vlite wasted my time

amnios

so I go ahead and create a vlite of my SP1 genuine Vista 64.

go to all the trouble of configuring my new SSD and formatting it.

INstalling os

running updates

installing updates to my motherboard

installing virus software

etc, etc

and when I go to download SP2 and install it says i screwed up by using vlite because some components required by SP2 install are missing.

So now guess what I get to do!!!?

start all over.

Now i'm hesitant to use vlite again because of this SP2 issue.

How did I not come across such a big issue in vlite or the forum? Like a big red flag that says stop!! do not vlite/remove this component.

Because I have no idea what component it was now.

Thanks Vlite.

Last Session.ini

vlite wasted my time

That's allright :whistle:, since you apparently wasted that of the members who tried to help you :ph34r:, as I see it, please do correct me if I am misunderstanding :):

You asked if SP2 is needed and how to add it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=142596

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=142602

You were told basically that:

1. it is not "necessary", but "advised"
  2. you won't be able to add it on a vlited install
  3. you would need to slipstream to source BEFORE vliting

You basically replied:

• that's OK, I won't slipstream SP2 since I won't need it or it is too difficult

And now you are here to whine about not being able to install SP2 on a vlited install? :w00t:

BTW you changed opinion on vlite pretty fast ;):

Seems like this little vlite program is really cool. Thanks for all the help.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I certainly dont remember reading that a vlite install will not take a SP2 update... but now that I google that it's all over the net like common knowledge!

It seems that the path of information is generally fragmented across the internet. You get up to your neck in something only to learn one piece of new information that if you knew before you would not have done all the things you just did.

In this way my opinion on SP2 not being needed was until I read last night that SP1 support is being discontinued which basically means I am forced to upgrade to SP2 if I want future updates.

I do not plan on moving to Windows 7 unless I'm forced to so looking forward to perhaps 1-3 years or more of non updated Vista is not acceptable to me.

By the way I installed my SP1 vlite and in my virtual machine is was about 6 GB... in reality when I installed it on my SSD is was about 10 GB... then doing updates took me to 20GB!!! If I was to get SP2 on what would I goto then?!?!?

Vlite is great to shrink vista marginally so, but its the updates that kill you in terms of space. Now I'm forced to look at my original question over a week ago...

is a 30 GB SSD sufficient to install Vista to SP2 once I have to use a non vlited(read original full) install. I don't think it will be.. it will be 30GB by the time I'm done.

By the way, how to I get an original SP2 vista disk as I've already obviously purchased a SP1 disk... is there free disks provided by MS?

Edited by amnios

It seems that the path of information is generally fragmented across the internet.

Yep, exactly: life is tough! :(

You get up to your neck in something only to learn one piece of new information that if you knew before you would not have done all the things you just did.

...the good thing is that every time you learn something more ;):

Life is "trying things to see if they work"

By the way, how to I get an original SP2 vista disk as I've already obviously purchased a SP1 disk... is there free disks provided by MS?

I don't think that such a DVD is available. :unsure:

But why don't you slipstream SP2 as you have been advised to do here?:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=142596

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=142596&st=1

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz