(once again): How to include .NET 3.5 in nLite?

DadCat

I've been searching for the past 2+ hours, and still haven't found anything that clearly answers the (often-asked) question: How to include .NET 3.5 in nLite?

I'm just getting started with nLite, but I've gone through all the tutorials I can find (which are somewhat simplistic). I now understand how to incorporate service packs, define users, customize settings, etc.

But how/where do I include .NET 3.5 (along with SP1)? Is .NET 3.5 considered to be an "addon" or a "silent install" or what??? Some posts refer to it as an "addon", but none of the sites advertising nLite addons mention .NET.

Frequently when this question is asked, the answer is a link to a forum/site that's equally incomprehensible. For example, one of the often-referenced posts (on www.ryanvm.net) says: "No more standalone switchless. Unpack and use internal switchless. Use RVMI or Nlite to apply... "

OK... exactly HOW do I "use Nlite to apply"? And WHAT is it that I'm applying? And what is "internal switchless" ???

Thanks for any help clearing my confusion...

DadCat

If you can't find it, why not make it on your own? Use the .NET Maker to put .NET 3.5 SP1 and all its updates into one add-on and/or switchless installer (according to your preference). It's not as complicated as it seems.

Edit: If you're only installing .NET 3.5, this .ini file (settings) will do it for you. It is set to create an add-on which you can directly add to nLite as shown here http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html in pic #6.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

You didn`t SEARCH for yourself? Don`t Mind, I did:

An ADDON can be be included using "nLite", quite simple.

Yes (as I said in my post), I DID "search for myself". And I had already found the link you provided, and many others.

The problem is that I didn't understand what I was reading, because (again, as I already said) I don't understand the difference between an "add-on", a "switchless installer" and a "silent installer"... or at least I don't understand them in the context of nLite.

... and still don't.

DC

Add-ons are for use with nLite.

Silent installers are installed silently with a switch (e.g. /s), e.g. from RunOnce(Ex).

Switchless installers are double-clicked (or called from RunOnce/RunOnceEx) and install silently. The silent switch is embedded within.

Hope it helps

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Hi DadCat,

I have precisely the same problem - including following links to sites that seem to offer no explanation whatsover.

All I want to do is include DotNet 3.5 (with the latest updates) in my WinXP install ISO (as I think you do). Just the exact same thing that you'd get if you added it via MS Update - no special options or anything.

If you do work it out from all the replies, please could you post back here with instructions that I can follow?

I'll do the same if I get there first.

Thanks,

Alan.

Hi Sp0iLedBrAt,

Alan3285, look at my post #2 and this link It makes one add-on/switchless installer of your desired .NET Framework version with all the updates integrated.

First, thank you for your posts (both #2 and the one I am replying to).

I appreciate that the problem is that I don't fully understand all this, so I appreciate your trying to help me!

I had a look at that page (again), but I'm just not sure what I need to do :-(

Starting in the middle, from the 'Instructions', I have put my questions (Qn) inline - it is the packets issue that I am most confused about:

I1) Download and extract to the work folder, the packet: 20100118_SNMsynth.zip (104.76K)

Q1) What is the 'work folder'? This seems to imply that the file must be placed in a specific place rather than just to any folder I might choose, but it doesn't say where it needs to be? Therefore, I am working on the assumption it is just ambiguous language in the post, and they don't mean 'the work folder', they mean 'any folder'? Will this cause problems later?

I2) Download 7-zip stand alone (if the link doesn't work retry until it works) and extract only the file 7za.exe to the work folder.

I3) Download the packets you need to build your installer(s)/add-on(s), from supported file list above to the work folder.

Q3) This is where I really get lost. How do I know which packets I need? I just want to get exactly what I would get if I ran all the DotNet updates from MS Update. The poster said I don't need all of them, but perhaps my best bet is to download all of them? If I do that, then run MS Update(after rebooting) will I then see no updates (for any DotNet stuff) in MS Update? If so, then that is what I want. On the other hand, is there some downside to using all of them?

I4) Open _SNMsynth.ini and configure the building process to your liking, read the notes inside carefully.

I5) Run _SNMsynth.cmd.

If you are able to help with (Q1) and (Q3) then I would be most grateful.

The biggest issue though is - nothing seems to happen!

I do all of the above, run the cmd file, but nothing appears. I get an OUT1 folder, but it just contains a file called 'PROCESSDATA.TXT'. There is also an empty TMP folder.

I am totally confused :wacko:

Thanks,

Alan.

Edited by Alan3285

Q1) What is the 'work folder'?

Any new and empty folder of your choice.

Q3) How do I know which packets I need?

Download .NET 3.5 SP1 (whole package, around 230MB) and the family update and put them in the same folder as Silent .NET Maker. The Maker has a control and will report if there are updates you are missing, so you can download them, put them in the folder and continue.

I4) Open _SNMsynth.ini and configure the building process to your liking, read the notes inside carefully.

Use the one I attached in post #2 (made only for .NET 3.5 SP1)

The biggest issue though is - nothing seems to happen! <------ probably you haven't configured _SNMsynth.ini

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

Hi Sp0iLedBrAt,

probably you haven't configured _SNMsynth.ini

Quite probably!

So, I downloaded the one you posted above (#2) and put that in my 'work folder', along with the other files, and re-ran the cmd file, but still nothing happens (that I can see).

I also tried running the cmd file from a DOS prompt, and it gave the following 'error':

\DoTNet was unexpected at this time.

If it helps, this is a complete file listing from the work folder:

7za.exe

7zSD.sfx

dotnetfx.exe

dotnetfx35.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB953297-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB971108-X86.exe

NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe

NDP20SP2-KB971111-x86.exe

NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

NDP20SP2-KB976569-x86.exe

NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe

NDP30SP2-KB976570-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB963707-x86.exe

NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

_20SP#LNGbr_KB829019FIX.7z

_20SP#_SLIMMING.7z

_20SP2_KB974417FIX.7z

_30SP#LNG_KB928416FIX.7z

_30SP2_REMFONTCACHEFIX.7z

_35SP#_FFXBAPSWITCH.7z

_35SP#_SLIMMING.7z

_35SP1_KB963707FIX_FFCLICKONCESWITCH.7z

_KB951847FIX.7z

_REM_MSI_BLOCKING.7z

_SNMsynth.cmd

_SNMsynth.ini

All the files are as downloaded, with the ini file being yours from post #2 above.

Thanks again for staying with me!

Alan.

Of course it didn't work, the .ini file was made for .NET 3.5 SP1 ONLY, and you included just about everything inside :whistle:

Here's another one for you to try; open it, look at it and compare with the other. You'll understand what it's all about ;)

Hi Sp0iLedBrAt,

Of course it didn't work, the .ini file was made for .NET 3.5 SP1 ONLY, and you included just about everything inside :whistle:

Here's another one for you to try; open it, look at it and compare with the other. You'll understand what it's all about ;)

Okay - I compared the two, and you changed all the switches at the top from 'NO' to 'YES':

PROCESSDNF11=YES

PROCESSDNF20=YES

PROCESSDNF3520=YES

PROCESSDNF3530=YES

PROCESSDNF3535=YES

Previously only the last one was 'YES', so that means we are including all the DotNet installs?

I noticed you also set the following near the bottom:

MERGEFXS=YES

I guess that means to combine it all into a single file?

That all makes sense, but I am still getting the exact same result - no file (that I can see - I assume it would appear in the work folder?) and if I run the CMD file from DOS, I still get the error:

\DoTNet was unexpected at this time.

I feel like an id*** and this should be so much easier.... :unsure:

Thanks,

Alan.

Hi Sp0iLedBrAt,

If you want to integrate everything in one and it's not working, download it here:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8236&highlight=net

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8183&highlight=net

They were made with the same tool.

Thanks for that - I'll download one of those (the second one looks more up to date?)

I am interested as to what the issue is here though.

Would your ini (from #2 above) work with just the DotNet 3 installer and updates:

dotnetfx35.exe

NDP30SP2-KB958483-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

NDP30SP2-KB976570-x86.exe

NDP35SP1-KB963707-x86.exe

If so, I'll try that smaller subset and see if it works, and if so, work my way towards the full set as it would be interesting to see where it fails.

Thanks,

Alan.