Windows 7 Crashes unexpectedly

newprouser

I'm using a windows 7 Ultimate, x86 which stops working randomly without any reason.

since the problem always occured when i was away from the desktop i'm not able to tell

what exactly happened . I just leave windows is running, and return back to find that

the monitor has gone into power saving mode and i found that the CPU was still powered

on but there was no HDD usage at all.

There is no response to any keyboard or mouse activity.

Initially i felt it could have been because the PC had gone into sleep because of power

options, but then the CPU is still on.

Upon on pressing power switch it INSTANTLY shuts down.

--

I doubt this could be due to 3rd party software incompatibility, because i haven't installed

anything new in the past few days.

Most problems with Windows are usually present longer than you'd expect. Things do not typically "just happen" out of nowhere. Your first place to look for clues would be in the Event Viewer.

I couldn't find any significant error in even viewer. one thing though it has correctly

recorded the time when i switched off the PC, even though the PC seemed like it had

crashed...

After it shuts down, if you power it back on does it give you the "recovery" menu (start windows normally, safe mode, etc. options), or does Windows boot normally? If it's the latter, it sounds more like the system is failing to go into a power-saving state properly (probably hibernation failure, as is common with BIOS power-saving issues). Running "powercfg -h off" might change things, and is worth a try if this is the case.

After it shuts down, if you power it back on does it give you the "recovery" menu (start windows normally, safe mode, etc. options), or does Windows boot normally? If it's the latter, it sounds more like the system is failing to go into a power-saving state properly (probably hibernation failure, as is common with BIOS power-saving issues). Running "powercfg -h off" might change things, and is worth a try if this is the case.

yes, it gives the safe mode and other options, and also the event viewer report states:

"SleepInProgress - false "

Edited by newprouser

OK, so it is a failure to sleep, although the immediate shutdown is the wildcard. Assuming you have the latest motherboard BIOS for your system, and it implements the S1 and S3 states properly, it might be best to test to get a trace of this and see what's happening, as it seems something (driver, perhaps) is causing the failure to sleep.

I ran the trace for hibernate mode, and the trace dump is about 81 Mb (~20 compressed) ,

do you want me to host it somewhere and pm the link ?

---

btw i forgot to mention that sometimes i've had issues when resuming from

standby - the monitor would be on , but will only display an entirely black

screen. so i'd usually put it to standby again and resume it, it would be

fine.

so your guess of a driver issue seems highly probable.

Edited by newprouser

well for some reason i had previously set a full memory dump, so its a ~2 GB dump now :(

could you tell me what i've to do to analyze it ? i do that and post the results...

--

meanwhile should i change dump setting to minimal or kernel dump , just in case

the BSOD happens again i could post the kind of dump which you want.

You can try analyze it yourself using the Debugger tools for Windows. You also need to get the symbols for your OS. Even then it can be confusing if you don't know what you are looking at.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

If you can upload the dump file, there are a couple users here that can read it for you.

well for some reason i had previously set a full memory dump, so its a ~2 GB dump now sad.gif

could you tell me what i've to do to analyze it ? i do that and post the results...

--

meanwhile should i change dump setting to minimal or kernel dump , just in case

the BSOD happens again i could post the kind of dump which you want.

PM sent.