sysprep and Capture, just run the sequence and sysprep should run, reboot the machine back into the PE environment and capture the image. After the capture, the image should appear as a WIM in the Captures folder in the deployment share.

I didn't see this in any MDT documentation. The process is rather time consuming because I have no yet discovered how to tweak the NIC driver to force a 1000/Full connection.

Hope this helps

L

If you just want to Sysprep and Capture an image that you have built manually and tweaked, you have to have the machine that you built up and running. Then map to the deployment share in MDT. There is a scripts folder that has a file called LiteTouch.vbs. If you run this file, it will bring up the same GUI as when you boot from the PE media and allow you to run task sequences from the deployment share. Assuming that you have already set up a task sequence for Sysprep and Capture, just run the sequence and sysprep should run, reboot the machine back into the PE environment and capture the image. After the capture, the image should appear as a WIM in the Captures folder in the deployment share.

I didn't see this in any MDT documentation. The process is rather time consuming because I have no yet discovered how to tweak the NIC driver to force a 1000/Full connection.

Hope this helps

L

Hope this helps

L

• 4 weeks later...

You shouldnt have to restart manually.

My method of doing all of this.

1. Import Win7 into MDT using the source files

2. Create standard TS to deploy Win7 to a machine and deploy Win7 to the machine

3. Create a Capture TS

4. On the machine with win7 create a mapped drive to the location that your deployment share is.

5. Open the mapped drive and go into the Scripts folder and open up litetouch.vbs. This will open up an interface much like the WinPE interface for MDT.

6. Go through the steps and select your Capture TS, finish the rest of the steps and it will run the capture TS and it SHOULD restart your machine automatically and boot to WinPE and capture the wim.

This is the method I use for both Windows XP and Windows 7 captures. We don't capture in WDS anymore and have even imported all of our old WDS images into MDT in the event that we would need them. Now we have WDS forward right on to MDT when PXE-booting. Once there our techs choose either the current unified image or one of the legacy WDS images. If you want WDS to forward to MDT simply disable all boot images except for the MDT one.