Wake on Wireless LAN (wowlan)

nickster

USB, PCI, PCI Express? I'm sure you can find them in UK too, and you were right about the location of this post ---> moved to hardware section.

Thanks for the reply nitropuppy and thanks for moving the thread to the correct place.

Would prefer PCI or PCIe. I've contacted an online shop and they suggested an Edimax EW-7727IN but they also said to contact the manufacturer directly for confirmation. I'm awaiting their reply atm. I've had a look at the manual for the device but it isn't clear whether it does support it or not although it does mention Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WMM) which I read elsewhere is how wowlan works.

I must say I've never seen any WIFI NIC with WoL. To trigger a PC with a radio signal while the computer is in Sx (S1 or S3 for example) state will require at least some voltage on the card, in this case almost the full power is needed too function to use WoL over WIFI. I also think that WIFI can't work with "the magic packet" as they call it for WoL. But hey, I could be walking behind the facts ;).

EDIT: And that 30USD Edimax doesn't have the option, no need to wait for a reply, that's just a stock N-draft (300 down max when not using any up) card.

Let me point some of the network geeks to this topic :).

I must say I've never seen any WIFI NIC with WoL. To trigger a PC with a radio signal while the computer is in Cx (C1 or C3 for example) state will require at least some voltage on the card, in this case almost the full power is needed too function to use WoL over WIFI. I also think that WIFI can't work with "the magic packet" as they call it for WoL. But hey, I could be walking behind the facts ;).

EDIT: And that 30USD Edimax doesn't have the option, no need to wait for a reply, that's just a stock N-draft (300 down max when not using any up) card.

Let me point some of the network geeks to this topic :).

Thanks for the reply puntoMX.

I have read conflicting reports of wowlan. Many date back a few years but it seems more recently that a few cards do support the feature. The following articles caught my eye:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee851581(WS.10).aspx

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-029827.htm

I've found a couple of laptop cards that do support the feature but I would like to find something more suitable for a desktop if possible.

"In case the computer being woken is communicating via Wi-Fi, the wake-up-packet can be sent via Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WMM).[1]. This may also be called Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN).[2] Wakeup over Wi-Fi networks was not possible in previous implementations of Wake-on-LAN."

I got that from Digeratiprime here on MSFN, and it seems that some Intel NICs do support it.

And that indeed dated from years back. Before I remember there was a 3 pin header on mobo and on the NIC that would trigger the system to start up, also modems would do this but a telephone line is about 60V (In Holland at least), so power would not have been a problem.

I'm a bit lost as well...