Partitioning re: Starting at Sector 63/64

burpnrun

I read that Win7 (and Vista too, IIR), when partitioning a new HD, start at sector 64 as opposed to XP which would start at 63 (hope I have this right).

1. Is there any benefit in pre-partitioning a new non-4K HDD, to start at sector 64, for XP? Assume SATA2 in "compatibility" mode. I mean, if Vista/7 have improved performance by not having to split a read or whatnot over two sectors, would the same benefit accrue to XP? Also, any problems?

2. Really the same question about Linux, since I intend to dual/triple boot OSs. (Saves posting in two different forums)

3. A general question on XP and the new 4K HDDs: If the answer to #1 is, "Yeah, fine", can't the "pre-partitioning at sector 64" technique be effective for XP and the new 4K drives?

TIA.

PS. Forgot to mention. I intend to have the first partition as a Fat16 for DOS ... not so much for DOS, as for having XP's NTLDR/Boot.ini setup there. Would DOS be more susceptible to partitioning starting at 64 vs 63?

You got most (but not all) of it right.

The feature/issue is about "partition boundary alignment".

Depending on the DOS you will be using (and on the DOS programs you will use in it) you DO NOT want to have that partition NOT respecting the 63 Head boundary.

DOS should normally have a CHS compatible geometry on the partitions it can access.

Read here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/index.htm

A good idea is to use the same for XP also, if you plan to use Vista/7, as some SERIOUS problems that may lead to data loss :ph34r: have emerged.

Read this:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9897&hl=

Where more info is given.

jaclaz

Thanks for the reply; the BootLand link is QUITE good (albeit long).

For anyone surface reading this thread, the TAKEAWAY is: keep using XP (old style) partitioning, trusting nothing to Vista and Win7 Disk Management and Partitioning. Best compatability, least grief, no discernible performance difference.

When the "new 4K sector HDD" issue becomes mainstream in terms of usage/takeup and problems, revisit the subject of partition boundaries to see how vendors (incl MS) are dealing with the changes/problems.

For anyone surface reading this thread, the TAKEAWAY is: keep using XP (old style) partitioning, trusting nothing to Vista and Win7 Disk Management and Partitioning. Best compatability, least grief, no discernible performance difference.

When the "new 4K sector HDD" issue becomes mainstream in terms of usage/takeup and problems, revisit the subject of partition boundaries to see how vendors (incl MS) are dealing with the changes/problems.

Very well summed up! :thumbup

jaclaz