Install Win 9x from hard drive

fredrikrr

I have an old laptop (200 Mhz cpu).

The CD-drive is broken, and I need to install windows on it.

The floppy works.

So does anyone now how to do this?

If i manage to put the laptop 2.5" hard drive in my desktop computer with some kind of 2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adaptor,

can i then copy the Win 9x setup files to the laptop 2.5" hdd and then install windows on the laptop?

post-284946-126912513182_thumb.jpg

Sure. You don't even need to actually remove the HDD from inside the laptop, in case you manage to disconnect it from the laptop and have space enough to insert the PATA/SATA --> USB connector in it. Then just copy the Win9x folder from the Windows CD to your laptop HDD, reconnect it to the laptop and you're all set.

Sure. You don't even need to actually remove the HDD from inside the laptop, in case you manage to disconnect it from the laptop and have space enough to insert the PATA/SATA --> USB connector in it. Then just copy the Win9x folder from the Windows CD to your laptop HDD, reconnect it to the laptop and you're all set.

Sounds great!

So the computer will be able to boot from the HDD if i just copy the Win9x folder?

No need to create a boot sector or similar?

So the computer will be able to boot from the HDD if i just copy the Win9x folder? No need to create a boot sector or similar?

If your computer doesn't boot, boot from a DOS 6 or DOS 7 floppy, then run Setup.exe in the Win9x folder. If you computer can boot without a boot floppy, it already contains an operating system.

So the computer will be able to boot from the HDD if i just copy the Win9x folder?

No need to create a boot sector or similar?

:blink: You misunderstood me. I meant you'd be all set to actually install Win9x.

Of course you'd have to creat at least one active partition, format and sys the disk before anything.

But how did you intend to copy a folder onto an unpartitioned and unformatted HDD? It's simply not possible. dubbio.gif

If your computer doesn't boot, boot from a DOS 6 or DOS 7 floppy, then run Setup.exe in the Win9x folder. If you computer can boot without a boot floppy, it already contains an operating system.

I can boot with a floppy startdisk, made with an Win XP computer.

:blink: You misunderstood me. I meant you'd be all set to actually install Win9x.

Of course you'd have to creat at least one active partition, format and sys the disk before anything.

But how did you intend to copy a folder onto an unpartitioned and unformatted HDD? It's simply not possible. dubbio.gif

Of course your right :whistle:

I'm waiting for one of these 2.5" IDE HDD USB External Case

Wonder if it's possible to format the 2.5" HDD correctly using that case?

I also ordered this one today Dual Compact Flash CF to 44 Pin IDE Adapter Converter

But delivery is about two weeks.

Of course your right :whistle:

I'm waiting for one of these 2.5" IDE HDD USB External Case

Wonder if it's possible to format the 2.5" HDD correctly using that case?

Sure. In several ways. If you have a XP machine handy, the Verbatim formatter may be the easiest one to use. See this thread. After you use this tool to create a single partittion and format it, just copy the Win9x folder to it, remount it in the laptop and, after booting from the floppy, go to the Win9x folder and run Setup.exe. That should be it.